Where would my car fit in?

Supra 248

Of course this won't happen for quite a while, but I've been really curious about it, what class would an '85 Toyota Supra be placed in? It seems an import 6-cylinder sport hatchback doesn't fit in any of the categories for one reason or another, or did I overlook one of 'em?

Chris

Chris-

This all depends on how you prepare the car. Are you talking NASA-TT or racing? Nearly stock or with turboe'd 383 Chevy under the hood? We can find a home for nearly anything, but it depends on what you want to do and how hairy the car preparation is.

-JWL

I would suggest looking into the NASA classes that have more to offer, such as Spec Miata. If you insist on running your Supra, we do have several potential classes for you. However, I believe that you will find more enjoyment and less expense by selling your car or using just for the street and buying / building a car that makes sense financially.

Jerry

not intending to burst you're bubble, but the mid 80's wasn't good to Toyota. Your car is not unlike the datsun/Nissan Z cars of the early to mid 80's. The focus was taken off of performance and put on comfort and style. If you plan to race your supra, you will find yourself quite frustrated after a couple of years of $$$ and effort. I agree with Jerry, keep it as a street car and look at other options for racing. since you're not planning on racing for a while, my suggestion is to go to the track as often as possible, spend time in the paddock talking with racers, ask questions, volunteer to crew, and absorb as much info as you can. We racers are a friendly bunch and most of us like to talk about our cars and our vast racing achievements.

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, it's too late! I've already started modifying the car, the suspension is almost complete now. Springs, struts, sway bars, brakes, lines and even rebuilt and re-geared L/S diff are already done, and the strut bars are on their way.

I understand what you're saying Jerry and bmw22, but no matter what I own, I'm gonna have to spend money to set the car up correctly.

I think the Supra has some great potential, it already has an IRS and rear disc brakes, and as far as power goes, it comes stock with an inline 6 which gives me several options ranging from a mild 175hp setup to an extremely unruly 450hp monster!

In any case, I think the car is great for HPDE, and since I don't have a lot of money invested in it, I won't feel too bad if I wreck it!

Chris

• Members

I think that BMW22 and Jerry mis-understood what you were asking.

They assumed you meant for wheel-to-wheel racing.

This is the HPDE forum guys

To answer your question, in HPDE it's not the car that is classed, but the driver. It goes based on driver's experience. So you would start in HPDE 1 and move up through there.

Your car will do fine. In HPDE I run a '92 Subaru SVX which never even was available in a manual transmission!

-mike