NOV. 12-13 AT BUTTONWILLOW. WHO'S GOING?

billpennock

Ok so I know it's early but my last race in SCCA is coming up in late October and you guys still have a race at buttonwillow in November. I'd like to know if I show up how many 944's I'm likely to see? I'd really like to get a chance to race with you guys assuming the car holds out and I can get out of the office.

I got 1:51.3 at Laguna this past weekend so I'm creeping down. I put coilovers on the front and went to 350lb springs and camber plates and it helped a bunch. Felt like a new car. I'm getting a chip next week for a tweak on the HP. 944-spec is Toyo RA tires right? Not that I'm worried about points of course.

So let's turn this post into the "official" invitation for the November Buttonwillow event.

Drivers planning to attend:

Tim Comeau

Mikael Weitze

Dylan Scott

Jim Marks

Mark Foley

Bill Addy

Mike Zanghi HPDE

Bill Pennock

Tom Spargo

John Rickard HPDE

Host hotel will probably be the Willow Inn again. Bring your fresh videos to the Willow Ranch restaurant/ bar and share them with the crowd on the big screen TV.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Comeau

• PeanutinCA

• billpennock

• 944-Spec#94

I'll be there . Yes Toyo RA is the tire. You can by them from Chapman BMW in Scottsdale AZ, shipped to your place of choice. Bryan Shackleford is the guy-480.675.8700.

Very good, thanks for the reply. I run normally in NorCal SCCA under ITS rules. We don't have a bunch of 944's here yet, there is one other in SCCA and I understand 2 in NASA this year. Somehow I'm hoping to get them together under one or the other but in the mean time I want to take all I've learned this year and run around with a bunch of similar cars instead of all the &@$* Miata's. Ok some of those guys are my good friends but I'm still tired of see'n 'em. hehehe

Dang Mee-ahz-dahs!

Bill, most of our drivers run on 350-400 lb springs and 30mm torsions in the rear.

It would be great to see you in Nov at Buttonwillow!

Addy?

Foley?

Benbow? (show casing the car for sale)

Dicius?

Ray?

Puddester?

Dement?

Marks?

Richmond?

Pag?

Weeks?

McConnell?

Rickard?

Steele?

Corwin?

Wright?

Get the idea????????? There's a bunch of 944's out there. Let's gather them up for a big event. Just once..........

Zangh-meister! You're not just an "extra Porsche guy." You're a valued addition to our group because your car is a source of parts for my car!

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Attendance list has been moved to the first post for easier finding. If you guys can take 5 minutes, please register NOW. I'm working with Bryan at Chapman BMW again. If we can get at least 10 drivers committed, something good will happen! Please register now.

Edited by Guest

Barring sudden unexpected priorities I'll be there. It will be great to actually put faces and cars to the posts here. Wonder if we can get Ken Huey down also. There is another guy, Howard, running the last couple of races up north too. I'll be talking to him next week at THill so I'll ask him if he would like to show up.

He said it was a lot of little things that affected the mixture. Ultimately he said that most (all?) of the adjusting was in the potentiometer in the air meter. I thought it was a bunch too, the shop has a really good rep and they have done GREAT by me so far though and Stu is a racer himself so I have no reason at all to doubt him. I can't wait to see what that does to my times this weekend at Thunderhill and later what I can pull off at Buttonwillow

That makes sense. Being way off in mixture can make huge difference.

that is one reason we allow folks to "tune" the AFM. Bill you did not gain any hp, but certainly got plenty back that was missing. cool

you say tomatoe I say tomatoe (hey that doesn't work on email!). Anyway depending on how long it's been down it'll feel like a gain to me! I'm hoping it's been down for a long time and I suddenly get a big kick in the butt.

I think it has been down a while and getting worse. For some reason I remember when Bob Beck had the car it make like 117hp. That was low back then. It has probably been deteriorating since then.

You should notice a big boost however!

I guess my point is that tuning the AFM did not give you any more hp than everyone else. The 127 hp is right in line with the class. Back awhile ago we discussed the AFM adjustment. Some argued it made hp. I was in the camp of "it just prevents you from losing hp". It your case tuning the AFM did not give you more power than stock, but did finally bring you back to stock levels.

So tomato or tomatoe?

Whew, just call me Dan Quayle huh. I am on a different engine from Beck's.

Anyway I felt the difference something amazing. When I started the season I was doing 2:17's and an occasional 2:16 at Thunderhill. The race last weekend I was down to 2:12's. The difference is 350 coil overs on the front, 30 hp and my learning curve. It put me up with people I had only seen in the distance in the past. This is fun.

Greg Fordach was there and he said a Spec 944 should be able to do 2:09's at THill. He has been racing 944's for years and years so I figure that's probably max best. I am hoping to get into the 2:10's.

Joe, are you using 350's on the front still or heavier now?

Joe, are you using 350's on the front still or heavier now?

350's front and 30 mm rear t-bars.

I have considered 400 fronts, but have not done it.

Right now I really like the balance I have. The reason I am considering 400's is to improve nose dive under hard braking. If I did that then I would need to mess with sway bars to get back to the balance I want.

Of course the braking nose dive is not a concern for my racing at PIR. It was somewhat at cal speedway. Then again working on the driver is probably an even better idea.

Anyway I felt the difference something amazing. When I started the season I was doing 2:17's and an occasional 2:16 at Thunderhill. The race last weekend I was down to 2:12's. The difference is 350 coil overs on the front, 30 hp and my learning curve. It put me up with people I had only seen in the distance in the past. This is fun.

Greg Fordach was there and he said a Spec 944 should be able to do 2:09's at THill. He has been racing 944's for years and years so I figure that's probably max best. I am hoping to get into the 2:10's.

Bill congrats on the 2:12 at Thunderhill.

Steve H., Greg B. and myself have been stuck on 2:18-2:19 in our 944's.

Dan Lofgren will be coaching us at Thunderhill Nov. 10th to help lower our times. Our target time for Nov 10th was 2:15-2:16 but it looks like you just raised the bar.

I'll be at Thunderhill Nov 10th & 11th so won't be able to join you guys at Buttonwillow Nov. 12 & 13th.

Have a great race!