2019 Draft of Rules Changes open for discussion

Michael G.

23 hours ago, daytonars4 said:

The new Gen “entry level” factory race cars (TCR Audi/VW/Honda etc) are all FWD. Based on some anecdotal info from 4 racers in Midatlantic who have raced them, they seem faster than the current GTS3 cars at similar power to weight. Spotting them 1.0 doesn’t seem like it would be a good idea. 

New Gen Factory FWD race cars “Seem faster” lol...., what does that actually mean?

I am in a FWD, It’s a grocery getter not a inherently well designed proper German performing RWD M3, 911 or even 944t.

All of which I have owned and driven on the track.

Just looking for some chassis and tire equity after all there has been discussions regarding tire size limits and wide bodies. Which seems to be acceptable but try running a 245 tire with the majority of the work being done on the front axle, no inheritant disadvantage there. lol

But Whaaa......somebody runs 315’s at the same weight as 255’s and it’s a big discussion. 

Try running 245’s doing all the work on the front axle.

Yeah.....blah, blah I picked the wrong chassis deal with it. Ok...apply that to your situation someone else build a wide body, running wide Tires and you can’t afford to do that so let’s be exclusive not inclusive. 

“Learn me” how that is different?Why NASA’s largest ST/TT classing scheme allows more than .4 FWD allowance.

Are they wrong?

Edited by PAULB#51v3

IMSA TCR races at 2900lbs and 290whp which is 10 to 1. What you are proposing would put that same TCR car perfectly into the current 11.0 GTS3 ratio. The 4+ year old GTS3 lap record is 2:00 at VIR. The guys in my region who have run the GTI TCR have run 1:56-2:00’s. 2 guys in my region already own TCR’s. The reality is a couple more probably will eventually, including myself possibly. 1 TCR raced in ST3 at nationals in 2017 but had a mechanical I believe. So you want to handicap the entire field vs these cars to compensate for the weakness in your chassis? All I’m saying is there are massive unintended consequences for GTS if they were to do what you want. 

There is nothing that keeps you from adding fender flares to your car so you can run wider than 245’s. They cost like $400. So then what happens when someone shows up with a car on 295’s with FWD that isn’t even a TCR car? ST has a ton of rules that are different than GTS. They handicap RX8’s etc by .7 for “A-Arm” mods. .2 mod for a side exhaust. So frankly yes. There are some rules in ST that make absolutely no sense. So referencing ST is not a sign of validation for one rule vs another.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:37 AM, daytonars4 said:

IMSA TCR races at 2900lbs and 290whp which is 10 to 1. What you are proposing would put that same TCR car perfectly into the current 11.0 GTS3 ratio. The 4+ year old GTS3 lap record is 2:00 at VIR. The guys in my region who have run the GTI TCR have run 1:56-2:00’s. 2 guys in my region already own TCR’s. The reality is a couple more probably will eventually, including myself possibly. 1 TCR raced in ST3 at nationals in 2017 but had a mechanical I believe. So you want to handicap the entire field vs these cars to compensate for the weakness in your chassis? All I’m saying is there are massive unintended consequences for GTS if they were to do what you want. 

There is nothing that keeps you from adding fender flares to your car so you can run wider than 245’s. They cost like $400. So then what happens when someone shows up with a car on 295’s with FWD that isn’t even a TCR car? ST has a ton of rules that are different than GTS. They handicap RX8’s etc by .7 for “A-Arm” mods. .2 mod for a side exhaust. So frankly yes. There are some rules in ST that make absolutely no sense. So referencing ST is not a sign of validation for one rule vs another.

I know....

Just working it for my FWD homies.

I am unsure what the significance of the 2 numbers are as posted for each of the classes: GTS3 10.5/11.5 for example.  How can both apply?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I was reading the news at work and had an idea. I work in urban planning, and a real estate company said that this field would be redefined by self driving cars in this article, both the market and the actual plans of the houses and garages. 

So, what if there were to be self driving car races some day in the near future? Sure, it wouldn't be a human feat anymore as pilots wouldn't even be needed, but it would be one hell of a display of high technology and would be a huge PR boost to car manufacturers should they win the races. 

Would you find it cool to see it endorsed by the NASA, or would you rather have it stay outside of "real" car racing?

• John S. locked this topic