APPERANCE MONEY!

ToTheLimit

Well, NASA is offering $250 cash for Spec Miata Drivers to show up at Infineon/Sears on June 28/29. Not that I want to stir up any problems with NASA but I think that as the combined CMC/AI group we should be entitled to some kind of compensation as we are usually the feature race and put on a great show. After all NASA wants this to be PRO racing and a team who spends a lot of money going to all the races should be able to be paid to make the show. Just my opinion..Spec Miata is great..dont get me wrong, may drive one next year too..But we deserve some compensation for all this, we are helping NASA grow..Would appreciate any input here on the board or on my E-mail

Per Helldin

Team ESSE' #81

Now Per, As you know I went home sick last race at WSIR. I requested NASA credit me for the Sunday race where I never put my race car on the track. Well, NASA figures that they will only credit you if you registered for the weekend as individual days (Big cost saving there). With all this looking out for the welfare of the folks who try to make every race I'm sure these fine administrators are going to jump up to the plate and offer you Attendance money. Make you a deal. You get NASA to give you 50 bucks of my Sunday (From WSIR) entry fee and give me the rest, and Greg, you and I can spend it on blender mix at sears point.

Dave

Thanks Dave..You drove a long way and paid for very much without racing a lot at WSIR..this is the kind of input I was looking for..Anyone else got an opinion?

There is an SCCA Regional event at Laguna Seca that same weekend. NASA is obviously trying to court those racers. CMC already has large turnouts, and most of you guys don't run both clubs, therefore it isn't necessary to pay. Would you pay somebody to show up when they are already paying you?

Is that $250 per car NASA is offering? or essentially free race entry? If NASA would offer that to CMC we'd bring 4 more Camaros to Sears that weekend. Right now JR Luster, Al Mohr and Ken Gronberg and myself are running our CMC prepped cars at Laguna in the SCCA double regional. Except for Ken it's within a 15 minute drive for us but cheap guys that we are, iif instead of paying $485 to SCCA for a double regional a free NASA weekend would be much preferable. I know it's too late for this year but I'm sure Tony Guaglione is on the phone even as you read this to get a CMC featured "free" weekend for next year. Oh, and if anyone needs a new CMC racer, our 1993 is just finished (and will be run by Al Mohr at Laguna) and is painted a gorgeous metalic silver black and has all the right stuff to make it a potential (depends on your driving talent) winner. See all the details in the "for sale" section of the bulletin board.

OK, here's the scoop.

NASA is not giving away $250 per car...but Mazda is.

So now we need to call Ford and Chevy to pitch in...Good luck!

I'm working on a CMC program, so give me a little time.

I will however buy everyone lunch ...if you come in ahead of me!

Tony

Thanks Tony for getting that cleared up. Mazda sure is spending some money on the SpecMiata cars. Wish we would get the same support from GM or Ford! One more thought...SpecMiata is a support race for CART this weekend at Laguna Seca...How about if we try to put a 30+ car CMC race as support race for NASCAR at InfineonSearsPoint in 2004. I think NASCAR fans would love it and we would get us lots of exposure..Maybe even invite a Winston Cup regular to race one of our cars....What do you guys think?

That is a great Idea,lets work on it as a group.

I think it would be hard to get in,but if we start trying now it may be possible.

It would be the ultimate exposure.

Tony

Yes, it would be nice to have the NASCAR boys as a support race for a CMC weekend, but, if I'm not mistaken, one of the perks that SCCA has for supplying the worker base is that the support race is an SCCA group...and they always highlight a group that brings $$$ to the table...in the past they've run Pro Spec Racer, GTA, etc...SCCA also has a rebate program for entry fees..I only ran two SCCA races at Laguna last year but got over $150 in entry fee rebates....I think a program by NASA that rewards frequent participation with rebates keyed to running a percentage of the races, say 60% minimum, with a 20% rebate of entry fees (as credit toward next years entry fees, not cash), might encourage borderline entries to run more often....if you'd run five of ten race weekends wouldn't you think about running two more if you received a 20% rebate...which essentially would make your two extra weekends almost free?...I believe the bottom line with CMC and money is...bring your own $$$ and have fun...if you can get the local GM/Ford dealer to give you a parts discount (especially Fords which need so much maintenance), and the local tire store to do your alignment and tires, you're ahead of the game...and if you have a business, heck, the IRS never checks out advertising write-offs, do they?...you can't get much cheaper than CMC and definitely can't have more fun (in racing). See you all at Sears Point in the Fall.

Richard..you bring out some good points...but how long has it been since you raced in CMC...You got cars and sold cars(350) to CMC racers..I got a long time of history of SCCA and IMSA racing history as well..

Richard..just wanted to let you know that we WILL have CMC as support race for NASCAR next year..and I think Ken Schrader will run with us..(he will run anything)

your comments made me even more commited of making it happen

Per, doesn't an annual tech mean you can only run one race a year? I seem to only be able to make the CMC season closer at Sears Point...and will do so again this year....I only run 4 races a year and with SCCA running three weekends at Laguna, which is only 15 minutes tow from home in Carmel, it's no contest. Yes, I do continue to help CMC grow with building and selling new cars and in promoting it to anyone interested in racing as the most fun and bang for the buck you can find. Just ran into an old friend who bought a Can Am Lola 222 to race in vintage but wants to get up to speed first...Brad, looks like you might have your car sold! And, Per, if you get the CMC at NASCAR next year, the margaritas are on me! For the whole season!

Richard, I wish you would do more races with us, however with a track like Laguna 15 minutes away...I dont blame you a bit..But some of our newbies should get a chance to meet you more than once a year!

I will race there with POC later this year just to get my annual Laguna Seca fix...Wish we ran CMC there like we used to...

And as for CMC with NASCAR...If the directors want me to push for it...I will be happy to be the liason with the track to make it happen...

Per, Little did I know that while trying to give NASA directors a little Shit (not refering to my weekend at WSIR) this email of yours took on its own life form. (So more opinion) Everybody in CMC should email their local FORD and cheby dealer and ask for more support for the series. All they can say is no. My guess is that "NO" is heard more from the cheby guys because parts wearout so much quicker thus replacement cost are higher.

Dave

Per,

Do you till have the name/phoe number of the Chevy Motorsports guy I gave you a while back? I bet if you called him and used your Swedish-accent race car driver charm he'd cave and sent you a big check. Just pick up the phone, darling.

All kidding side, has ayone done a proposal to the Motorsports Department Heads at Chevy and Ford to get some exposure and funding for CMC? Sort of like... if you build it they will come? I'm happy to help...

Got stats???

deb

I am currently backed by Ford Motorsports,with all parts at cost plus no shipping,(plus I get some stuff free).

They are talking to their attorneys about what I can run on the side of my car,due to liability concerns.

Since CMC has grown so much, their have been several people contacting me to do some stuff for all of us next year,and maybe by this years end.

I'm working on it, but if anyone wants some sponsorship you will need to get a portfolio together with lots of pictures/schedule/etc, and make it look good.

The better it is,the more you will get.

Tony

I have a contact at Chevrolet that has 30+ years with the Corvette racing group. I can see if she can get us something or point us in a good direction. Tony, I can keep you posted, or bring you in if you like.

I also can get with Robbie Loomis (of NASCAR fame) regarding supporting their Sears race too if that would be of help. I guess I could let one of the Hendrick guys in my car if I can have one of their motors.

Great thread fellas (and girls)...

Running a support race is a great idea. I have talked about it with some folks last year and all agree it would be a great way to help out the series(I run in AI, but as a group I think we all can gather enough cars to put on a great show.) Making it happen though is gonna be extremely difficult. If someone thinks they can then go for it and hopefully we can all do our part to help out.

As far as getting factory support in our amatuer racing, again it is damn near impossible. I get help from serramonte ford paying near wholesale and usually tax free for parts, but I have asked about getting Ford racing involved and from what I understand unless are there spectators in the six figure range it doesn't benefit them. They have way more exposure from NASCAR, and all the big drag racing stuff they support than NASA currently has to offer. I personally think we all put on an awesome show, but its the bottom line that matters and at this point we are just not up to thier level. Its too bad because those who have not seen CMC or AI have no idea. I have yet to bring a new person to one of our races that didn't love it and wanted to come back for more. Exposure first, then the big sponsors.