Interest in Mustang Front LCA Spherical Bearings?

Jeff F1548534722

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes or breaking any rules...

Looking to see what kind of interest there is in spherical bearings for Mustang Front Lower Control Arms. Myself and another party would like to setup to make some of these, but there are a number of machined parts so we'd need enough of a demand to make the machining run worthwhile. Plus, there would have to be some initial samples to confirm the press fit, etc. which makes it expensive for just a few sets.

The intent is to make direct replacement, press-in assemblies. The rear bearing would be offset to rotate the arm and move the balljoint forward without increasing track width. The SN95 has a much larger rear bushing than a Fox that would yield ~3/8" wheelbase increase. For a Fox it would be less, but the exact amount is still to be determined. In addition to the rotation, the arm could be shifted forward much like the Delrin pieces, which would yield an additional ~1/4". These would be top-notch parts, machined to precise tolerances, plated, with replaceable teflon-lined balls.

As I read the rules, these would be legal for CMC (and A Sedan)

The advantages:

*The ultimate solution for low deflection and low friction.

*The increase in wheelbase would result in improved caster and weight distribution.

*Unlike Delrin, it isn't critical that the LCA attachment holes be perfectly aligned in one axis. With Delrin, if they aren't in the same axis you can have a big bind problem. MM's installation directions for Delrin actually have you check the holes, and to fix it can mean anything from filing to cutting and welding. Not critical at all with the sphericals.

*No need for regular servicing/greasing. Balls are replaceable if needed.

Down to the bottom line. We think that we can make this work for ~$200/set. A little more than delrin, but worth it in our not-so-humble opinions. Our original desire was to make these for SN95's but we would also consider doing them for Fox's if the demand is there (Same front bushing, rear is different)

At this pont all I'm looking to do is gauge interest, and find out what the demand is for SN95 vs. Fox.

While I'm new to this forum (I race AI in OH/IN), the OH/IN CMC'ers (Matt King, KeithO, Tom Petrosky) can (hopefully!) vouch for me.

Anyway, if you are interested you can post here or PM/email me...