Very basic question about Fox body set up.

Klayfish

I know I'm going to sound like a total moron, but I'll try my best. I had many people refer me here as a great place to get advice.

I'm in the process of trying to build an '87 Mustang for autox and open track use. I have no dilusions right now of being able to afford to run the car in the CMC series or any other series right now. It will be limited to as many open track days as I can afford to run. Obviously, that shows you I'm on a very limited budget.

That said, I'm working on the car one section at a time. I'm doing suspension now. I'd like some advice on setting it up. As much as I'd love to run the high end stuff, I just simply can't. On a budget, what would you recommend for someone who has limited experience and just wants to go out, have fun and be safe. I've been scouring the forums for suggestions and parts deals. I've got a lead on a Griggs coilover package that has the Griggs springs, Tokico Illumina struts and Koni yellow shocks. My other option is to go with a to-be-determined set of non-coilover race springs (750lb or so?) up front, try to afford Koni double adjustables in the front, and maybe Tokicos in the rear.

Again, sorry if I sound like a complete newbie, but I'm trying to learn.

Steve

Steve - 1st, remeber that there are no stupid questions - only stupid people. Given the fact you have a Mustang, well....

The good thing about working on the suspension is that you can do one thing at a time. The bad part of that is that if you don't have a plan, you can fall short, or well overshoot where you want to be. For example, it's really easy to go nuts with an aftermarket catalog, and build yourself out of CMC and into AI (where the cost get a lot bigger).

So, 1st piece of advice, decide where you want to end up. If you're aiming for eventual CMC/AI/AS, keep those rules in mind while you pick your parts. If you just want a track day car, but also a daily driver, that's another thing to consider. You'd be REALLY unhappy 360 days a year driving a street car with 700+ pound springs and the rest of the bits. So, where do you want to go?

Brad, thanks. Nice not to get my head handed to me for a basic question. I'm reading as much as I can as fast as I can.

Short answer about where I want to go with the car....have fun. I do not intend to run the car in CMC or other series. Even if I built the car to the top using top dollar stuff, I just wouldn't have the time, resources or ability to run those series. Other obligations come first right now. My honest goal for this car is 5-10 autox and 4-5 (or more if I'm lucky) open track events. If money allows, I'll do more open track. But my primary goal is be safe and have fun. It's just being realistic. The car will NOT be street legal, so I'm not worried about comfort. I've got a company car, and another weekend toy car for street use.

Steve

Hey Klayfish,

You sound like us!

I had a TR3 I played with some autocross, lot's of touring, etc. before I started really racing. With that and the rules limited classes of stock cars we ran, we learned that sway bars make a huge difference, and aren't too expensive to upgrade and install.

Probably the biggest thing to make life more fun is to go with some decent tires. I put some Comp TAs on the TR3 and made it a lot better. (Not as good as my buddy's Mini Cooper, though.) If you are just doing open track days, consider trying to get some 15 race tires take offs form the local short track. They're about 10 inches wide and slicks, and could be really fun.

Summit had some KYB adjustable shocks for my 3rd gen Camaro that weren't too pricey, but I've also seen that just putting decent new shocks on a car can make a big difference, for only little money.

Do consider getting a racing seat. TC Race Cars has their econo circle track seat for about 100 bucks, and when you add a 5 point harness for 59.99 you'll stay in the seat nicely, which is surprising on how that helps to go fast quotient. Makes the spousal unit more comfortable that if things do get out of hand, you'll walk away. Just the 5 point harness on a stock seat helps, too.

If you are in So Cal, I may be able to hook you up with a fabricator that can put a cage, or even just a roll bar, seat and harness mounting in the car for a decent price.

Kevin Hall

#82 CMC Camaro.

Ooops, guess I should have put all my info in first. Sorry about that. The car already has a roll cage in it and subframe connectors, so I'm off to a good start. A racing seat and 5 point harness are an absolute certainty for me. As is a battery cut off switch and fire extinguisher. Gotta make sure I get home to my 3 month old son.

I've been speaking to lots and lots of experts. I just called Maximum Motorsports, as lots of people seem to like them. Their recommendation to me, given the very limited budget and intended use of the car is as follows. H&R race springs 750/850 up front and 300 in the rear. Bilstein sport struts and shocks front/rear. One other Mustang tuner I trust recommends using 1100lb springs up front and 300 rear, but says I absolutely need to use Koni double adjustables at all 4 corners. Will the adjustibility of the Koni's be lost on a novice like me? Which would you pick if you were a novice? I've got 3 years autox experience and 4 open track events in the last 2 years.

Steve

• Members

Steve

Where do you live? The reason I ask is...what's the difference between entering a racing event and entering an HPDE/open track? Other than having to live with rules, the cost (entry fee, travel, tires, pads, etc) should be the same. Just because you're in a racing class doesn't mean you have to drive like your paycheck depended on it. I'll bet you you'll have more fun with other cars in a racing class than an open track event. You don't have to run the full season you know

In any case, to get to your real questions...

You absolutely DONT need Koni doubles for what you're looking to do. I'd keep an eye out on Corner-Carvers, since there's a lot of Mustang guys there (just be careful when you post! ), and their classifieds regularly turn up good Mustang goodies when guys upgrade. Besides, I would focus more attention to your brakes, tires, and cooling before worrying about suspension too much.

Steve,

A coilover set-up with the requisite tubular K-member is cool but totally unnecessary for the intended use you have stated thus far. If you are on a budget my advice is buy a package from a reputable source. Maximum is good and has excellent customer service. It is too easy to spend too much money and overbuild at this point. Don't mix and match parts from different sources. A very fast, fun and reliable car can be built using the conventional A-arm and coil spring set-up you have now. My suggestion is to upgrade your existing brakes, springs and shocks, bushings and hit the track. Scan other posts here and other forums for overall info but be wary about getting sucked in to the "you have absolutely got to run this" line of thinking. Email me and I can help you with the specifics. Good Luck!

Greg Robinson

[email protected]

robinsonmotorsport.com