5.7 TPI?

Guest jason

hey everyone, i am wanting to race and i found the CMC page. I have an 89 Iroc with a 5.7 TPI L98. Is that a legal engine to compete in the CMC?

I dunno - the rules are slightly gray here.

The book says the car needs to have an engine type that was installed in the car.

AND that you can convert an auto to a stick.

So, put those 2 rules together, and you have a 3rd gen that 'originally' came with a 350 (like the IROCs), converted to a 5-speed that would be legal.

This might be a loophole, so the directors should chime in...

So, put those 2 rules together, and you have a 3rd gen that 'originally' came with a 350 (like the IROCs), converted to a 5-speed that would be legal.

This is called the "Richard Pryor rule."

• Members

No such luck Brad

From section 4: Eligible Manufacturers/Models

General Motors (Early GM)

Eligible Early GM makes and models:

1982-92 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels with 5.0L V8 motors eg – RS, Z28 etc)

1982-92 (all submodels with 5.0L V8 motors eg Formula, Trans-Am, WS6 etc)

Then, from section 8.13.1

Any 5.0 or 5.7... that was originally offered in an eligible model car is legal.

BUT, no 82-92 MODEL cars that came with 350s are legal, so 350s in 3rd gens are not legal, no grey area.

You know, the Board of Directors might want to consider allowing the 350 TPI...the engines are plentiful and cheaper in junkyards than the 305's; the 230hp/300torque limits the specs so what does it matter which engine?; CMC already allows 350's in the 93 up Camaros...just apply the same rules to 350tpi 82-92 F bodies....just a thought...rp

• Members

Its worth considering Richard. A 350 would likely carry a need for more weight. Its not really peak hp/tq you should be interested in, its area under the curve...we'll talk about it.

Any 5.0 or 5.7... that was originally offered in an eligible model car is legal.

This last line should be deleted then. If no 350 will ever be in a 3rd gen, why does the rule say "Any 5.0 or 5.7... that was originally offered in an eligible model car is legal."?

It seems pretty clear that the 5.7 liter is not in the below list of eligible early GM makes and models. It is legal, however, in the eligible GM 4th gen models.

I can see how series directors would not want to tangle with the torquey 5.7 L98 in a 3rd gen. The T-5 would not hold up with a 5.7 in stock form, that is a big part of the reason why the 5.7 3rd gens came from the factory only with the 700R4 auto. Stock drivetrains are in the spirit of the series, swapping in a non-stock tranny would not be.

Thanks Julie,

That's right, and the rules say its not legal,so that is the way it stays.

There is no reason for me to state the 20 reasons why this would never work,and besides the rules were written for a reason,so we follow them.

This subject is closed,and thanks for all the responses.

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Chief Director