2019 ST 1-4 rules posted

Balroks

I see it on the site but isn't announced yet so to start of the discussion: 

1. You may already be working it but Yes, the +.2 4 door rule.  Back when, you (Greg) said that you'd eventually get rid of the 4 door rule because of the e chassis folks and lessen the AWD penalties at the same time because the rules were outdated.  I see the .2 is crossed out but the stiff AWD number remains.  As evidenced by say....10 years of results...there has yet to be any "dominating" let alone podium finishing AWD chassis since the TTR days to justify it, plain and simple.  In light of this I propose the following options

ST1-3 = .0 (because it was .1 with the 4 door)

ST4 = -.2

ST5/6 = -.4 ?

OR

Remove the AWD points and mandate a max tire width.  ST3 and 4 get a 275 tire, ST2 gets a 295 tire, and ST1 gets a 315 or something (naturally following the section width rule)  I think the points option is more of the direction you've been going over the past several years so it makes more sense but you tell us.  If you're afraid of the Grid/Global guys coming over I wouldn't.  Most of them can't drive and the cars are all HP which the rules already fix.

Edited by Balroks

• 2 weeks later...

No thank you on the Maximum Tire Width stuff.  This is addressed through credits for the smaller tire sizes currently and seems to work well.

Not sure what the situation is in your region, but in SoCal there is a very competitive EVO in ST3 (Justin Bordonaro) and he was on pole for the ST3 race during Nationals at COTA this year.

Edited by AZBOSS

Agreed but had to put it out there.  Focusing back on the fact that Justin, myself and many others are getting wacked .2 for nothing other then satisfying a e36 debate ?.  If one were to NOT mess with the rules as you said, then the .2 needs to get put back somewhere. 

• 1 month later...

Unless I'm misreading it, the ST rules still list 10" numbers, while the CCR says 12".  The CCR also says that class rules over-ride the CCR, so 10" numbers are still legal for ST as of now.

I also feel the 3100lb break between 245 and 275 tires in ST4 (on lower) should be 3000, as the weight break is.   Having so many different "break" points for different modifications is overly complex.   We get breaks and penalties for things, even when they are required in some cases, and a little streamlining would help in the future.

And finally, while I like the averaging formula, it now takes me longer to do the paperwork for ST  then the actual dyno time.  No advice here, just letting people know if their dyno starts charging extra for the paperwork.

Happy 2019 everyone!

• National Staff

David, 

Start using the Avg HP calculator.  It worked great at COTA.  It cuts out almost all of the extra work.  

My understanding is that the CCR is going back to 10” car numbers  

3100 was the number we came down to without full agreement, even though 3200 was the initial number.  

• National Staff

David,

Dynojet has problems with one of their recent software updates.  It’s not on the NASA side.  They are planning to fix it.  Please e-mail Roman (cc me) some of your recent run files, and we’ll see what the problem is.  

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, davidfarmer said:

all I get are zero's and a nonsensical 13,430 max rpm.   I'm using Winpep7

nasa.jpg

I am working on the directions on how to use the tool. As Greg said, email us your Dynojet file and we will test it out.

Roman

• National Staff

David,

I didn't get an e-mail--not sure if Roman did.  But, please send the actual Dynojet file (along with your export file).

Thanks!

• National Staff

However, I think the only issue is that you didn't uncheck all of the header and other boxes on the Export menu box.

See this thread:

Roman is working on getting the screen shot instructions for the Avg HP calculator posted. 

for anyone watching this, we figured it out.

You must export rpm and power only (no torque), and it must be comma delimited.   If you get anything other than numbers and commas, it won't work.   I sometimes get an "-inf" data point, which I assume is an error/"not enough data" marker.  You need to either put a number in, or just delete that line from your txt file.

data.jpg

Edited by davidfarmer

I was the one who posted in the other thread.  All I did was un-check all the boxes in the info/header area, selected tab delineated and unchecked the format for printing in data export window.  This a snip from my .txt file and it has all of the info in it, rpm, hp, tq, afr?   I uploaded the .txt and it worked?  Using Winpep  7.  

1152089919_Dataexporttxtsnip.JPG.8cee10008b5a140557173ae33ad0fa3a.JPG1864483464_Exportdatasnip.JPG.189c99ccb3c4b7ce6624e9388dc3af7e.JPG

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, erik911 said:

I was the one who posted in the other thread.  All I did was un-check all the boxes in the info/header area, selected tab delineated and unchecked the format for printing in data export window.  This a snip from my .txt file and it has all of the info in it, rpm, hp, tq, afr?   I uploaded the .txt and it worked?  Using Winpep  7.  

1152089919_Dataexporttxtsnip.JPG.8cee10008b5a140557173ae33ad0fa3a.JPG1864483464_Exportdatasnip.JPG.189c99ccb3c4b7ce6624e9388dc3af7e.JPG

You only need rpm and horsepower numbers. No torque. 

Roman

• Administrators
1 hour ago, davidfarmer said:

for anyone watching this, we figured it out.

You must export rpm and power only (no torque), and it must be comma delimited.   If you get anything other than numbers and commas, it won't work.   I sometimes get an "-inf" data point, which I assume is an error/"not enough data" marker.  You need to either put a number in, or just delete that line from your txt file.

data.jpg

"inf" could be a bad RPM pickup point. 

Roman

Roman,

This is true, only rpm and hp is what is required. 

All I was pointing out was if the run data includes all items (including tq and afr), for me anyway, it did not prevent the calculator from working.  YMMV.

Erik 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, erik911 said:

Roman,

This is true, only rpm and hp is what is required. 

All I was pointing out was if the run data includes all items (including tq and afr), for me anyway, it did not prevent the calculator from working.  YMMV.

Erik 

The calculator might work. The result, however, might be incorrect.

Roman