FWD Techniques Questions - Trail braking, left foot braking, tips?

wdritchey_dc2

Some background - 

I just joined NASA this spring. I've done two events, moved to HPDE2 at the end of my first event. Driving my daily Acura RSX Type-S and next year will start taking out my 94 Integra GSR that is gutted, suspension upgrades, stock motor.

I'm learning at a pretty decent pace. So far I have just been focusing on being safe, braking before I should but trying to brake consistently. Being my daily so far, I will coast my car at redline in 4th at 100mph in a straight vs squeezing another 10-20mph out of it. I wouldn't say I'm fast around the track, but I am trying to drive better lines and focus on how smooth I can execute techniques so when I add speed I won't get sloppy.

I notice some courses are not FWD friendly at all. Getting the car to rotate can be a beast with understeer. I have plowed my car on many of these corners. Low HP, so I can point it and floor it wide to the curbing. But this isn't the fastest way around the track. I hear trail braking is essential for rotating the car. I just don't want to trail brake like people the street (unconsciously). And I know left foot braking in corners w/o a downshift can allow smoother cornering and less weight transfer to the nose of an already front heavy car.

Any tips to practice these techniques? Ways to safely practice on public streets before trying on track? Any additional techniques or considerations? I am very happy with my heel toe and my straight line braking. Throttle input is smooth getting on, but could improve on lifting off before corners. Want to prepare myself for the future, and much faster, HPDE3 group. Thanks all!

• Administrators
6 hours ago, wdritchey_dc2 said:

Some background - 

I just joined NASA this spring. I've done two events, moved to HPDE2 at the end of my first event. Driving my daily Acura RSX Type-S and next year will start taking out my 94 Integra GSR that is gutted, suspension upgrades, stock motor.

I'm learning at a pretty decent pace. So far I have just been focusing on being safe, braking before I should but trying to brake consistently. Being my daily so far, I will coast my car at redline in 4th at 100mph in a straight vs squeezing another 10-20mph out of it. I wouldn't say I'm fast around the track, but I am trying to drive better lines and focus on how smooth I can execute techniques so when I add speed I won't get sloppy.

I notice some courses are not FWD friendly at all. Getting the car to rotate can be a beast with understeer. I have plowed my car on many of these corners. Low HP, so I can point it and floor it wide to the curbing. But this isn't the fastest way around the track. I hear trail braking is essential for rotating the car. I just don't want to trail brake like people the street (unconsciously). And I know left foot braking in corners w/o a downshift can allow smoother cornering and less weight transfer to the nose of an already front heavy car.

Any tips to practice these techniques? Ways to safely practice on public streets before trying on track? Any additional techniques or considerations? I am very happy with my heel toe and my straight line braking. Throttle input is smooth getting on, but could improve on lifting off before corners. Want to prepare myself for the future, and much faster, HPDE3 group. Thanks all!

Welcome to NASA. I think your understeer is caused by the stock suspension in your car. With a properly setup suspension and good tires, your FWD can be made to turn.  Trail braking is useful on track with a properly setup car. I would not practice trail braking on the street. Great article about trail braking for your reading pleasure. https://nasaspeed.news/columns/driver-instruction/what-is-trail-braking-why-should-i-do-it-how-is-it-done/

• Administrators
5 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I had the same issues (RWD) when I started out. The issue wasn't the car, it was me entering the turns too fast.

Could also be a factor. 

Majority of production cars are made to understeer so you do not kill yourself on the street.