3rd gen tow eyes

cmc79

With the rules change in the CCR, making them required, I need some input on tow eye placement.

Location.. front and rear. Where is the best place?

Pictures would be benificial.

Consider using a "soft-hook". By this I mean something like an axle strap. Doing it this way means it cannot damage your frame, or whatever its attached to, if you bump into something or get rear-ended. I believe you could custom order these from companies like M&R. Determine the length you need and have them sew on a typical axle ring on one end like they do on the axle straps and on the other end sew on one of the ends that go on lap belt ends to bolt to the chassis. Weld a properly gusseted tab to a good point on your frame and bolt to that. Make sure that this spot will allow a straight pull without having to wrap around anything sharp. Then cut an opeing in your bumper for the strap to go through and let the end hang over outside the bumper cover.

I can see that working well if it is a straight pull.

However, if the tow rig is tugging slightly off center, then the bumper cover is gonna get ripped or at least moved.

I'm leaning towards something stationary ...

A source for "premade" tow eyes is your local Orchard Hardware or equal store....they stock forged eye bolts in varying lengths and diameters. Cost is around $20 each. They can be bolted or welded to the car...varies with the car, some need custom mounting others are obvious...rp

• 6 months later...

Got my OSH tow hooks in....are the little red arrow stickers required? If so where do I get them? ioport didn't have any shown on their site although they do have the 'E' and ignition ones.

-Ron

• Members

Little red arrows arent required, but they're nice to have for the tow crews. I dont know where to get 'em, but you can make them out of orange or red tape.

Little red arrows arent required, but they're nice to have for the tow crews. I dont know where to get 'em, but you can make them out of orange or red tape.

Easy nuff........

• 3 years later...

I'm trying to put the last tweaks on an 88 Camaro for a debut (for me) next month. What I read appears to leave two risks: damage the bumper cover with an off-center tow, or damage the frame from an impact that might otherwise have limited effect.

Either way, though, it looks like attaching to the most forward or aft end of a "frame" element is the way to go? Any experience over three seasons that would help me go one way or t'other?