Royal Purple...

Steve Graves1548534707

Anyone out there running "Royal Purple" lubricants? I've talked to a few people, and I hear nothing but good things about their line of products. Example #1: My brother John works for Exxon down in the Santa Barbara area as an engineer/ mechanic dude and told me that Royal Purple sent out a tech about a year ago. They put a heavy duty bearing running with Redline under 20,000 psi and within a few minutes the bearing started smoking like crazy. Then they put another bearing running with 5w30 Royal Purple through the paces. Started at 20,000 psi, and went up to 40,000 psi, Then let the bearing run DRY for about 10-15 minutes till they all got bored and turned the machine off. My brother didn't really trust the guy to start off with (thinking the Redline or the Purple, or the Bearings might be doctored), so he grabbed all 3 from their own stock before the testing took place. Example #2: Word is that even John Force (Castrol sponsored) and crew take their quarts of Castrol, empty them out in the privacy of their trailer, and fill them with Royal Purple. I'm not sure if any or all of this information is absolutely correct, but I do know that most of the NASCAR teams are running the Racing 21 in their engines. It's 5w30! Damn. Not cheap, at $12 a quart, but I'm gonna do some testing at Cal Speedway (and maybe Sears before then). I'm also running their fluids in my tranny, my diff, and my power steering. I still haven't installed my Accusump yet, and I don't have a Canton pan. With all the problems that so many cars had last year at Cal blowing engines, I figure it may be a worthwhile experiment. Please post any informationyou may have on this subject. Thanx, Esse' #81...

• Members

Canton pan AND an accumulator??

Man, asking which lubricating oil is better is like asking which bottled water tastes better. There are lots of good oils, and some hoopla. Stick with a high quality synthetic (IMHO) since we're capable of running oil temps that most regular oils will fail at. But wether you should use Amsoil, or Redline or Mobil1, or Royal Purple, or etc. etc etc? If there were one that was significantly better, I think it wouldn't be a secret. Also keep in mind that all oiling applications are not created equal. Just because something is the ticket for supercharged nitro burning monsters, it doesn't mean it'll work in our cars.

I've run Castrol Syntec, Mobil 1, Quaker State synthetic and Valvoline synthetic in my Circle track cars for 6 years. We only lost one motor, which was the original 350 in my 74 Chevelle, that I cooked several times after throwing belts. The circle track magazines note that the Winston Cup folks use synthetics for qualifying and mineral for races as the mineral, and couldn't come up with a clearly superior brand for the synthetic oils. My feeling is running the right weight synthetic oil, and keeping the revs in a safe range will keep a motor together. We had to run a strictly stock oil pan, too.

We run the cheapest K-Mart branded oil we can find....around 1.99 per 5 quart jug...and never a problem...forget the $5-$10 a quart sythetics and stick to dinosaur goo....we've never lost an engine with the cheap junk, of course, we keep it nice and fresh by changing it once every 20 races...using expensive oil is like using 110 octane gas in your CMC car; it looks pretty, costs a bunch, doesn't work any better but you can feel like a real racer....for the real scoop on oils and competition use check out the report issued by SEMA on their website...rp