Need a source for rear springs for 4th Gen Camaro?

David Borden1548534711

Anyone in the sactamento area sell replacement lowering springs in different rates for the 4th Gen? Looking for rates between 175 and 225 that will lower the car approx an inch from stock.. (unless there is a better ride height to shoot for)

If not local, who has good product and prices mail order or web?

Thanks!

David

Out cutting the springs and installing new shocks... the first coil on top of the spring is flat, do you just cut it? It doesnt seem that it would do much in rate change since it is already compressed/bent flat.

Is this all I cut, or do I go say 1.5 coils to compensate for the flat part?

David

Tony, thanks for the response!

I will try that, but am probably going to have to buy springs.. I tested the rate of the spring with 1 coil cut, and it came out at 125 lbs per inch. cutting another .5 coils probably wont raise my rate 75 lbs.

Soooo... back to the question... Any local placel to buy 225 lb springs that will lower the car 1 inch??

David

Try it first.

The 175 range worked better for me than the 225 did anyway.

Otherwise contact TC Race cars at 800-296-3760, and here is the good part.. cost is $39 each spring (all my secrets are being let out here) ask for the SSS spring in pig tail.

Tony

• Members

The top (and sometimes bottom) coils are often bent in towards the center of the spring and ground flat in order to provide a good bearing surface. This doesn't matter because the last coil is "dead", or "inactive", so the fact that this last coil has different geometry than the rest is irrelevant. A coil is one full revolution, or 360 degrees around the wire. You start counting where the spring stops making contact with anything while under static load.

So, the theory goes something like...

Take the number of active coils, multiply by the spring rate, then divide by the desired spring rate. This should approximate the number of active coils you'd need.

Lets say you had 10 active coils, and a 125# rate, but wanted 175#. By the math above you'd need to cut your spring to have 7.14 active coils.

...in theory.

I've been planning to replace my rear springs with a stiffer set than the 225# ones in it. If I cut the coils according to your calculations I can get 300# springs if there are 1.5 coils cut? Will a hacksaw work on the springs? Should I still use the rubber doughnuts and should they go on the top or bottom or should I use one on both ends? Boy, these Camaros sure don't handle very good. Maybe I should try a Mustang. Are there going to be any for sale at Infineon next weekend? I'm also having trouble hooking up my MSD 6BS. The car still won't rev over 6500 rpm with the new box even though I'm using the MSD billet distributor too and roller rockers. What's the problem? Thanks.