Driving Suit?

Hi:

I really need some help. I have been trying to find a good driving suit for CMC. The problem is that the off the shelf suits stop at about 6' 3". I'm 6' 5" so trying on some suits is not an option. In fact I'm going to be stuck with paying an extra $150 - $200 depending on the brand for a made to order suit. Add to this I've been having a hard time getting any answers to my questions from the distributors. I was hoping to get some feedback on which suit you use and what you like or don't like about it, where you got it and if you would recommend that source. I found a "NASA" suit on the Bell website but they can't tell me if this stands for our NASA or the one that sends stuff into space. It is a vented suit but I don't know if that is such a good idea for a fire suit. All of your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Call Ken at I/O Port...he's the most knowledgeable and friendly race equipment purveyor around...I buy all my racing junk from him...great prices and incredible services..he'll help you find the right suit...and don't forget a HANS device...Richard Pryor

• Members

Get a hold of Ken at IOPort Racing. They sell Nasa (which is a model name for a suit made by Pyrotect). He helped me out a lot when I was trying to figure out which end was up with racing suits.

Thanks for the info. I would still like to know what your experiences are with your suits. Since I have to pay extra for the suit I am willing to pay a bit more if necessary.

Thanks again

Wolf

• Members

I have the Nasa suit and for the money I have no issues with it. Its comfortable and has aged well over the two years I've owned it. It might not look as sharp as Brad's suit...but then again I'm not as pretty as he is anyway.

I see that Al and I posted at the exact same time on our recommendation of Ken and I/O Port....as always I was first...by the way, Ken's phone nmber is 800-949-5712....and Al, don't let anyone tell you you aren't good looking....no matter how ugly you are you'll always look good on the racetrack in your Camaro...rp

As far as these suits go, if it is fitted properly it will be a non-issue on race day. NASA has already determined what minimum spec you will use, so just go from there. Wash in gentle cycle with Woolite.

Thanks Al - at least I think that was a compliment. To me and the 4,785,254 people that are prettier than you. I don't think I'd be the first one to advise Becky to drop by LensCrafters one day after work - how'd you score so big there?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - I have a Sparco "5" series, and I really like it. I'm 6'4" if I stand upright, and 200# so buying a rack suit was tough for me too. But I didn't want to spend the $8-900 for a custom Simpson (though my next one will be).

There's plenty of room from crotch to shoulders, which is important (especially if your Al, I guess). It's missing probably 1-2" in the leg length, but hightop shoes fixes that problem and covers the cuffs. And there's probably 2-3" extra in the waist and chest. But hey, I'll be able to grow into it if I ever pack on about 50-60 more pounds.

Gotta give those Fords a weight advantage somehow.

I started with a Simpson Std. 19 suit off the shelf, but had to have it altered to fit my 6'0" 195lb. frame. It worked but wasn't very comfortable. I have a Sparco now and it fits great with no alterations. I'd suggest trying on as many as you can and decide on the features you want or need. Try it on with what you will actually be wearing during driving underneath. Be sure to sit down in the driving position with arms, legs and feet in proper position and go through the motions. You are buying it for driving, not for standing. Good luck!

Greg Robinson

CMC Director