Huge American Iron News

pederb1548534705

Hi Folks,

This news is official and for dissemination to anyone that will listen.

First the bad news--the American Iron series event Oct. 4th and 5th at Watkins Glen has been canceled. The good news is that we will be running the FULL course at VIR with the Grand Am series the same weekend.

Needless to say this is a tremendous opportunity for the racers and for the series in general. We have a potential deal in the works to televise our race though many issues need to be resolved (read money). This is of course a spectator event and we will be in the company of full time racers running in a national pro series.

I will provide some details here and more in the future. This was just dropped in my lap 48 hours ago and there is much work to be done. This will actually be a 3 day weekend. We will have two 30 minute practice sessions on Friday, one 50 minute practice/qualifying session on Saturday and a one hour, 15 minute "race block" on Sunday. I am planning on running two 25-30 minute races punctuated by a 15 minute "intermission" (similar to the Australian Touring car series format). This intermission will allow the cars to enter the pits to refuel and fix BROKEN parts (no tires except those damaged due to material failure or contact). Cars will be restricted to the hot pits and no one will be allowed in the paddock area. This is the current plan. I still need to get the track to O.K. it but preliminary discussions look promising.

By now I am sure that you are wondering about cost. Let me preface that answer with a few facts. The Glen was going to cost roughly $370.00 for Saturday and Sunday with Friday being optional for additional $150.00 for a total 3 day package costing $520.00. VIR-- If we draw 35 cars the cost will be $550.00 if we get 45+ cars, it will be $500.00. I am confident of the latter number. The Virginia region alone will provide 25 cars, Ohio/Indiana 15 cars and I have a preliminary commitment from the West coast for 7 cars. This does not include the new Texas AI region, HSR guys from Atlanta that were to run The Glen with us nor any guest players that will surely come out and play for an event of this magnitude.

Gentleman, $500.00 is certainly a significant sum but the return could be enormous. Obviously there is a tremendous amount of track time available coupled with great exposure and the obvious benefit of being able to run the full course at VIR.

For the American Iron series this could be the break we have been waiting for. I am currently searching for a sponsor to absorb production cost for filming. The TV crews will be there anyway filming the Grand Am race. I am also searching for a title race sponsor to provide a race purse.

The bottom line is that our series could benefit from your participation in this event. It will be a great weekend. We will have a cookout and promote a family atmosphere. You want your wife, children and significant others there anyway as a pit crew!!!!

The only catch is that I must have your answer in 2 weeks. You need to register on the NASA VA website (www.nasaracing.net) by midnight August 29th. I need this to lock in the price and to give VIR a formal car count. I know this is tight but the race is a mere 7 weeks away.

While I realize this may prompt more questions then it answers, I would prefer to answer those questions on a case by case basis. Feel free to drop me a line at this e-mail or [email protected]. Call me at 757-561-1110 (cell) or 757-220-0410 (home).

Finally, much thanks to Chris Cobetto and his NASA Va. gang. They are working hard to make this event all it can be.

Dust those cars off and break open the piggy banks. This is going to be awesome!!

Best Regards,

Dan Schlickenmeyer

Director, AI East