Bone Stock

loudes13

Any thoughts about tweaking or lower the amount of mod points.

I would prefer to run a car very close to stock, with very few mod points. There's no way I can be competitve against similar cars with 10+ more points.

ex someone could have the same car as me, but it's supercharged, in the same class.

thoughts...

• National Staff

Allen, at this time there are no plans to run "stock" TT classes. We have 9 TT classes now (we are running 7 in SoCal this season because of no TTG or TTH cars), and with 25-40 TT participants per event currently, more classes would just mean less competition. Now, your M3 already has a 5pt * added to the base class, so you would only have 9 points to spare compared to someone with the same car. I understand you want to run stock, but most TT cars end up with at least some decent tires and brake pads (+6 points total). Anyway, I have found that the key to winning a TT championship is a combination of four things: 1) driver skill, 2) consistently showing up, 3) having a good car, and 4) having a car that doesn't breakdown. I bet that you would do well in TTD with the E36 M3.

I would prefer to run a car very close to stock, with very few mod points. There's no way I can be competitve against similar cars with 10+ more points. ex someone could have the same car as me, but it's supercharged, in the same class.

I wouldn't be too worried about the scenario you have proposed in your example. Although possible to add a supercharger and stay within the class, that would be the only mod that could be made (at least to an E36) without being bumped up. A more likely scenario would have an air intake system (e.g. K&N cone type filter) in front of the supercharger. or a cat back exhaust. Oops, with either mod we are at 11 points... up one class... might as well add a few more points so as to approach the limits of that class. Let's see, unless willing to be bumped up on class, the competitor with the supercharged E36 could not run any of the following: performance chip (assuming they are even available); air intake system; header; performance or adjustable shocks; performance brake pads; or any number of common mods. Oh yeah, he would have to run on street tires which may be a viable option in the lower classes (F-H, maybe even E), but not likely competitive in the D class.

Like Greg says, you would probably do better with DOT race tires (+5) and a few other simple mods of your choosing (e.g. Air intake; cat back exhaust, performance chip; and performance pads) which total another 5 points.

One of the fun aspects of TT is trying to come up with the best combination of mods to stay within the target class (o.k., except for TTU)... adds an additional challenge to the competition. There are some interesting packages that are doing well in SoCal. For example, Shawn Dolan has taken this year's TTD title with a 35 year old Pontiac; Aaron Swartzbart is second in TTD with a 29 year old Porsche 914 (with a Buick V6 engine; Shawn Meze has run away from the field in TTE with a 25 year old VW Scirroco. See: http://socal.nasa-tt.com/standings.html

When you look at SoCal's standings, be sure to look at the full standings which will underscore the point that Greg made about consistently appearing at the events being essential to a top finish. For example, if you look at the SoCal track records, you will note that Shawn Dolan does not hold the track record for his class at any of the tracks, but he has been on the track for almost every session.

BTW Greg, are there any proposed class or rule changes for the upcoming year? Maybe this should be a new thread.

The M3 is almost sold, next year will be something diff. I love not running race tires, and being so close to stock. No changing tires, no trailering, nothing breaks, almost no maintenence. Here in the midwest we have a lot guys who run bone stock cars like me in MC.

Currently I'd run against Dudek (his old car), which was much better prep'd for TTD. We both fast enough to get 100% from the car, but hoosiers vs azenis is no match.

I don't want more classes, just less points.

Greg is exactly right. A good driver in a car that shows up consistently and doesn’t brake down will finish high in the points.

There’s two ways in putting pressure on your competitors; One is going faster then they are, or showing up to every event.

I don't want more classes, just less points.

The only problem with having less points with the same amount of classes is; You’ll see a bunch or cars in TTU, TTA and TTB. It would really bunch up the cars at the top. Something we had last year before the changes were made to free up room.

• National Staff
BTW Greg, are there any proposed class or rule changes for the upcoming year? Maybe this should be a new thread.

There will be at least one new thread soon regarding rules changes. And, yes, there will be an expansion of the rules to tighten things up a bit. Rules regarding teams, dishonesty, negligence in following the rules, TT licenses, and various other areas will be expanded or introduced. There will be some car re-classifications, classifications of new cars, and possibly additions of modifications that are assessed points and/or changes in the points assessed for certain mods. There will also be a rule regarding eligibility for competing in TT Nationals!! Keep tuned in for updates.