25 Hours of Thunderhill

Kevin Hall

After seeing the Corvettes whup the Red Blush of Shame, I mean Ferraris, at Lemans this past weekend, it got the juices flowing.

Can anyone point me towards where I can get more info about whether this is going to happen this year? We're thinking the ol' 82 needs to go play.

Does any one have any info on how much it normally costs to run this thing? How many tires we can expect to use, etc.? Big surprise, I've got more driver volunteers than we ever will need......

Another buddy was going to do it until he found out he really could not afford to bring his wrecked race car back to life. He had figured about $1k per driver for tires and whatnot.

I happen to be looking for a ride at the 25hrs!

Kevin

I drove it last year in Sam Stowells ZZ4 powered -95 CMC Camaro and had a blast. We finished 19th out of 73 cars. We did go through two sets of tires and surprsingly only one set of front brake pads. Rear pads lasted 23hrs. $1k to drive for someone is a bargain if its a competitive car that will finish the race. A Spec Miata ride goes for like $2k and up.

I will do it again this year, not sure yet what I will be driving

Per

Thanks everyone. I had guessed about a grand per driver but I also guessed I could build the car for 3-4k. My wife says that is pretty typical-I always figure about half to a third of the money and time a project will take.

I was thinking we'd need a couple sets of tires, we've got over 10 hours on the tires on the car right now and they're holding up pretty good.

We're mostly looking to finish, but plan on giving it our best shot. Heck the 'Vettes had to fix the 63 car twice, and still finished 2nd.

Chevrolet did a great job for sure, but if you divided their annual budget by the number of races and the number of cars, I would expect the number would be over a million $ per.

So $10,000 for 5 drivers for 24 hours is a pretty safe estimate for car and expenses. I simply would worry about being the 5th driver and having the car last less than 4 hours. But risk is part of this sport.

Perry

After seeing the Corvettes whup the Red Blush of Shame, ......
It was more like the Ferraris won the contest to see who could lose the race.

Al.

I have driven a lot of Endurance races in my life.

a well prepped 2K Miata will finish in top 10...in any long race..

Well worth 2k.

Nobody but Sam could have prepped the Camaro to do as good in the race..

And for 2004.. 25 hrs..

Working on factory Lotus Elise..We can do overall win.

(back to Volvo Lotus dealer as Service mgr)

Per

• Members

My point was that a SM shouldn't cost that much to run. Five drivers at 2k...you could BUILD a SM AND enter it into the 25hrs for that.

Al.

Good point..but to last 25hrs will still be a challenge..

A few very professional teams ran Miatas and did not finish in top 10...It takes lots of prep and planning...

My hero of race award...California Best and the good old first Gen RX7..More NASA enduros than anyone..Solid in top 10...

So we were doing the math, and just the spares and consumables rack up a bit of a bill. Gas-figure at least 150 gallons at say 3 bucks per gallon-that's at least $450 for gas. We'll need two more sets of tires at 800 a set, before we worry about whether to shave them and have no rain tires, and it sounds like Lemans, it does rain that time of year. Fresh brakes, plus a spare set, and some more spares, say a used trans, a couple of axles, a case of synethic oil, trans fluid, gear oil, various gaskets, some belts, Dave wants a spare clutch. A spare distrbutor would be nice, as the when they die, the car just stops running. Getting a crew to service the car every hour or so, plus a race manager to run the show while the drivers get the glory. Then get the crew, and someplace for them to shelter from the aforementioned rain, to the track, again at $2.50 a gallon, get the gas to the track, feed and provision the crew for 25 hours.

What I'm learning is building the car is one thing, we've got that. Paying the frieght to run a car for 25 hours is another, if you can't come up with some paying drivers, or a sponsor. (and who wants to let just anyone with a bucket of money drive, I mean wreck, the car we've so much time and effort to create.)

Hhmm. Got to figure this deal out.