Bedding brakes on a non-street legal track car.

wdritchey_dc2

I have an Integra for track only use. I've had plates on it before, but it's fallen into a grey area where Missouri considers cars with Lexan windows illegal for street, suspension is miserably stiff, but drive able on street. Front turn signals aren't wired up, no horn, etc. Before I would be my brakes on the street when traffic was low, but I don't want to drive it illegally. But is there really any alternative? There's not a track local where I can just go for half an hour to bed them. I'm planning on using DTC30 pads and Hawk rotors.

I have similar issue.  My car is track only and when I change pads, rotors, etc, I need to do some bedding.  Best solution I've found is, at the track events, usually the 1st session/run of the day is not as aggressive as the remainder of the day, so I do my bedding in then.  Start off in the back, do my thing, bring it in and let it rest and should be ready for the remainder of the weekend.

My car is full core race prep without turn signals, etc. I started buying "pre-bed" pads because I too didn't want to waste a session bedding in brakes. I've done this so long I don't even "hold back" when I first install new pads and haven't noticed a problem from first session to the last on the pads (I use Carbotech and LOVE them!)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, t500hps said:

My car is full core race prep without turn signals, etc. I started buying "pre-bed" pads because I too didn't want to waste a session bedding in brakes. I've done this so long I don't even "hold back" when I first install new pads and haven't noticed a problem from first session to the last on the pads (I use Carbotech and LOVE them!)

I've heard of this and would love to buy pre-bedded pads and rotors! But I haven't seen anywhere to buy them. I wanted to use Hawk pads because of the NASA partnership with them. But for convenience I'd be open to whatever brands offer this.

20 hours ago, 427R said:

I have similar issue.  My car is track only and when I change pads, rotors, etc, I need to do some bedding.  Best solution I've found is, at the track events, usually the 1st session/run of the day is not as aggressive as the remainder of the day, so I do my bedding in then.  Start off in the back, do my thing, bring it in and let it rest and should be ready for the remainder of the weekend.

That's a good thought too. I've considered this, but would hate to sacrifice a session just to bed pads. I wish they had an area of parking lot closed off for people to do this. I'm sure there's other that have encountered this problem too.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, wdritchey_dc2 said:

That's a good thought too. I've considered this, but would hate to sacrifice a session just to bed pads. I wish they had an area of parking lot closed off for people to do this. I'm sure there's other that have encountered this problem too.

Yea, that would make things easier.  I used to do that years ago at Mid Ohio, go out on the nearby county road and bed the brakes, but....homeowners along the road complained so we had to stop.

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, vidya31 said:

What are these Hawk rotors ?

Hawk DTC60 pads and cryo treated blank rotors, nothing fancy. Couple of the guys in HC recommended that setup.

• 2 months later...