Dyno stories

Al F.

• Members

So, since we're all doing this in the next few weeks (or have just recently done it) I figured it'd be fun to share...I mean, we're all right around the same power so what's the harm?

Apparently my car has decided to imitate Don Trask's car and make MORE horsepower than at the begining of last year. I have no clue why this would happen, other than maybe bearing and ring clearances opening up resulting in less friction...right before they go away. In any case, I had to drop to a 33mm restrictor plate to come in at 232hp/298tq average. Last year I ran a 37mm plate, and dynoed at 234hp average. Same dyno shop by the way.

Tim Bullock didn't have quite as much fun. He's running way too rich, and only pulled about 202. Good thing I convinced him to go early

I too am rich - in fuel that is. I'm wonking down to under 10:1 as soon as the operator went WOT for the runs. Didn't come back up until 4600 to 5100, but only came up to 11:1 max. I wish I knew what to do!

Buuuuuuuuuut, I figure it's better to run rich than lean, especially at motor eater Ca Speedway. And I still walked with a 220/286. So, as soon as somebody can fix my rich problem - I'm right there.

And by the way Al, IF you beat me, it's because you have a 6% power advantage - not because you're a better driver.

Al, you are a torque monster! Gotta love cubic inches...

We laid down 285hp and 500lbs of torque--whoops, that was the Powerstroke! Seriously, we have identical numbers from last year. We dynoed the #12 last weekend. In 2003: 226/277. This year: 226/282. Nothing like our first year when we had 185/262!

Remember, when it's all said and done, it's the driver who makes the difference in our great series.

I just realized that there are no gophers at CalSpeedway Al.....

Greg Robinson

I just realized that there are no gophers at CalSpeedway

Uhhhh, that's because he ran there LAST year.

I'm sure there aren't any gophers at Thunderhill anymore either!

So, since we're all doing this in the next few weeks (or have just recently done it) I figured it'd be fun to share...I mean, we're all right around the same power so what's the harm?

Apparently my car has decided to imitate Don Trask's car and make MORE horsepower than at the begining of last year. I have no clue why this would happen, other than maybe bearing and ring clearances opening up resulting in less friction...right before they go away. In any case, I had to drop to a 33mm restrictor plate to come in at 232hp/298tq average. Last year I ran a 37mm plate, and dynoed at 234hp average. Same dyno shop by the way.

You must have a "Pryor Special" the magic changing HP engine. Those Chevys just love to make power.

Hi ,All

I would like to get my car on a dyno, can any one give me any sugestions on where i can get it done. I am in the north bay by Sonoma so anything within an hour or so drive would be nice.

Thanks John B.

Al...darn you so make me want my car ready for Cali speedway..

Too much still to do..But now I see why you kept up with me driving the #4 Stowell car at infineon.. 4th gen F-bodys will rule from now on...

• Members

Brad...that was histerical. I almost fell out of my chair.

Hey Per...so this is why I was able to keep up with you and that 300hp "enduro CMC-eske" monster? I think the flames on the hood of that thing are actually heat blistered paint! Get something together for Fontana man, you wont regret it.

You know, I had completely forgotten that you rebuilt it Tony. So, maybe it did just loosen up some. I'll stop whining.

What has everyone else been getting at the dyno? And no Photoshopped dyno curves Nick.

Heh - so according to this post, 4 people have dyno'd, and according to the car count post 8 CMC cars will be at CA Speedway. Sure, like THAT's gonna happen. I'm thinking 20+ for us alone.

Tony, maybe we should get championships points for accessing this board! I'll take 100 please...

We laid down 285hp and 500lbs of torque--whoops, that was the Powerstroke!

Greg, did you really dyno the truck? I put my on the dyno and got gross HP figures but we didn't know where to connect the pick up for RPM's so no torque numbers were recorded....

I made 284 hp and really was more interested in the torque!

I don't want to talk about Dyno #'s for my new motor that barely makes it to 200rwhp!! GRRRR

-Ed

• Members

Damn Ed, you and Tim are in the same boat. Maybe you guys need to talk. Or maybe that thing just needs to get broken in like mine apparently needed!

Ed-I didn't put the truck on the dyno; I was just guesstimating the numbers! My '86 F250 diesel with the 6.9 and no turbo was only 185hp according to Ford but produced 375ft/lb of torque. The 7.3 has way more power so I just guessed what the numbers might be. I have heard of guys getting over 300hp and 700-800ft/lb of torque with exhaust work and computer reprogramming.

I agree with Al: that new motor will likely make more power as it gets broken in.

Greg Robinson

#12/55 Mustang

Team Hi Line Motorsports

310hp and 590ft-lbs torque! Yep, the lady CMCer has joined the Duramax Diesel club! Truck is a crew cab 4x4 with the new LLY engine. Born on date is Jan '04 in Flint, Michigan.

Thank you Greg! Just called Pat Stone to get my trailer brake - he gave me the CMC discount. Thank you Pat! Be sure to call Pat for all your trailer needs everyone! Also thanks to Nick Steel and Mike Plum for your feedback on your Duramax trucks. That was the difference-maker for me.

Picked up the car from Blaine Fabrication at Buttonwillow (nice to see a fabricator that delivers!).

Backed it off his trailer onto the dyno and hit 222, 227, 226 hp and high 270's in torque.

Loaded it back on my trailer and drove back to Vegas.

For those of you that are adventuresome, there will be a few of us running with AI at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in November. So for those that fall in love with California Speedway come on out later this year.

Perry

Great news Perry! It will be nice to see you at CalSpeedway. Let's all hope for some better luck this year. I don't want to see anymore of your "stunt driving."

Greg Robinson

#12/55 Mustang

Team Hi Line Motorsports