sips56

Rule Proposal: Tire Size restrictions

Ev

At least in GtS2. I’m not convinced that wider tires are faster. Perceived performance doesn’t equal actual performance.

Betts15

Well said Luke Pardi.

I could be missing something but every long term successful racing series that I am aware of has some sort of tire rule.

Anyone that has been around racing for a long time has seen many divisions/classes rise and fall for a variety of reasons. Rules can be an issue either way; too many or too few.

Running in GTS attracted me, and maybe others, because of the car count and close competition. Hope that continues.

Bruce Betts

Rocky Mtn

GTS2

jvanhouten

Against.

As we saw at COTA in GTS2, the range of tire widths at the sharp end of the field was from 245 to 295, maybe even wider than that. There wasn't a huge advantage to cars on wider tires. period.

There is the initial fixed cost to flare your car, if you decide to go that route, can be done cheap on most cars, maybe the cost of one or two sets of tires.

I run in GTS4 (maybe 3 next year), so it doesn't really affect me, but I feel it is against the spirit of the rules and a red herring. The person that can afford to bring fresh tires to every weekend is going to be at a big advantage, regardless of width.

gjkasten
Against.

As we saw at COTA in GTS2, the range of tire widths at the sharp end of the field was from 245 to 295, maybe even wider than that. There wasn't a huge advantage to cars on wider tires. period.

I'm curious, who of the top 3 were running 245's at the front of GTS2 at COTA?

daytonars4
Against.

I'm curious, who of the top 3 were running 245's at the front of GTS2 at COTA?

Foss had his e36 on 245's with no rear wing. It was a pretty intense battle between P1-P3 before they all went out.

mdgreen

+1 for no tire size restriction. This is exactly why I don't race in ST. And even though going to wider tires hasn't seemed to make me any faster in GTS2, I like having the freedom to experiment.

Mike Dovorany

NASA SoCal

GTS2

Doug Young

I oppose tire size restrictions. I don't want an obstacle to normal car development.

Jake@JMU

I'm on 245s in GTS2 and oppose the tire size restriction. We've got a pretty sizable (consistent) field in Mid-Atlantic and have had people podium on 245s as much as on 285s. The guys who went all-out with flares, big wheels and fat tires are the first ones to tell you "eh, I'm not sure if it's that helpful" when you ask. So, why not keep allowing the experimentation? The appeal of GTS is generally simplistic rules.

Seeing others with a 245/otherwise similar setup to myself go faster than me doesn't make me wish for wider tires, it makes me realize I need some seat time and/or coaching. But let's keep allowing for unique builds.

• Like 1