Looking to buy new wheels for my 4th gen - opinions please.

Glenn

I hear ya Mitch.

Keep in mind that there other readers here even newer than any of the posters here. Maybe they're looking into whether they can afford to race with us. They're checking out all these posts and saying "Well, I need a donor car, and this clutch and those wheels, and that spring rate, and those shocks,..." and on and on.

Which is not true.

California Speedway, March 2005 - I ran STOCK to an 8th place. Seriously, only mod other than safety gear was a new shifter (for that pesky T56 3rd gear). This included full door trim, power windows, turn signals, alarm system, really cool Rockford Fosgate speakers, etc.

The things we've been saying all along (even before any new regions started up) in response to "What do I need..." questions haven't changed. Put saftey gear in, go race, and change stuff after you find what you want from the car, and/or when something breaks.

I personally like not having, say, 15# wheels. This way, I have an excuse for not winning. I'd be really pissed if I put the best of everything we can do on the car, spent $15-20k (including labor), and still got 3-8 finishes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• bsim

• Keith

• Al F.

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more, Brad. You are spot on target ...

... for a competitor who is staring at a complete car, running and wanting to go racing.

But the view is a tiny bit different when you have a car in a cardboard box.

All of sudden one has to source motor mounts because there were none there. One has to source a coil because the stocker was gone. One has to source a nose and hood because the original was bent.

So the "Can I use poly motor mounts" or "Can I use a B/W coil from O'reilly's" or "Can I get these cheap body panels from Coleman" type questions arise.

I wasn't trying to be beligerent, just trying to minimize costs ... OEM mounts from GM are 3x as much as ES mounts, BW coil is 1/2 the cost of a OEM GM replacement and a whole front clip is $250 from Coleman.

So, minimizing costs WAS my goal, just like yours. We just had 2 polar opposite starting points. You had everything there and I had the BIG pieces.

As far as even newer newbs reading this banter, can only help. Seeing the pitfalls, understanding intent and learning from others is what it's all about. If I shut up, sure all you vets would be happy ... there's be dancing in the street. But how would the next guy learn? I can't be the first person to go down this path, can I?

I'm all about martyr-dom ...

BTW ... my first race I came in 9th ...

I appreciate the candor and time spent explaining to me ...

Brad ,

Thanks you said it well!!

Mitch,

I know you are getting it now,and I don't mind your questions,but I will tell you the more you are around CMC the more you will become "protective" of what we are trying to "protect" all the time.

Thanks you guys,

Tony Guaglione

Brad ,

Thanks you said it well!!

Mitch,

I know you are getting it now,and I don't mind your questions,but I will tell you the more you are around CMC the more you will become "protective" of what we are trying to "protect" all the time.

Thanks you guys,

Tony Guaglione

I appreciate that Tony. And I will agree that as time goes on, it does become clearer and clearer the intent of what you guys (we all) are trying to do.

I also appreciate the fact that you understand how it appears to someone just entering this group for the first time. It's tough, real tough to get one's arms around that "intent".

I agree it is very simple, once one understands. The mindset is what tripped me up so badly.

You can't do ANYTHING excpt for ...

instead of

Here are the allowed modifications ...

For me at the time, not spellling it all out left a LOT of leeway and wiggle room

I hope I am making sense. You guys have been immersed in this stuff for so long, sometimes it's hard to see things from virgin perspective.

and Jeff ... it was 9th overall ...