Battery safety

Al F.

• Members

I wanted to bring something up for everyone

This past weekend Brett took a pretty good shot right in front of the rear wheel. The impact knocked his battery loose because the steel hooks holding it down failed.

Brett used the typical J hooks that you get at auto parts stores for holding batteries down. He had drilled through the trunk floor, slipped them up, and used a steel brace across the top of the battery with nuts and washers. The J hooks straightened the J to be more of an I, and the sheet metal floor ripped.

There are many sanctioning bodies that specifically prohibit using J hooks for mounting batteries. Nasa does not specify anthing other than making sure the battery is "secure". What does that mean?

My recommendations:

never use J hooks

use 5/16 diameter or larger threaded rod or bolts

use large diameter (3/4" min), thick washers (18ga min) or better yet span the two bolts with a strip of steel

Good point Al,

one thing I'd like to add to your post about battery safety is that after a previous battery problem, I replaced it with an Optima SpiralCell battery which I got from Autozone. (Thanks for the tip Al)

Fortunately, having that particular battery meant that although it came loose from it's mount and ended on its side, there was no acid/water spill or anything else and I was able to re-mount the battery and continue on unaffected. These batteries are certainly not the cheapest out there, but maybe a good option for anyone replacing, upgrading or possibly wanting to re-locate their own battery.

See YA

Brett

Here's some notes about the battery itself from the Optima website:

OPTIMA RedTop Battery

Last's up to 2 times longer than other batteries.

More power in the inital 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead acid batteries.

Constant performance quality keeping your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.

Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged, it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a car.

15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries.

Nonspillable and can mount in almost any position.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/starter.html

• Members

Thanks Brett.

For the record, my post wasn't a dig on Brett's battery installation skills! I think he did a very nice, neat job, using the parts you get at the stores. Unfortunately that isn't adequate for our needs and none of the rule books tell you any detail. I just want to make sure no one else experiences a battery flying at their head at 30mph!

Great discussion guys,and I agree with one thing for sure and that is if the battery is inside your car, get the optima one, as it just does not seem safe to have something in your car that could leak or explode.

Glad Brett's car is Ok..at least the battery is...

Tony