Welcome, and thanks!

Adam Ginsberg

First off, I'd like to thank the moderators of this site for providing the Texas/Southwest guys our own webspace for CMC/AI/AIX discussions.

Secondly, if any folks have questions about a schedule, rules, etc, please feel free to contact me, or Todd Covini.

Looking forward to more racers joining us!

Adam,

First off, I second your thanks to this board for giving us a space for discussions. Secondly, a big thanks to you and Todd for taking the reins and getting this going. Enjoyed meeting you last weekend.

I've been asked three times now and I can't answer the question. Does anyone know the basic differences between AI and CMC? I feel pretty moronic telling people about these series and when they ask me "what do I need to do to get my car in CMC?" I can't answer, I can only point them to the rules on the NASA site. If someone has a basic rundown of the requirements that is brief, pass it along and I'll use that to get these people started.

One of the things that used to drive me nuts about SCCA was the overwhelming rules - very intimidating to us newbies. Not that I wouldn't read all the rules eventually, but when considering classes it would have been VERY helpful to have some sort of brief rundown on the differing class rules and requirements (especially safety equipment). I'm sure the CMC faithful on this board have run into the same issue in the past, maybe one of the mods could point us to the right place or you and Todd could come up with something (it could always contain the disclaimer that the official rules must be adhered to) so that it's brevity wouldn't get someone upset if they missed a small item like the fire extinguisher sticker (example only).

Hey Mike,

It was great to meet you, Todd, and Lewis this weekend. We will do our best to make the races as fun for everyone as possbile.

A brief way to explain CMC vs. AI -

CMC: Basically stock ( no major suspension mods, no major engine mods ) with A Sedan brakes ( 12" rotors, 2-piston calipers ). You can change struts/shocks, A-arms ( as long as they are a direct replacement for factory pieces, but upgraded ), but your not allowed to change pickup points, the K-member, etc. Minimum ride height is 4.5", measured at the lowest point of the rocker panel. Stock dash must be retained, but can be modified/gauges removed or added. Motor can be balanced, but not blueprinted, 230rwhp/300rwtq, OEM exhaust manifolds, no recurving of the distributor, etc. Rim size limited to 16x8, spec Toyo RA1 tire size of 255.50.16. The idea being to keep costs down for the racers.

AI: Take a CMC car, and go a bit more wild. Aftermarket K-members, rear suspensions, larger brakes that can fit into a 17x9.5" rim ( max rotor size 14" ), max weight to HP ratio of 9.5lbs to 1 HP. The rules want racers to obtain aftermarket parts to enhance the car.

WRT safety requirements, NASA CCR's contain instructions about what is, and isn't allowed. There are specific roll-bar requirements based on the weight of the vehicle

Certainly, this is a very brief explanation of the differences. If you have anyone with questions, please feel free to have them contact either me, or Todd.

Adam,

This is great, thanks! Now, if I can get Varner to detune that beast of his and run CMC instead of AI, I'll feel better

I've sent him the link, hopefully he'll be in here shortly.

I'm here.

Thanks guys for the enthusiasm in getting this going and underway. I'm looking forward to running on the OT again. I thought about returning to drag racing, but have been convinced otherwise.

Some questions and concerns.

CMC pretty much rules out the stock non-supercharged Cobras. I have an '01 Cobra, but from the rules it does not qualify and doesn't fit in that catagory. I know some others will have the same concern about this. The 230rwhp, 12" rotor and 16" wheels will keep a lot of the new cars out of this class. The next step would be AI.

AI uses which tire? The Toyo RA1? What is maximum tire size allowed (width).

I'm looking forward to getting back out to the track and trying to keep up with you guys. I'm light years behind you all and have a lot of catching up to do. I've been beating the bushes and trying to get the word out that there are some exciting programs happening in the area. W2W racing has to be a rush. Admiral and I have done this, but not the two of us (and some spectators) knew it.

I can't wait to get out with 10-15 other cars on the track with a common goal... to stay out of my way.

Looking forward to participating and if you need any help, please let me know.

[Admiral]

Uh...not a chance but I will have to delete the blower and go the N/A route at some point in time. I want to be right there with ya in AI...and no LHOS.

Hey Eric,

CMC was started back in ~95, so the newer Cobra's weren't out yet. Even a 94+ Cobra would require some changes to fit CMC ( most noteably, changing the front rotors to 12" ).

I haven't thought about the later cars being in CMC, but I will certainly discuss it with Todd. Obviously, I can't promise anything, but it will get some airtime.

CMC/AI require the use of Toyo RA1 tires.

CMC: Max tire size 255.50.16 on max rim size of 16x8.

AI: Max 275x17" tire on a 17x9.5 max rim size.

AIX: Any DOT certified tire, max diameter 18", max width 13".

Feel free to concentrate on AI.

2003 CMC rules located here in Word format, and here in HTML format. Rick click, save as.

2003 AI/AIX rules located here. Rick click, save as.

[Adam]

Thanks for the quick response and the "rules". Looks like I have some work to do on the 88GT. I think I will leave the Cobra alone for now.

How long to the Toyo RA's last in general. A race weekend? Or, can you manage several races out of them? Just thinking how often I need to grovel to my better half for more tire funds.

I had no idea that the CMC started way back then. No wonder. I wasn't even thinking about turning the wheel back then..less of course to keep it off the gaurd rail going down the 1/4 mile.

j/k

Eric,

I was told that several AI guys get an entire season out of the RA1's, I'm hoping that is true as they cost me about $800 new. With the limited schedule this year, I'm hoping they will last all year and partly into next year.

I'm throwing down on some Longacre Scales I found on sale, you and I need to get our cars on a diet, bigtime. You need to lose some HP while you are at it

Adam,

I have a question about how NASA weighs the cars, is this a dry weight minus driver? Let me know, I'm trying to get down to the 2800lb minimum for AI, hope that is without driver or my car may look like rolling swiss cheese if I got to get down to 2620lbs to make room for a 180lb driver!

As Mike mentioned, the Toyos seem to be a long lasting tire. I got the same answers from the CA guys.

I had no idea that the CMC started way back then. No wonder. I wasn't even thinking about turning the wheel back then..less of course to keep it off the gaurd rail going down the 1/4 mile.

From what I recall, you weren't too successful one time.....

As Mike mentioned, the Toyos seem to be a long lasting tire. I got the same answers from the CA guys.

From what I recall, you weren't too successful one time.....

[Mike] [Adam]

Thanks for the tire information. That would be awesome of they lasted a race season or a little longer.

[Mike]

Scales! Cool! Time to start the 88GT on a diet...AC...heater...back seat...blower...er ok, not the blower yet

[Adam]

Good memory.

ohmy.jpg

Posted by Admiral

I have a question about how NASA weighs the cars, is this a dry weight minus driver? Let me know, I'm trying to get down to the 2800lb minimum for AI, hope that is without driver or my car may look like rolling swiss cheese if I got to get down to 2620lbs to make room for a 180lb driver!

NASA 2003 AI/AIX rules, Section 6: Car Classifications

In order to maintain a fair and competitive racing field, all cars must conform to specific power to weight ratios. As such, there will be two classes in the American Iron Series. Vehicle weight measurements will be taken post-race with driver.

NASA 2003 AI/AIX rules, Section 6.1: American Iron

The lower division class will be called “American Iron†[AI] and will have a strict 9.5:1 (9.5 pounds of vehicle weight per each horsepower) power to weight ratio maximum as measured at the rear wheels. All vehicles that compete in this class may have less than the specified amount but may not exceed the 9.5:1 ratio. Vehicles that exceed this ratio must race in the American Iron Extreme class. The minimum weight for an AI car is 2800 pounds with driver in full race dress.

NASA 2003 AI/AIX rules, Section 6.2: American Iron Extreme

The upper division class will be called “American Iron Extreme†[AIX] and will include all cars that have a power to weight ratio (measured at rear wheels) greater than 9.5:1 (9.5 pounds of vehicle weight per each horsepower). The minimum weight for an AIX car is 2500 pounds with driver in full race dress. AIX cars will have a maximum allowable wheel width of 75 inches (measured at the outside edge of the tires). The vehicle must be able to drive through a space measuring 75 inches. Any car not able drive through this dimension will be disqualified.

OMG, 2800lbs with driver in full dress, that's quite alot of weight reduction. Guess it's time to REALLY dump the non-essentials and get that Lexan install lesson I've been putting off!

Thanks for the info, don't know how I missed that when it was clearly written in the rules.

So where do y'all race in Texas and where does a lady hook up with a tall, dark, handsome, literate and moderately charming race car driver?

Hello Sladky,

The next NASA event will be August 2-3, held at Motorsport Ranch ( outside of Fort Worth ). There are Open Track/HPDE's held at Texas Worldspeedway ( next to College Station ), too.

Be sure to come out and meet the folks! As for meeting a tall, dark, handsome, literate, and charming race car driver?? Hell, we all are.

Hey guys -

Just thought I'd pop in and comment on the tire life..

In the 2002 season, I ran all 9 CMC race weekends where we ran 3 races per weekend and had 2 warm up and 2 qualifying sessions. I also ran 6 full test days and an SCCA double regional at Sears Point. I went through 2 1/2 sets of tires. The "1/2" set have been run 2 weekends so far.

- Nick

CMC #45 - Camaro

Nick,

Thanks for dropping in here and lending us the benefit of your experience. I'm relieved to hear that the tires do pretty well, I paid $800 for a set from Vilven and I wouldn't want to do that 3 times a season.

Nick,

Thanks for dropping in here and lending us the benefit of your experience. I'm relieved to hear that the tires do pretty well, I paid $800 for a set from Vilven and I wouldn't want to do that 3 times a season.

Who is this masked man posting in here? Guest? I believe I know him.

Yes, thanks Nick for the information. Saving my loose change now for a set of tires.