Newbie here trying to decide....

Racemethanol29

Been running USCA for a number of year and transitioning to NASA and AI, trying to decide whether to run AI or AIX, since Im not very familiar have a few questions, have reads the rules a bunch of times, but still unsure

the car I'm currently building will fit well in AI, however not sure that I can detune the two engines I currently have enough to fit within the power to weight ratio rule...one will easily make 420 whps and the other over 500

what power level are the typical AIX cars running, whps, etc

what should I expect between AI and AIX

the car is a vintage 1965 Dart, coil over suspension with a modern Hemi, Tremec TR6060 transmission and a solid Ford DB cambered road racing rear axle....

thank you

Luke

Go to events in the area you plan to compete. See how many cars are in class and if you hit it off with the group. I personally have the most fun with a group of easy going people and right racing that you can sit around and tell tall tales after.

In general though, AIX tends to have less competitors and a bigger spread of speeds.

Cost to run a solid AI car should be cheaper as well. Good luck and if you’re in the eastern side of the Midwest, hit us up!

attended an HPDE event at VIR earlier in the year which is what got me interested in AI + I have a car mothballed that will fit that group well, only issue that i can see is detuning the engine to meet the power rule....

Luke

I run CMC and know most of the AI guys that run at VIR. In Mid-Atlantic AI might field 3 cars.....or upwards of 7-8 on occasion. AIX I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 (but I'm not keeping count). The other difference is AI cars are often close battling W2W while the AIX cars can be a 1/4 mile apart 2 laps into the race. I would certainly de-tune/lower compression/something to run with a group. AS for the paddock, you can certainly still hang with them but you won't have much to talk about!

• 1 month later...

You don't have to de-tune.

There are simpler and more widely used methods to restrict HP and TQ.   Install an air restrictor before the throttle body in an EFI engine.  A simple piece of aluminum or steel sheet, cut to the circumference of the throttle body and a smaller hole cut in the middle.  Make several with different diameter holes to adjust HP and TQ while at the dyno shop.

Or a throttle stop on a carb engine.   Hoerr racing and others sell throttle stops.  Pretty simple.

They generally work great , with no ill effects, just less HP and TQ.

• 4 years later...
On 8/30/2018 at 5:33 AM, Racemethanol29 said:

my current ride

32938081_876594662528495_4408682370547318784_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=63bd17dc09c9c31e3c394631dbb06154&oe=5BF65856

29792765_899801186847577_7789389227990998782_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ce1b8aede7f34dc68af1e31ceacd0022&oe=5BF044F4

color by number

Participate in local events in your target market. Find out how many vehicles are enrolled in your course and whether or if you have any common interests with your classmates. For me, the best times are spent with a bunch of chill individuals and some good old-fashioned racing, after which we can all sit around and swap tall yarns.