• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PeanutinCA

• Spec-944#70

• 924sowner

• Tim Comeau

To Jim Marks,

I agree that the rules should be left alone for now but what the hell is your problem? What did a Unicorn, the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny ever do to you that you would have them banned from the class?

I just took an order for a new car from one of the aforementioned beings and now you are telling me I have to cancel that order? Perhaps we should just ban former Cart drivers too!

I think you should spend a little more time driving your car and stay away from the politics. You obviously have issues to deal with and I see no need to aire your problems here.

Glen Uslan

hopefully i will be able to join you guys out there! need a kill switch first though.... back to the original topic yeah it might be best to just leave the rules alone and focus on track time and event turnouts. who knows, maybe this class will be the source for all the fastest drivers becasue things are so competitive not between cars but between drivers, allways forcing someone to improve themselves and not necicarily the car.

That's the probalem Mike, there is still the 'perception' of car equalities. And, it's somewhat true. If you bring your car out now, no matter how good a driver you are, you will be down the order. There are cars with lots of development and continual development. There is a perception that my 88 is an advantage. A perception that headers or 'stepped' headers are an advantage, perception that 28mm bars are better. And the biggest problem, nobody can honestly deny or confirm any of these because it would cost a bunch of money to test and at that point are you going to give the knowledge for free? It's said over and over that certain things we do are not going to make a difference, we are not good enough. Not sure if I fall for that one? So and so set this track record with stock bars and 250 pouns extra weight. OK, but what about the rest of the equation? It's was the absolute perfect temp, different tires, a norrow 924s with better aero. All factors that cannot be confirmed or denied. One this they are noticing in the POC is that on fast straight tracks, the narrow body 911's have an advantage over the wide bodies. So, does that mean an advantage for the 924s over the 944? Maybe? There are many variables and many people with many opinions. Which is why it becomes less and less important to zip up the rules. Perhaps it would be better to just zip up the percetions both ways i.e. they cannot be confirmed, but then they cannot be denied either.

The only way this or any series for that matter could be a true drivers series, would be first to have a single car and everybody time trials it. Second would be factory of the shelf cars with the exact same mods, maintain by an independent body. Pick a key and that's your car for the weekend. Next would be our class with a single set of allowed components, no choices. Next from that would be what we have. Mostly a single set of choices, with a little bit of wiggle room.

Now get your glue sniffing on and strip that interior!

P.Dilly.

umm, im curious here... i thought welded diffs were illegal.

13.2 Differential

The ring and pinion must remain stock, which is 3.889 final drive ratio.

13.2.1 Welded differentials may be used. Any limited slip differential may be used.

Mike,

Just to keep you from getting TOO tainted by Dillys pestimism... Here are some facts...

1) There is NO dominant car in 944SPEC. If you ask Dylan if there is ANYONE that he can't beat on any given day, WITH HIS CURRENT SETUP... I am confident, he will tell you no. WHY? Because he has beaten everyone in the class at one point or another. This either means that 1) cars are equal and Dylans a talented driver, 2) There are way better cars than Dylan and Dylan is secretly Kimi's twin brother. just waiting for the second Red Bull team to be formed... or 3) DYLAN has the unbeatable setup and this whole thread is a secret attempt to cover that fact..... I tend to believe option number one...

2) There are ROUGHLY 15 cars that run 944 spec in SoCal on a race to race basis.... THIS YEAR, races have been won by... Dylan Scott, Duane Dement, Mikael Weite, TC, Bill Addy, Glenn Uslan and Jim Marks (although even a blind squirrel will find a nut, once in a while...)

That is 7 winners out of an estimated 15 cars!!!! ALMOST HALF THE CURRENT 944-SPEC racers have won a race.... Show me ANY other class like that....

This class REALLY is where you belong... and as you already know, there are very few secrets.... If you have ANY questions about setup.... just ask.

Yes yes, Jim is right. In case it didn't come across, I've been very tongue in cheek!

My realization was, having to deal with neck problems, I didn't want to work on car setup. I literally was being lazy. So I was trying to turn the corner and poking fun saying watch out, coz I'm going to make all these changes to my car. I'm just poking fun most of the time. Some things I have said are true. You will need to come with your A game. But that's because the class has, and is producing, very talented drivers. Take Jason W. for example. He went from 944 Spec to V3 in POC and was instantly running up near the front. That's amazing as V3 is one of the most competitive classes in POC.

So, don't take too much of what I say to heart, I'm mostly screwing around. I'm playing the phsyc game on everyone before we even hit the track!

P.Dilly.

p.s. I take back any comments with regard to stepped headers in 944 spec. Apparently I mis-understood the story. Dang pains in my butt telling me one thing then another. Anyway, my point was what I said stands true for POC V3/JP. It has happened, it is possible here. Probably a waste of money in a 944 though. If someone wants to throw away their cash, go for it. Anyway, I think it's all Eric's fault and he is the pixie that Jim speaks of!

That's it Dilly!! I'm no pixie!!! I may not be as good a driver as you but maybe to shut this thread up I'll get Dwain to drive my 944 at WS in Dec and shut you all up!! The the theorys of 28mm and Bilstiens with high $ headers will go away and we can just race again. Would all of you like to see that!!?? I would almost bet that Dwain could take my car as is and give you all a run for your money!!

If you are interested I'll see if he's up for the butt kicking!!

Dwain is in the middle of several points races so here's the deal. He'll hop in anyones cars and do 3-4 laps and beat your best time in your own car with your setup. Next year if you'd like and it sounds like fun to me is that we all put our keys in a hat a draw cars for a race. Sort of like IROC you race what you get. Of course there would need to be the understanding the driver is not responsible if your motor lets go.

He has been helpfull to most of us with setup and driving tips. If there was a way to get extra HP out of the cars some of the other shops would have figured it out too. There is just nothing left! He has no silver bullet.

How's that sound?

don't forget I also won a race....PCA/POC festival of speed at Cal Speedway. Seems like a hell of a long time ago, but it was '05.

That makes it a majority 8 out of 15 different drivers that have won events in '05

BTW, I am going to be finishing up my other 944 and trying to get in a couple of enduro races before the end of the year. Work has been really busy with our new radio station taking off big time (latino 96.3)

Miss running with you guys...trying to catch back up on the posts after a long time away

>>>Next year if you'd like and it sounds like fun to me is that we all put our keys in a hat a draw cars for a race.<<<

Sounds great, but what about size difference in drivers?

I vote Eric goes in my car. Because I have a fixed seat and I think it would be funny to see the rub marks on the side of his helmet from his knees after driving!!!