OH/IN CMC Participation in 2005?

Keith

Anyone planning on running CMC in OH/IN in 2005?

My car is currently running in AI, albeit very poorly. If I remove 4 mods, I will be CMC-legal. If I go for CMC, will I be a lonely sap or are others planning to join up for 2005?

Hey Keith - We've got one car right now - it's a ragtop Mustang. He ran at Mid Ohio last month.

Right now I've caved to the pressures of family life, so no racing for me...

I say convert it, it's less expensive to run CMC - much better bang for the buck!!!

Are you coming out to Putnam in Oct?

Hi, Tim. We met at the banquet last year (I'm not sure if you remember).

Yes, I know the ragtop Mustang driver - his name is Tom. He says that he is contemplating a move to AI for 2005 but I am going to try to talk him out of it... From an informal poll that I took, it appears that there are a few people thinking about CMC versus AI for 2005 but everyone is waiting for the "other guy" to make the first move.

Yes, I will be at Putnam. My motor is about to expire and I really didn't want to have to run it again but it's 4 points races and I would like to finish the year with top rookie points... I hope the car makes it...

I am 80% sure that I will be in CMC next year.

• 1 month later...

I am exploring running CMC, just trying to figure up a budget. I've already got a 1985 Camaro that's sitting around doing nothing, so it can be put to good use. If nothing else, I can build it to meet class rules over the winter, then get to work on earning my competiton license.

I just got home and unloaded from the last race at Putnam Park. I have decided to go CMC (many lone hours in the tow vehicle).

So, I know that we have a Mustang guy next year (Tom), potentially, Tim and now "TrackAddict" and also a West Coast CMC guy that is moving to our area. This could be good!!!!

TrackAddict - If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them or point you in the right direction.

CMC, here I come!

Keith,

Way to go, and you made a great decision to race in CMC.

I saw your post on the rules and your parts you have and Al Fernandez already answered most of the stuff ,but please feel free to ask any of us any and all questions.

Thanks & Welcome,

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Director

• Members

Every region starts the same way: a few nervous guys not wanting to be the first but eventually deciding to just do it... Just look at the Texas region though. In just one full year they've attracted a bunch of attention, and a bunch of cars. Oh/In wont be any different.

Thanks, Keith! I've been going over things like the safety regs and CCR -- first priority is putting together a safe car. I've got a very accomplished welder/fabricator who has given me a quote on welding the cage. We're going to be looking at ways to make the cage stronger than the rules require (x-bracing, NASCAR-style door protection, etc). Any thoughts or suggestions there would be great.

Any recommendations on a driver's seat would be appreciated as well. One other thing I am also vague on is noise limits. What types/brands of mufflers are sufficient in our region? Do any of the tracks in our region have a particular dB level we need to meet?

Al and Tony - thanks for the encouraging words and input to date. I may end up being a PITA short-term, but I want to "finish" the car and forget about it so there will be a concentrated burst of information-gathering so that I can assemble my "winter punchlist" ASAP. I think this is gonna be a good move and as you hint at, I think others will follow...

TrackAddict - Here is a link to pictures of my cage. It is fairly standard fare until you get to the rear of the car. Like you, the previous owner of my car was focused on safety and sacrificed some weight to make the car safer than the rules require (except he didn't add NASCAR bars, darn it!). Specifically, there is a unique "feature" in the rear of the cage to provide very good protection for the fuel tank (no cell!). While this added weight to the car, I feel very safe in it. The rear interior of the 3rd gen is similar to the 4th gen so if you need more pictures or want me to measure something, let me know and I'll get you what you want. At events this year, I have had multiple people that are currently building cars visit my car with tape measures and digital cameras. BTW - the cage was built by Piper Motorsports in Richmond, VA.

http://community.webshots.com/album/126797389yxzdMI

Seats - I am no expert in seats. I have a pair of Corbeau Forza II seats in my car and I think there are better choices out there. I added seatback plates to them to add stiffness to the rear of the seat. Once things stabilize financially next season, I may replace them but I gotta wait for the $$$ to free up.

I suggest that you check the CCR (FIA specs and such) and check around with other drivers to see what they have (frrax.com is a good f-body resource). There is probably an optimal price/performance tradeoff out there and you also need to check what seat you will fit into (depending on your size and weight). I suggest that you contact http://www.stranoparts.com/ or http://www.on-trackperformance.com/ by telephone and talk to them. I know the guys that run both of these places - tell them "Keith" sent you...

Looks like I need to get another Mustang to be sure that things are even

Looks like 2005 is shaping up!

Once we get 3 or 4 cars out there, I'm sure that we'll start getting more interest. As it was stated above, the first 3 or 4 cars are the hardest to get.

Hopefully I'll be able to get another car before next season - still have a few more months before the season starts!!!

Thanks for the comment on the cage. I do like it. However, it may turn out to be illegal after all. I need to check a few things... I'll report back.

Oh dont worry I know that Tim will have a car for next year...

If they only really knew..right Tim???

Cats out of the bag now.

Tony

Geez, if that's true than Tim has a GREAT poker face. He sure didn't let on this past Sunday at Putnam Park. ...care to comment, Tim?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the comment on the cage. I do like it. However, it may turn out to be illegal after all. I need to check a few things... I'll report back.

TrackAddict -

Just to follow up on the cage. I've had a number of dialogs with our regional NASA official about my cage. The rear braces are technically illegal due to the angle that they run from the top of the main hoop. In CCR rule 15.5.11 Rear Braces, it states that the rear braces "shall be installed to form no more than a one hundred five (105) degree angle or no less than a seventyfive (75) degree angle with the main hoop when viewed from the top." My rear braces run from the outside of where the occupant's heads are all the way to the opposite, extreme rear corner of the car. Then, to compensate for the length (and inherent potential flex) of the rear braces, reinforcement bars were added to the midpoint of the rear braces in the center of them and they run back to the bottom-rear of the main hoop. I just measured my attachment points and they are 60/120 degrees rather than 75/105 degrees.

All of this was done to protect the fuel tank in case of a side-rear impact and actually adds weight to the car without increasing stiffness in any meaningful way. Overall, it appears that this cage will get the OK from our region and this will need to be noted in my logbook. However, starting from scratch I woudn't suggest that you go with a design like this unless you get the OK before contruction begins. I still think that this is a nice, safe design for an f-body.

• Members

Keith...excellent follow through on getting the cage checked out and approved. I agree, I think that cage will stand up as well or better than most out there. I'm glad you got official word and will get it in your book so there'll be no question in the future

Well, it's too bad that it is not technically within the rules. I am really hoping that people interested in CMC come by to talk to me about my car and the series next year. It will suck when I have to tell them that the cage is a "special case". Like I said, I was looking to be the "Boy Scout". However, in this case, I am going to leave it as it...

I believe that I need a notation in my logbook when I run other regions. It will also give me something to show someone when they have a question. Sine I was so slow compared to the AI front-runners this year, no one ever questioned anything about my car.