Engine Question

Boudy1548534717

One thing for sure is that we are tying to promote fun, competitive, low-cost, hassle free racing in CMC. It has been successful for almost 10 years now and the directors won't lose sight of those goals as the series progresses into the future.

Everyone had some great posts on both sides and we encourage discussion so as long as it doesn't threaten those goals. (Great end note, Boudy...you summed it up well.)

I can agree with Matt, Glenn & Mitch and others who find the single answers without any explaination don't go over well.

I can also see the director's point of view who time and time again are wary of being "tricked" into rules interpretation which doesn't meet the rules. As such, "just saying no" and referring to the rules is the easiest answer and the common language for us all.

Today the complaints come from the folks who want to do something...tomorrow the complaints come from the folks who got beat by the guy who was allowed to do it. Sticking to the rules as they are written keeps most everyone happy, since they are the same for everyone.

Now...here's your bone, Glenn. You're right, since it is low-cost, hassle free racing, we're not checking VINs to see what cars began life as. 4 cylinder Mustangs and 6 cyl. Camaros are not allowed in CMC by the letter of the rules...and we don't check VINs to make sure there are no 4 cyl cars in the field. (BTW...there are many.) We do check that the eligible models have the eligible running gear for their eligible year model....so folks should read between the lines and make sure their CMC cars are within the rules as they are written today.

Simple as that!

I'm done posting and going back to being a mindless director.

(no comments please.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt1548534716

• bsim

• Boudy1548534717

• tacovini

Boudy really gets it, and you know why... because he has been there.

The rules are the rules,and you know what, they are there to protect you from what can happen to a series and your check book, and as long as I'm here you can forget changes for absolute no reason at all.

The only changes you will ever see will be minor ones as you have seen in the past years.

CMC works, and it works better than any other series out there..and you know why..because of the rules, and the guys behind them who work their asses off to make this fun for all of us.

Race with us and you will get it, I promise.

Start spending some time on your cars and less time thinking about what if...These rules work and have for ten plus years.

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Director

Because it works so well is what the appeal is, at least it was for me.

I can also forsee a time when the well will dry of 3rd gen F-Bods and Fox Mustangs. What I would hate to see is a bunch of knee-jerk changes at the last minute to accomodate newer models, currently not allowed. That isn't "what if-ing" rather reality.

Is it not better to be ahead of the game rather than rectionary?

Like I said, I don't think anyone is asking for any mid-year wholesale changes. But I think there are some areas for refinement come the next round of tweaks ...

Back to lemming mode ...

Glen: I don't post alot. Most of my points get made by others if I wait long enough. However, in this case, I couldn't wait. I fully understand what your saying about the 98-02 cars. In fact, I agree that they should be legal if what I read is true. And no doubt, they eventually will be. What I think we disagree on is a general assault toward the rules to get what we want at a given time. Remember what I said above, one guys wants powder coat and another guy wants 98's. The rule book would quadruple in 1 season along with the cost of a competitive car. The rules are to keep that from happening and to do that, there will ultimately be areas that don't fit what you or I want to do to a car.

Sure, I'm hard headed, somewhat arrogant, sorta pushy, half sarcastic, and just plain rude. However, through all this, I'm not upset by any means. So please, don't become a mindless participant. We'll all lose.

So hey, respond, get back in the fray, and let's go racing together and have some DAMN fun.

Boudy

CMC stands for CAN'T MAKE CHANGES...and represents the basic philosophy that has guided the series to such success..everyone here has raised excellent points but the underlying idea is containment with a set criteria and THAT'S IT....sure you could add a chassis here and there and an engine here and there...and all of a sudden you aren't here anymore....if it ain't broke don't fix it....head in the sand ostrich racing works...just look at Formula Vee...heck they still race engines that haven't been made for decades and over 40 years the changes have been minimal, though too many in my book....CMC is on the right track and the Directors have a clear vision....as has been said - get your car on the track built according to the rules...race for three or four years and you'll see the wisdom of freezing the rules in the past...it's too easy to make changes and too hard to keep up with them...if you don't like the very things that make CMC great and stable, well, then there's American Iron and AIX...don't ask "why can't I (fill in the blank here with your request)", just ask, "when's the next race" and be there...and don't worry about the supply of old cars running out...we're good for decades to come...buy a few 3rd gens for $1500 and stockpile them for future racers or 4th gens for $3500...if you can't find donor cars give me a call as they're all over California, though as noted, Texas is the Camaro/Firebird capital of the universe yielding lots of cheap, rust free donor cars...check out eBay; they're out there...CMC, Can't Match the Competition.....to steal Nike's catch phrase...just do it. Richard "is it the 21st century yet?" Pryor