Rule Proposal: Change How Avg HP is calculated

rcrescencio

1. The proposed addition or change.

Simplify how average HP is calculated.

2. The reason behind the proposal.

The website (laptop and/or mobile devide) don't always show the correct/consistent numbers. The formula isn't transparent and makes it more complicated/difficult than it needs to be. I'm all for average HP, but GTS is way too complicated and lack transparency in its algorithm. ST average HP rules, for example, uses this formulaAvg HP = [Max HP +(sum of the seven highest data points)]/ 8. The number of points can be modified, but there isn't any magic behind trying to get the "area" under the curve for an average HP.

3. Any documentation supporting the request.

At Nationals, my input values on the phone did not match laptop values. After a dyno compliance run, the Series director showed me my new calculated minimum weight, only to come back 1 hour later with different values because all of the sudden the calculator showed him different results. With a simple arithmetic, there wouldn't be any surprises on either side (officials and participants).

4. Proposals to be submitted and signed by GTS members to be considered. (indicate Class and Region, please).

Applicable to all classes

Roberto Crescencio

GTS3 - Mid Atlantic

That's a step in the right direction, but i suspect the formula is more complex than just 8 numbers divided by 8.

so maybe rather than change the way the avg is calculated, just publish the formula?

so maybe rather than change the way the avg is calculated, just publish the formula?

Agreed, any 6th grader could do it in Excel if they need some assistance.

I am fine with the current calculation as long as you figure out a way to may it produce consistent results. Otherwise will need to simplify the process.

Lawrence Gibson

GTS2/3

Midatlantic

• John S. locked this topic