Thoughts for 2004

z28racergirl1548534711

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a fun New Year's Eve celebration.

I've recently been named the Group Leader for AI West. Some of my duties will be keeping our drivers informed, grouping us together in the paddock, and being the liason between the higer-ups and the individual drivers.

My main goal is to achieve a similar feeling of group cohesion that you CMCers have. Also, we're "all one big happy family" now, and I'd like to work right with you guys to get our two groups together.

I'd like to know what you folks think about a few things:

* Dinners together on Sat night at some local restaurant during race weekends.

* Pit/paddock areas together.

* Lunch together at the track, pot luck style.

* Coffee, donuts, bagels available in the mornings. (again, pot luck style.)

With such a huge group (too cool!) we have a lot of resources. The dinner and pitting together should be easy with a little bit of planning. I'm wondering if people would be interested in signing up in a rotation to do the pot luck stuff. None of it has to be fancy, and with a rotation it *should* be do-able. (Do you think you can bring 3 dozen bagels with you to Cal Speedway in March?)

If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Also, please encourage other drivers to sign up on these message boards so we can stay connected.

Thanks everyone! Happy 2004!

Christine Knight

• Members

Christine

Those are all good ideas, and I'll be glad to help out in whichever you need me. Regarding paddock space, this has to be discussed with Nasa and the tracks. I've been there on cheating bastard friday several times where we tried to rope off a large space only to be told we can't do that because its first come, first served. I have a couple of things to add... (of course )

We, the new nationwide AI, need to change our online appearance. Right now, there are a bunch of different web sites (east, west, AI, CMC, etc), a bunch of Yahoo groups, AND a bunch of different email lists. That's nuts! We should have one national, all inclusive web site, with different forums for the regions, tech sections, etc. This would accomplish several things:

1. Present a larger, cohesive group to potential sponsors and newcomers.

2. Provide a place where knowledge is maintained for later searches (tech questions answered in emails are lost unless everyone has a bitchin archive/search system, and lets face it, all of the regions will have the same tech problems, they're the same cars! Plus, wouldn't it be nice to have the input of the big guns from AIX to my insignificant CMC problems? hehe)

3. Help everyone feel that they truly are part of a bigger AI racing community. Right now I know one or two people outside of the West region, and none in AI outside of the West...because they all use different ways of communicating.

I mean...wouldnt it be great to have one place to go where you can see everything AI/CMC related? I'll even volunteer to take this on.

And speaking of which, I've mentioned this before and I'm sure its being discussed...but we should really change the names around a little. AI/AIX/CMC just doesn't roll off the tongue. Besides, here's proof: Christine, are you group leader for AI-West the class (AI only) or the series (AIX,AI, and CMC)?? Its kinda hard to tell huh?

Al,

Excellent thoughts! Thanks! I like your ideas and it would be awesome if we can implement that "one big message board" for everyone idea. I think we need to talk to Ryan and JWL at least about that. I can forward your idea on that to them, and thanks for volunteering to get that off the ground.

I've always wondered about "CMC" not addressing your Pontiac brethren. What ideas do folks have about the new name for our group?

I'm group leader for AI/X West, since I think you guys have your own CMC leaders since you've been around longer. I only wanted to address our lack of Ryan (Honduh driver) and JWL (SE-R defector) as active drivers and offered to help out.

Thanks again! Keep it coming!

Christine

First and foremost, spouses should be FORBIDDEN from working on cars at events. And, they should be discouraged from working on them between events. Further, in order to create a less productive and more jovial atmosphere, spouses should be encouraged to start drinking around noon or 1 PM.

But in all seriousness, I think that Al touched on a subject that I believe needs to be addressed, namely that of communication. Personally, I like the feel of this website. But I think that all the communication should take place at www.nasaforums.com, as NASA is the sanctioning body and people would think to look there first. Having two boards for the same purpose is not ideal, in my opinion.

It is my hope that Chris can mold the behind the scenes of AI to make it as cohesive a group as CMC.

Jason

Unfortunately, I'd like to add a dissenting note to a few of the suggestions (and no, it's not because I think the Great Gopher Hunter is wrong in any way).

This CMC group is by far the most cohesive and best racing group that I've had the privelige to be involved with. I'm scared to endorse anything that might change or water-down what our group has become. Thanks to the work of Tony, Nick, Jeff, and everyone else that has come before me, there's a nice tight feel to CMC.

I notice Christine's note is the same one she posted in the AI forum at NASA forums. I'm tending to think that the coments and suggestions were aimed at the AI/X group, as we already pit together, eat together, etc...

Personally, I'd like to see AI/X come together as a group, as CMC has, THEN merge the AI-CMC pits, THEN pull us together.

Again, I'm afraid of having the tight CMC group lost to the big world of AI/X, rahter than being able to pull AI/X together into a group like ours (even though that's the ideal).

My $0.02...

Unfortunately, I'd like to add a dissenting note to a few of the suggestions (and no, it's not because I think the Great Gopher Hunter is wrong in any way).

This CMC group is by far the most cohesive and best racing group that I've had the privelige to be involved with. I'm scared to endorse anything that might change or water-down what our group has become. Thanks to the work of Tony, Nick, Jeff, and everyone else that has come before me, there's a nice tight feel to CMC.

I notice Christine's note is the same one she posted in the AI forum at NASA forums. I'm tending to think that the coments and suggestions were aimed at the AI/X group, as we already pit together, eat together, etc...

Personally, I'd like to see AI/X come together as a group, as CMC has, THEN merge the AI-CMC pits, THEN pull us together.

Again, I'm afraid of having the tight CMC group lost to the big world of AI/X, rahter than being able to pull AI/X together into a group like ours (even though that's the ideal).

My $0.02...

OK, hang on a second. I posted that here first, then copied it to the AI forum on NASAforums to keep the AI folks in the loop. Someone other than myself grouped us all together, the CMC plus AI/X. I had nothing to do with that and was very surprised to see it happen. We already run together, right? But, some folks made that choice in our organization and I have to trust with that decision, and go with it.

For the past two years I've been basically pitting with CMC, and even last year I jokingly asked to be the CMC "mascot" since I feel included with the CMC people. Ryan raced with Hondas last year, and JWL is going to race with SE-R cup next year and since that leaves no one in AI in a leadership position (as we had in '02 and '03) I asked to help coordinate.

I have been totally and completely jealous of the comeraderie of the CMC people, and frankly, a bit disgusted that it hasn't existed with AI. We've had some smaller groups form as friendships but our group has been "every man for himself" and I was tired of it.

I'm only trying to be a leader for AI in the sense of bringing the CMC spirit over to our loners. We have no choice in being grouped together--that's been done by the big-wigs in NASA. I was only thinking that we all might make one big happy family out of the situation.

Listen, Griggs is out for 2004. Many of the other AI drivers feel as though part of our "friendliness" problem may have been due to them. Give the rest of us a chance. But that's why I wanted to discuss this in an open forum, to hear what everyone had to say. So far I hear one yay and one nay.

Thanks for listening, but if you guys don't want me in your business or on your forum, just please let me know and I'll butt out. No hard feelings. Just looking for information.

Christine

• Members

The Great Gopher Hunter??

I can understand your point Brad. Frankly, I'm not too worried about the CMC...spirit, or whatever you can call it, go away. I think AI/AIX is by nature more individual since they have the flexibility in their rules to do things that really make one car more competitive than another. We dont (really), so its easier to all hang out together and help each other out. That said, I also don't see why we cant bring that kind of paddock commeraderie to the other classes. Baby steps. Christine is going in the right direction.

No no Christine - I'm not bashing the idea at all - I welcome getting AI/X together like we are. Like I said, I'm worried about losing what we have. I'm not worried about others wanting to be like us! Heck, you can be our mascot anyday - you're great both on and off the track.

Sure, we (CMC) are now 'part of' AI/X. Changes for us? I don't see any, really. We already run together on-track, and when we go to places like California Speedway, they assign pit areas, which put us together. I like it!

I have been totally and completely jealous of the comeraderie of the CMC people, and frankly, a bit disgusted that it hasn't existed with AI. We've had some smaller groups form as friendships but our group has been "every man for himself" and I was tired of it.

I'm only trying to be a leader for AI in the sense of bringing the CMC spirit over to our loners. We have no choice in being grouped together--that's been done by the big-wigs in NASA. I was only thinking that we all might make one big happy family out of the situation.

Frankly, I'm glad that AI (west) is getting some friendly leadership, and I'm sure you'll do a great job. My point is exactly what you describe above though, talking about CMC 'comeraderie', and AI 'loners'. I just want to make sure that it's AI that becomes more CMC like, not the other way around.

Speaking for myself - I DO want you (and Jason, and any other AI person) here. I don't mind sharing at all, or helping any way I can.

I just want to make sure that what we have here is protected, it's very special.

Brad is absolutely correct here.

Christine, remember I tried to do what your going to doing with A/I, and with the heated competition the A/I guys were covering up what they had so no one else would see what they were doing..all while the CMC guys were exchanging parts on each others cars to make sure everyone got out on the trackl

I would love to see A/I join in on the fun, but your job is to get them to see the light beyond their front fenders.

Some do and some don't.

I am NOT bashing A/I and understand some of the above reasons due to the high cost of compeition.

I love the A/I AIX group and love running with them, but its your turn to change the atmosphere, which I truly hope happens for everyone.

Get your group together first, prove you can have the comaraderie, then lets all get together.

Call me anytime to set something up before any race weekend.

Thanks,

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Chief Director

OK guys, thanks for those kind personal words.

My first priority is AI, so I'll work on these loners and then maybe our two groups will naturally gravitate together a bit more.

Thanks!

Christine

Hey, guys, can I run my 2002 Z28 SS? Do I have to put a roll bar in it if I promise not to beat everyone and am careful? Does anyone use the #55 as that's my lucky number. Is nitrous allowed? What does AI stand for? "Aged Invalid"? How much money do I get for winning? Will I get thrown out if I win all the races or should I fake it and let a Mustang win once in a while? Sounds like a fun group. See you at the Sears Point licensing session (unless my AARP card is OK as a comp license.).....CMC200

I have to admit, I'm alot more For the idea now that I know Christine is taking the lead on the AI/X end. Good onya Christine! If this has been pre-ordained by NASA on the national level, then it's up to all of us to Make it Work. And Fun. I agree on some kind of internet site that we can All go to, although I'm not sure it should be directly on NASA's site (maybe just a link). I believe whoever set up the CMC site (Nick!) should definately have a Major say in which direction this should take. Mostly because the CMC site is So user friendly, and I've had a rough time even accessing the AI/X site. So the question's remain as to Our Collective Name, and what we can do to make the transition smooth. 2 things. 1) We definately have to be able to have continuous paddock space reservable from Fridays on. And 2), we need to proceed with the "All for one, and one for all" concept that CMC has progressed to. I'm sure, that between Tony and Christine, and every last one of the rest of us, this Can Happen. So, if we're going to do it, let's do it right. And not neccessarily rush into anything we're not confident of. See Ya, Esse" #81...