25 members have voted

1. 1. Head and neck restraint

• HANS
    • Simpson D-Cell
    • Isaac
    • Hutchens
    • None

• Members

I know some of you never get in your car without one. I also know some of us don't even own one. I'd like to take a poll of which you use and some opinions (aka, if you had to do it again, would you get the same one, etc)

I've got the D-Cel.

It's pretty comfy once it's on, but it's a slight pain to get it there. It takes a good few hours to get it fitted right.

Sitting in the car, you barely notice it, until you try to turn your head. I have mine set to give me about 30 degrees of movement (I think the book says more like 20, but don't quote me).

If I had it to do over again, and I had another $1,000, I would go HANS for ease of use. But I don't, so I'm cool.

Interesting thought - after Bill died at Buttonwillow - EVERYONE seemed to want to get one. I think I'm the only one new to wearing one since that race. What happened?

I figure this is one piece I'd rather not find that I needed AFTER the fact. I can live with "Gee, I wish I woulda had new tires" vs. "Gee, I wish I had a head & neck restraint" - I figure at that point, it's too late.

CMC rules require roll cages, seat belts and other safety gear...isn't it time for CMC to require all drivers to have a HANS or equal restraint system...this should be an amendment to the 2005 season rules...like Brad said...skip the new tires, paint or luxo hotel rooms and go with safety...while I subscribe to the basic theory that those dumb enough not to have the common sense to protect themselves are winnowed out by survival of the intelligent, you can still father future generations of idiots while a paraplegic...so let's make the HANS as important as the roll cage, etc. rp

• Members

Ok, three people answered they use the HANS...other than Mike that just ordered it, who? (if you dont mind admitting it).

I hear what you're saying Brad. I want to get one, but I'm torn between the hans (which I think is easier to live with) and the D-cell (which I can use when instructing in cars without 5 point harnesses)

OK,so I was the first one in CMC to wear anything and after I reviewed the actual test results with dummies hitting a wall straight on at 180 mph,the hutchens and the hans were tested against each other.

The test results were so close that it was determined that both were doing what they were supposed to do..keep your head from coming off your shoulders with a basal skull fracture which is what kills you in these accidents.

The hutchins (more commonly worn by the Nascar boys) came out just a fraction better than the hans in the straight on tests,where the Hans had just a very slight better result from a front/side hit.

Both were deemed excellent choices.

Since then there are several more available products in use.

Bottom line is,why would you go out there and race when these are now available,you cant say "damn I wish I had that thing on"after your crash into the wall.

What is your life worth?

Did we all not see death at the track at Buttonwillow, shouldnt that have been enough?

For $300 you can get the proven Hutchens device,and for a little more the Formula 1 mandated Hans, or the Simpson.

Do it now everyone,as you know you never have seen me without mine on for over a year and a half now.

As far as ease of use goes,I really do forget I have it on,but it took a few races to get to that point.

The Hutchens that I wear is one of the easiest ones around, as you can put it on after you are sitting in the car,and I can do it myself if I have to,so I am satisfied with the one that I wear and would buy it again if I had to.

You don't need a new helmet as you just install it on your current one with two d rings ( took me about 10 minutes)

Thanks..stay safe,

Tony Guaglione

Edited by Guest

I got my Simpson directly from NASA - I think it was something like $375. Good discount.

Check with Ryan to see if he has any left...

I don't think any of the better one's require a new helmet. I can't be sure about others like the G-Force...

I am ordering a HANS also. I have been using a neck collar, it cost me about $50 at http://www.ioportracing.com There are absolutely ZERO excuses for not wearing one of these. As far as my decision to purchase HANS over DCell or Hutchens was the long range cost. The belt systems expire and have to be replaced periodically, something in the 3-5 year range if I remember right. Cost is definitely a consideration, and the HANS is a permanent device with a one time expense.

Al, for instructing I wear my neck collar.

Hello everyone. I thought I might be able to give some valuable input on this subject.

Hello to the new CMC guys I haven't met. I used to race CMC for two years and was lucky enough to win the season championship in 2002.

I wear a HANS device. As Tony said, the data on the HANS and Hutchens are pretty close. The Simpson D-cell looks good. Last year, I hit the wall at almost head-on at 90 mph in the Toronto Grand Prix. My Corvette C5R was really smashed, including a bent frame. I walked away without any pain in my neck. It felt like someone yanking your head backward toward your spine where it belongs. There is a good chance I am alive today because I wore a good head and neck restraint device.

This year, I decided to try my luck circle track racing at local NASCAR Late Model events. Circle track racing is a contact sport! I've been involved in about eight crashes this year. Many were head-on with another car or the wall. I once t-boned another car at about 85 mph. Once again the HANS might have saved my life. To check out my crashes from my in-car video, look here: www.campbellracing.com

Like Richard stated, don't ever sacrifice on your safety gear! Run your used tires one extra weekend and buy a restraint system with the saved money. Two people just died last week at Thunderhill and one last year at Buttonwillow. None of the three drivers wore any head and neck restraint systems. Be safe.

Don Campbell

I've used a neck collar for my 6 years of oval racing, like Don says oval stuff is definitely a contact sport. Thomas hit me last night at Irwindale!

I got the G-Force SRS-1 when I got my new G-Force SA2000 Helmet, (it wasn't on your poll, Al) and haven't had to use it yet. Thomas was given a Hutchens by a friend with a Super Late Model who moved up to a Hans. I personally think the SRS-1 is better than the Hutchens.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. went to a HANS, after wrecking hard somewhere, and his crew made him go to a better helmet and head restraint.

I also started using a head sock after Jr.'s wreck at Sears Point. The upside is it helps keeps sweat from running into your eyes.

• Members

Wow...lots of new Hans users in CMC it looks like. Kevin, I couldn't get the survey to work with too many choices for some reason. I wanted to add the G-Force and the Isaac to the list as well. I don't know anyone using the Isaac, but then again as of Sears none of us were using a Hans either...

HANS is on the way, ordering is easy! You measure your neck in inches, the select the model for the angle you sit at, and then you can have them install the anchor system for you by sending them your helmet for free or you can do it at home. I sent them my helmet. Turn around is quick.

I just recieved my HANS device and thought I would share my initial impressions. I decided to install the helmet attachment posts myself instead of sending my helmet back to Hubbard Downing. The installation of the mounting posts was very easy and took about half an hour. Most of that time was spent reading and rereading the instructions, then double and triple checking my measurements.

The device fits more snug along the sides of the neck than I would have guessed and there is definitely a technique putting the device on and taking it off when the helmet is attached. I didn't experiment with putting on the device and helmet independently while in the car and then attaching them, but will give that a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised with the range of motion the device allows, I think it will be very easy to get comfortable with. Strapping into the car takes a little more effort but again, less than I would have expected. I tried an emergency exit and found that the device added no additional time or effort to the exit. This aspect was a bit annoying since I paid the extra $75 for the optional quick disconnect tethers purely to aid in quick exits. Now I know I have to practice attaching the HANS to the helmet while in the car just to justify the added expense to myself.

I found that the device is very much sensitive to the surrounding environment. If you are used to resting the back of your helmet against the seat, you will quickly learn that the HANS wants about an inch and a half of clearance. Mirror adjustments at a minimum are required while seat repositioning or modification may be needed. The device is ultra sensitive to upper mounting position of the shoulder belts. The device requires no more than 3" of separation between the upper shoulder belts at the mounting point. My separation measured 5.5" and the belts would slip off to the side of the device with snug belts, tightening the belts kept everything in place. I will be drilling new mounting holes before Sears Point.

So far so good. Let's see what I think after getting on the track.

Mike

Anyone have any experience with the Isaac? I bought one, but I haven't installed it yet. I started to install the mounting points on my helmet, but got frustrated. I basically need to dismantle the entire interior of my helmet. I couldn't get the inner shell out with out ruining it, so I stopped. I plan to give Isaac a call for some help when I saw this discussion and thought I would ask for any feedback.

Depending on who is providing the information, the Isaac is nearly as good in a frontal, however, much better in a side impact. Anyone have any information?

Dave

• 1 year later...

So, after nearly 2 years, have opinions changed?

I've heard (read) nothing but praise from the Isaac system, has anyone here used it? I'm drawn very much to this one even though it has multiple release points.

On a side note, when will we know what will be required for next year? No point buying an Isaac if I can't use it.

have had the Hans hooked to my helmet for a year now and am very satisfied....only one problem at last race weekend

the fastner that holds the side strip fell off into my lap while puttin my helmet on before a race ....solution... use loc tight on side bolts and check once in awhile

Hans Device for me, I have a titanium plate in my neck from a crash involving a student I was riding with a few years ago, so the hans is a little extra protection for a fragile neck, it took a little getting used to but I don't think twice about it now.

Aaron

Gary - based on comments from Jerry Kunzman, if a H&N restraint is required, it will have to meet SFI 38.1.

I've been wearing a Hubbard and Downing HANS all season, and won't race without one. As Aaron mentioned, it does take a little getting used to, but once you wear one, you won't drive without it....no different than your helmet, driver suit, gloves, etc.

I am very happy with the way the HANS performed when I was hit by two cars at a standstill on track. I suffered some neck pain for about a week, that was it. I took a header over an ice chest that Wed after the Sunday wreck, that was actually a lot more painful!

I got a HANS at the beginning of the season and I have to say that literally after the first session on track with it I virtually forgot it was even on. The only time I notice anything different than before I had it is reentering the pits after a session when I may need to turn my head to watch for traffic. But it's so easy to disconnect the anchors from the helmet even with gloves that even that is not an issue. However, I do think that it has some issues when trying to get out of the car quickly. Before I wore it, I could get out of my car in well under 10 seconds belted in with all my gear on through the window. The couple of times I've practiced with the HANS on, it has hung up on the window frame.