John K Shirley

2006 USRC POINTS STRUCTURE, TRANSPORT PLAN ANNOUNCED

John K Shirley

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

2006 UNITED STATES RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS STRUCTURE, TRANSPORTATION PLAN ANNOUNCED

Best Five out of Eight Events Count for Championship

Indianapolis, IN (October 21, 2005) – After a late afternoon meeting yesterday, United States Rally Championship (USRC) officials announced today the points structure for the 2006 Championship, as well as a new competitor vehicle transportation initiative.

“We’ll be retaining the per event points structure that we used in 2005,” stated Ivan Orisek, one of the Championship board members, “However, with the expansion of the Championship to eight events in 2006, the board was unanimous in approving a best five out of eight events to be counted toward the Championship.”

“We structured the Championship to minimize cross-country travel by pairing events on each coast,” continued Orisek, “Counting the best five out of eight events toward the Championship compliments this structure by providing a competitor with a second chance if they have a bad result in their first opposite coast event.”

“We’re also excited about the transportation plan,” added Roger Allison, another board member, “Looking into the prohibitive costs of cross-country rally team transportation, especially with the rise of fuel prices in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, we are arranging a team transportation plan which will allow our competitors to have their vehicles picked up regionally and delivered to the opposite coast events at a considerable savings to what they would spend on an individual tow.”

The United States Rally Championship, America’s premier rally championship, consists of Federation Internationale de L’Automobile (FIA) internationally listed events sanctioned by the United States Auto Club (USAC) and presented by the National Auto Sport Association (NASA). More information on the Championship is available at the series website at http://www.usrallychampionship.com. More information on USAC is available at http://www.usacracing.com and on NASA at http://www.nasarallysport.com. Competitors interested in the transportation plan should contact Wilson von Kessler at [email protected], (423) 265-2020.

United States Rally Championship Series

(423) 265-2020

[email protected]

Anders Green

Transport plan?!?! That sounds pretty cool!

Anders

TSDScooby

you got my attention.. this is getting interesting!

Cheers!

Emilio

Jgrahn

And for their next trick,

They'll actually tell us what the plan is!

Ivan Orisek
And for their next trick,

They'll actually tell us what the plan is!

We are working on a transporation plan to move the cars

across the country and also between the paired events on

each coast.

The final cost to competitors will depend on the number

of teams participating in the plan and in each trip.

Teams interested in participating in the 2006 United States

Rally Championship transportation plan are urged to indicate

their interest as soon as possible so we can finalize the arrangements

before the start of the season and preferably before the end

of December of this year.

Ivan Orisek

845-794-4096

[email protected]

Jgrahn

Knowing what the plan is, in advance, will help teams like mine more aptly build our budgets. Knowing what our budgets are, will help us make more informed decisions on what events we can and cannot make.

Tell us the plan = we can tell you what events we can do.

Anders Green
Tell us the plan = we can tell you what events we can do.

Jason, I'm guessing you're looking for something like: "If six cars sign up, it's $3000 for all transport, if 12 cars sign up, $2500." (Of course, all numbers in the preceding sentence came out of my (cowboy) hat.) That would be handy. Has anyone gotten in touch with Wilson yet?

Anders

starion887

Ivan, I am sure you cannot give any firm figure, but a ballpark estimate is pretty important, if folks are going to be able to judge what they can and cannot do financially. Can you give us a ballpark estimate ASAP?

Thanks,

Mark Bowers

Ivan Orisek
Ivan, I am sure you cannot give any firm figure, but a ballpark estimate is pretty important, if folks are going to be able to judge what they can and cannot do financially. Can you give us a ballpark estimate ASAP?

Thanks,

Mark Bowers

Mark,

We are working hard on a group plan that would make it significantly

cheaper for a group of competitors to travel cross country and also

between the paired events on the other coast than doing it individually.

It should be clear that the cost will depend on the number of teams

that would seriously consider participating in various trips required

by the 2006 USRC schedule.

So, we need your help. We need to hear from all of you which trips

you would undertake if the cost would be reasonable and acceptable

to you. This plan would not work if, for instance, only two teams

would participate in each trip.

If we can gauge the level of interest in such a plan, we can figure out

the cost per team and publish it. You would then be able to decide whether

this is something you want us to do.

I can tell you that if I would go today from New York to California and

back with my truck and the trailer with the rally car, I would spend

at least $2,500 just for diesel, without going to the second event on

the other coast. Our objective is to cut these costs significantly.

Ivan Orisek

Jgrahn

Ivan,

here is what I would like to see:

If 1 then $x

if 2 then $x/2

if 3 then $x/3

if 4 then $x/4

etc etc

Knowing what an extimate of saving is would not only allow us to budget appropriately, BUT also help us talk other teams in to making the trips.

jeffy

Having a plan like this in Canada is a great help to some of us.

Knowing the 2006 schedule soon would be helpful, some of us are already looking at 2006 CARS and RA events.

starion887

OK Ivan,

We will bite on this. We would do one event, probably in WA state. But eventually you, or whoever is running this, needs to come up with a cost so that we can make the judgement of 'is this reasonable' for us (and for others).

I think you would be best served by coming up with the cost first, based on x number of cars. This is a service offering; all service and product offerings need to answer the 3 questions of:

- What is is/ what does it do?

- How much does it cost?

- When can I get it?

Answers to 1 and 3 are trivial in this case, 2 is the questino to answer.

Jason, FYI, some quick on-line checks of 1 way rates to LA or Seattle show lowest rates to be in the $750-$800 range. Assume 2x for 2 way.

Mark B.

Ivan Orisek
Having a plan like this in Canada is a great help to some of us.

Knowing the 2006 schedule soon would be helpful, some of us are already looking at 2006 CARS and RA events.

The schedule for the 2006 United States Rally Championship was announced on July 26, 2005 - see the front page of

http://www.unitedstatesrallychampionship.com

Ivan Orisek

Old Colt

One thing that would be of great help for the competitors is having a clue as to the mode of transport and where it departs from. If we need to haul our rig 40 hour round trip to drop off the car and then again to retrieve it afterwords would be nice to know.

Also what is allowed for support items to be transported?

Ivan Orisek
One thing that would be of great help for the competitors is having a clue as to the mode of transport and where it departs from. If we need to haul our rig 40 hour round trip to drop off the car and then again to retrieve it afterwords would be nice to know.

Also what is allowed for support items to be transported?

In theory, the cars could be picked up but it would be more practical

to bring the cars to one or more loading locations as little as one week

before the event.

The cars would be delivered to the event and picked up at the event the day the event ends.

The same would be true for smaller service vehicles.

We are also looking into the possibility of transporting tires, parts and

tools separately and have them delivered to and picked up at the service

parks. This would mean that no additional service vehicle would be

needed at the destination. Any ideas or preferences?

Ivan Orisek

talon 763

I'm starting to get a little confused. Would I be able to have my truck and car (on trailer) delivered to the other coast. Or is this for just my car only. If it is just delivery of the rally car and I have to still take my service vehicle across country I don't see the advantage. Is there a reason why we can't get a possible cost.

Old Colt

Traveling lightly is no problem for us, but if we need to make two round trips from Boston to Tennessee so we can get the car and some gear out west and then add the flights on top of this it will become prohibitive.

It would be nice to know if there is intention of both a northern and southern pickup point and I am sure the west coast teams will want similar details for there planing.

Ivan Orisek
I'm starting to get a little confused. Would I be able to have my truck and car (on trailer) delivered to the other coast. Or is this for just my car only.

See my previous post for answers.

If it is just delivery of the rally car and I have to still take my service vehicle across country I don't see the advantage.

Is there a reason why we can't get a possible cost.

Yes. The reason is that we do not have the final cost yet to be able to

publish it.

Ivan Orisek

Ivan Orisek
Traveling lightly is no problem for us, but if we need to make two round trips from Boston to Tennessee

Tennessee as a single pickup point for the East Coast is highly unlikely.

so we can get the car and some gear out west and then add the flights on top of this it will become prohibitive.

It would be nice to know if there is intention of both a northern and southern pickup point

Yes, that is the intention on both coasts.

and I am sure the west coast teams will want similar details for there planing.

Ivan Orisek

Old Colt

Good, Presuming a New York pickup point that would make it work for us and I know Emilio wants to get out west to play. So we should be a tenitive for this and will wait for further details.

starion887

I think the overall common service plan is good, but may only work if the service areas do not move much, like at RNY or CT. If the service area moved a lot, this would be a problem if you tried to transport a front-runner and a back-runner in a large field of cars.

Is the theory that we would have rental cars/trucks when we need to get parts, food, etc.; and when we all need to get to and from the motels?

An additional item would be to have some means of rapid post event retrieval of a group car so that the return loading would not be badly delayed.

Will there be secure storage for up to a week after cars are dropped off for the outbound trip or after the return trip?

As for pick-up points, the NYC area is sensible for the NE but would be too far for us. I would suggest Charlotte as a more central SE pickup point, and Hagerstown MD as aonther pickup point in the mid-Atlantic.

Mark B.

Ivan Orisek
I think the overall common service plan is good, but may only work if the service areas do not move much, like at RNY or CT. If the service area moved a lot, this would be a problem if you tried to transport a front-runner and a back-runner in a large field of cars.

Correct.

Is the theory that we would have rental cars/trucks when we need to get parts, food, etc.; and when we all need to get to and from the motels?

Yes, you may need an additional car.

An additional item would be to have some means of rapid post event retrieval of a group car so that the return loading would not be badly delayed.

Rally cars would be picked up at the event immediately after the event ends.

Will there be secure storage for up to a week after cars are dropped off for the outbound trip or after the return trip?

Yes.

As for pick-up points, the NYC area is sensible for the NE but would be too far for us. I would suggest Charlotte as a more central SE pickup point, and Hagerstown MD as aonther pickup point in the mid-Atlantic.

This would depend on the location of participants. Also, on most but not on all trips the rally cars would be picked up at an event.

Mark B.

Mark,

Thank you for your comments. We have the same thinking regarding most of these issues. We continue working on the cross-country transportation plan to finalize it well in advance of the start of the 2006 United States Rally Championship season.

Ivan Orisek

starion887

Ok Ivan.

By the way, you made one comment that puzzles me in regards to pick-up location:

"This would depend on the location of participants. Also, on most but not on all trips the rally cars would be picked up at an event."

How would one service or repair their car after a rally and before the next one if the cars were picked up at the last event? What is meant?

Mark B.

Ivan Orisek
Ok Ivan.

By the way, you made one comment that puzzles me in regards to pick-up location:

"This would depend on the location of participants. Also, on most but not on all trips the rally cars would be picked up at an event."

How would one service or repair their car after a rally and before the next one if the cars were picked up at the last event? What is meant?

Mark B.

Mark,

This is what is meant:

1. The initial pickup can be scheduled considering the location of participants.

2. Going from one event to another on the other coast, you would have to be prepared to service and repair the car at one of the two locations on the other coast. We have paired the events on the coasts to make it possible to make one cross-country trip to attend two events.

Ivan Orisek

starion887

Ah I see, What if we only wanted to particiate in 1 of the 2 events in a pair? Would the car be securely stored during the event in which we did not participate?

Mark B