Tightening up the specs?

Tim Comeau

Ok, so whats the deal here!! .. I have been absent a week or so and we talking about changing stuff up!! PLEASE TIM AND STEVE!!! LEAVE THE CRAP ALONE!! I am tired of every year at this time you guys start spending my money, the cars are fine buy your preset equipment install it race it and leave it alone, we do not need to get into ride hieght and spring rates! thats not the point of this class never has been! Just fix some holes inthe rules, seems to me that things are pretty good!

When you change stuff it hurts new driver involvement, just get new people, this is not a stepping stone for my racing the point is I cant afford a GT3 911 to race and frankly I dont want to, I like my 944 the way it is!

Sorry for delayed response, been busy!

Jason

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PeanutinCA

• Spec-944#70

• 924sowner

• Tim Comeau

Seat back braces can move too!!!! Mine locks in place and you can adjust it along with the drivers seat. That way It's not mandatory to find a 6'2" co-driver. BTW Mike W what ya doing in May? Care to kick TC's butt!!!

Mike, the seat back brace does not attach the seat to the cage if that's what your thinking? It stops the seat from vanishing under/through the cage if you back it into a wall. But it's (the brace) welded to the cage and NOT fixed to the seat. It can also have holes to allow it to slide in and out for adjustment if you want?

P.D.

Edited by Guest

OK, another post and this will need another thread. CCR's DO mention something about 'going back' I believe, and 15.6.something or other indicates it is to prevent failure of seatback. the only caveat they give is 'If your helmet can contact the roll cage in the event of impact (then you need a seat brace)'.

Ok, so whats the deal here!! .. I have been absent a week or so and we talking about changing stuff up!! PLEASE TIM AND STEVE!!! LEAVE THE CRAP ALONE!! I am tired of every year at this time you guys start spending my money, the cars are fine buy your preset equipment install it race it and leave it alone, we do not need to get into ride hieght and spring rates! thats not the point of this class never has been! Just fix some holes inthe rules, seems to me that things are pretty good!

When you change stuff it hurts new driver involvement, just get new people, this is not a stepping stone for my racing the point is I cant afford a GT3 911 to race and frankly I dont want to, I like my 944 the way it is!

Sorry for delayed response, been busy!

Jason

Don't worry Jason,

I don't thing Tim or Steve have any plans to make and real changes to the rules. They may attempt to close any loopholes that really should have been fixed from the start. However any time the closing of a loop hole may impact current cars this needs to be taken into account. Tighten a spec only to force 90% of the cars in class to spend money or time to check, validate or modify a part(s) of their cars (not safety related) is not a smart idea. Now clamping down 1 or 2 cars that were taking advantage of poorly written rule to the detrement of the entire class? Well those things need to be nipped in the bud before they get out of hand and ruin it for all of us.

The basic structure of the rules is sound and solid and should stay thay way. However be forwarned that anyone attempting to "game" the rules and pick apart a weakness... you may have your little edge for few races, but we will find out and don't come crying to mama when Tim and Steve say NO and fix the rules.

Also, as per the NASA CCR's (please read them once!) ...........

if you have a seat homologated and mounted in accordance with FIA ruling # 8855-1999, you don't need a seat back brace because the seat is deemed strong enough as it is. The newer seats with the "elephant ears" make it much more difficult to get out of the car if you can't slide the seat back, which is not possible with a fixed seat back brace.