Roll cage mounting question

Rusty105

Hello,

I have a roll cage mounting question, that I don't think has been discussed, or at least I can't find it. I am figuring on how to mount the main hoop, and front down tubes as close to the rocker panels as I can and still be able to weld around the tube. If I space the tube in about 1-1.5 inches from the rocker I can weld all around, but would like to incorporate the rocker as much as possible. The mounting plate will run up the rocker about 4 inches. Can I weld gussets from the tube to the rocker panel, and still be legal? Or is there a preferred way to do this?

--

Rusty

A couple of tips. Make "L" shaped brackets out of .080"+ steel and weld the brackets to the tub. That means welding the vertical section of the "L" to the tub side...this adds much strength as the floor is too thin to support the loads should you see the world up side down Then weld the main hoop and front down tubes to the sides and bottom of the "L".....it is not necessary to weld completely around the tube, but good professional welds are required...it's your butt...weld accordingly I would suggest you get a SCCA GCR and study the cage requirments as all other sanctioning bodies accept those specs. Good luck...let me know if you have other questions. Chuck

It was my impression that all welds had to be 360 around the tubes. I am making mounting plates to fit the tub, and inner rocker panel, but I went a little overkill on that and may have to get some .080 steel. I have 11 gage which is somewhere around .11, I can't bend it much to fit the contours, I have to cut pieces and weld them together. I was still wondering if I can added gussets to the sides, and still be legal. I have been comparing the SCCA, and NASA regulations on cages, and they are somewhat similar, but have been using the NASA regs if their was a difference in the two, should I use the SCCA regs???

---

Rusty

Gussets are allowed, but check the latest fastrack for new specs. Were it me, I would definitely use SCCA specs...that gives you another avenue when/if you sell the car.

As far as welding 360, there are some areas where it is not possible, and some where more than 360 is better. Any tube/tube interface must be 360. The vertical tubes that weld to brackets for the main hoop and front down tubes can be 360 arount the round section of the tube, but a better weld is if the sides of the tube are also welded the length of the reinforcing bracket. No one is going to yell at you for too much welding. I built my first cage, but paid for the second one to be built. There are things I like better on my first, such as door bars that touched the door skin....the ones on the new cage need to be moved out to give me more room. However, the new cage was done by a VERY experienced cage bilder and there are welds he did that I could have never done. Sometimes it is worth taking the car to someone with experience and have the job done right. Chuck