"OEM or OEM replacement" - clarification on intent

mitchntx1548534714

From the 2005 CMC rules

8.5.1. Fenders must be OEM stock or an OEM replacement.

Am I to assume this refers to bumper covers as well? Was this the "intent" of this rule?

There are a lot of aftermarket bumper covers out there for Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds that target asphalt racing.

For example ...

http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=14179

http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=14173

These are OEM replicas that are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than OEM replacements, even through auto salvage facilities.

Would these be acceptable?

OEM = GM Built and\or supplied - as in what the dealer would put on your car if it was broke, and needed replacement.

OEM replacement = Similar to OEM as in dimensions/materials/etc, but manufactered in Taiwan.

Basically, if you can get a part for your car at the dealer or a salvage yard, or a replacement manufacturer, that's what you need.

Circle track body parts (which are generally shells of plastic with nothing behind them) would be a no-no.

The reasoning is that this is a 'stock' class - as in what was delivered from the showroom floor.

Mitch, just run what you want. you can run an illegal part for up to a year before you have to fix/remove it. Right Adam!?! :P

Oh, OK ...

I'm being labeled as a troublemaker ... the spoils of curiousity, I guess.

I'll ask no more questions ... promise

Mitch - you are no more of a troublemaker than the rest of us ( me? ).

Seriously, your questions are aren't trouble at all - AAMOF, they are very helpful to those who may have the same question, but just haven't asked it yet. Please, don't stop asking. Ya never know - Tony might have a momentary lapse of reason and approve something.