• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boudy1548534717

• Renntag1548534718

• Tony G

• NickS

Update: Several CMC teams in Texas tested 2-way communications this last event with very positive results. The only issue was that the throat mic used to eliminate engine and background noise worked too great. It eliminated engine and background noise, but it also caused voice to sound slurred. Still working on these assesory items. Will be doing more testing this month. Final package should be ready for market in 4 to 6 weeks.

Boudy

Oh, no no no sir Mr. Tony. I would never provide you with receive only communications. Fed Ex will be to your doorstep tomorrow with your special package. 6 radios, 3 crew headsets, 3 eartube mics, 3 throat mics(they work fine for me, depends on the user's voice tone), and 3 chargers.

Crew headsets just arrived on Monday along with the eartube mics. I think you'll like em'.

Boudy

I was one of those guinea pigs this past weekend.

While my voice to crew was crystal clear, his voice to me was muffled so badly I couldn't comprehend. I have a feeling it was user error, not an equipment problem.

I think he had the mic over the center of his throat and not to the side.

The system worked flawlessly, though. The install took 5 minutes and was very clean. From the very back of the track to the pit wall was at least a mile away and the radio never crackled.

I was able to make out "green", "oil on the track" and "last lap". When I asked how much time left, the response was so muffled I couldn't make the answer out. So, short, precise, anticipated words worked better than conversational english.

The setup was very comfortable and went unnoticed.

I am definitely in for a set up once Boudy gets it all finalized. Robert is a great guy to work with and a straight shooter.

Well guys and gals, the question of price has come up several times. However, price point is just a moving target at this time. I am attempting to offer uncompromised communications at an entry level price point. We are testing various prototypes of mics and accessories to determine the best components. I'm using some key advantages to favor the project:

1) Helmet kits and car harnesses average $200 plus. The goal here is to avoid these type systems and use a throat mic and eartube or even a smartly designed harness to keep it affordable without sacrifice to quality.

2) My radios are manufactured for me. Thus eliminating the need for me to purchase 3rd party radios and try to profit from packaging it all up for racing.

3) Earmuff style headsets start at $200 plus. The goal here is to find or engineer a solution around these.

4) All sales will be focused on value while tied to a contingency program to give back to the participants.

This is a need based project. It would be pointless to go head to head with the market place without a clear cut strategic advantage. I believe that the need combined with the points above provide just that advantage to make this project a success.

Now, with all that crap said: I hope to be able to keep the 3 watt driver's setup well under $200 and the 3 watt crew setup between $200 to $300. Sorry, I just can't say exactly where prices will shake out as final components are not yet fully decided on.

Hope this helps,

Boudy

and obviously the ballpark figures are 'per user'.

Just the thought of having 2-3 people with communication to the driver is a whole extra set of eyes and an external brain to process lap count/etc and allow the driver to focus on more critical tasks and goals.

Thanks for all the work put into this project. !

Boudy -

I dont' recall if this has been covered in a different post or not...

Will your setup work with those of us who have moulded earplugs with speakers and the microphones mounted in our helmets with a large NASCAR style plug on the helmet end?

If not, what would it take to do that? I know that several of us (me included) have those setups for our helmets as I will be running some enduros in cars that have that kind of setup in them this year. It woudl be great if those of us in that boat could use your setup in other cars for the times we get together and run enduros in CMC cars...

- Nick

That's a great point, Nick.

I have IMSA style helmet rig for the helmet I use for Texas Driving Experience and use foam ear buds.

It would behoove the series to pick an interface and make it the preferred design. And then figure out a way to adapt ...

how expensive are the foam ear buds?

Could I possibly use them with my Chatterbox set up I have installed in my helmet? I do a fair amount of HPDE instruction and would love to be able to use one helmet setup.

As you all know the noise in a race car is far greater than a muffled street/track car. I dont want to have to buy another helmet this season.

The foam buds are about $80 / pair. For noise reduction, I would recommend trying the moulded earplugs. I have a set and I really really really like them. They do a great job of cutting external noise out and the radio comes over crisp and clear.

brad: if I ran cats and mufflers, my race car would be quieter than my tow vehicle!

Nick: that sounds great. No pun intended. So are the moulded ear plugs completely separate from the ear pieces for the radio? or are these special moulded earplugs intended for radio use?

Some of the guys in my motorcycle club that I track ride with have moulded ear plugs and they love them. They got them at a bike show. The rest of us use the throw away foam jobbies. Either way...I have to have some kind of hearing protection.

Any suggestions where I should look for this stuff?

The moulded earplugs I have have the speakers moulded into them. They basicall yare the foam tip earplugs minus the foam which is cast into a mould of your ear that you send them using a kit they send you.

I have a complete setup from Sampson Racing (www.sampsonracing.com). I originally had the foam tip setup. All I did was buy the moulded earplug kit, make the impressions and sent them off.

I think the process is the same as the ones motorcycle guys use. I'm going to wear them when I ride and just tuck the cord out of the way. If they work better than the resuseable earplugs that I ride with now, I'll look into getting a stereo set made that I can plug into the chatterbox on the motorcycle helmet and listen to the ipod in stereo.

BTW - what kind of bike do you ride? I own an '02 CBR600 F4i, but I've had to give it up to my fiance who likes it better than her bike. I've been 'stuck' riding her '04 GSX-R 750 I've done a few track days on both bikes and had an absolute blast. I'm hoping to be able to fit a Superbike school in towards the end of the year. I'm comfortable on the track but I've never had any formal instruction on the track (either in cars or on bikes) and I'd like to have that oppty with bikes. The learning curve is a bit steeper on bikes and a lot less forgiving than cars are.

- Nick

(I know, I'll most likely end up road racing motorcycles if I'm not careful!)

Nick

Does your ear bud plug into a jack on the side of your helmet? Mine are long enough that I many times get the "tail" caught in the shoulder strap. And on occassion, when pulling the shoulder straps tight, it will tug on the tail and partially pull the buds out of my ear. Very annoying.

However, my strapping in routine is all out of whack having changed to full face helmet (wear eye glasses), added the communications gear and HANS.

I just don't have a rhythm yet ...

The moulded earplugs... have the speakers moulded into them....from Sampson Racing (www.sampsonracing.com). ... buy the moulded earplug kit, make the impressions and sent them off.

Thanks nick. I will look into this. So the word here is that this set up will work with the commo system being discussed here?

BTW - what kind of bike do you ride?

Ducati 916

I instruct at track days here on the east coast. Its fun to help street riders get up to speed and hone their skills.

It is far easier to get started in motorcycle racing that auto road racing. I bailed on my first road race effort for $ reasons and 2 years later found myself racing motorcycles.

... many times get the "tail" caught in the shoulder strap. And on occassion, when pulling the shoulder straps tight, it will tug on the tail and partially pull the buds out of my ear....

Run the car side of the connector inline ontop of your shoulder strap.. Use velcro or something to hold it inplace. Make the lead run far enough down toward the latching point that you have easy access to 'plug in'. This should work whether the connection point is on the helmet or hanging down. If its hanging down and that presents an issue....velcro the connector to your helmet so you can pull it off after you're harnessed in and then connect to the car side.

just my 2 cents.

Come on guys... Let's hear from you who did some testing at Infineon this weekend. I heard Tony gave you the play by play over the air.

Boudy

I just don't have a rhythm yet ...

Sounds like a personal issue.....

FWIW, I was also one of the guinea pigs that Boudy was graciously allowed to test his radio setup.....and I'm sold on having one.

The minor problem I had was a complete reverse of Mitch's - my co-driver couldn't hear me very well, but I could hear him perfectly....operator error on where I had the mic, more than likely.

For our 40min race on Sunday, a driver lost an oil line, creating a nice slick in the braking zone of T3. It happened infront of me, so I knew where the oil was, and my co-driver announced it over the radio. Others weren't so fortunate, either going off track, or getting pretty sideways in that braking zone.

Boudy was excellent to work with, and was very interested in feeback to make his kit work better. Count me in for a driver and crew setup!

We tested with 6 different cars and drivers..all loved them.

Some want the whole setup for two people, but 80% want the listen only as they felt much more informed with what's going on with track conditions.

Boudy,thanks so much for your time and efforts.

Put a package together and lets get going on this!

Thanks,

Tony Guaglione

• Members

I was one of the testers this weekend. I had the radio attached to the main hoop on the driver's side, a push to talk button on the left side of the dash (wire length limited) and the headset that wraps around your neck with the little plastic earbud. Here are my thoughts...

First of all, I thought having Tony update me on track conditions (flags in certain corners, time left, etc) was fabulous. I loved knowing there was a car off in front of 11 when I was going through 7. I also loved the fact that I knew it was gone the next lap before I got there. Both times it affected my exit of 10. I think having listen only is awesome!!

I couldnt put the push to talk on the wheel because of the wiring we had to work with. I thought grabbing the button was distracting so I only used it a few times, mostly to acknowledge having heard Tony. I did test talking around the whole track during a cool down lap and Tony could hear me loud and clear the whole time. My wife commented thats because I'm such a loud moulth, but that's a different issue

The little earbud kept falling out of my ear at first, but once I had the helmet on it was held in place nicely. That said, when I to buy a setup I definitely want to have an earplug in each ear. I am 90% certain I'll want to have the cool custom fitted ones like Nick had, I just dont know how much they cost. I could hear Tony all around the track, but I usually could not make out what other drivers were saying.

Since the radio was behind me I couldn't adjust the volume, so we had to guess in the pits. I think that would be ok after a while as you get used to how far to turn the knob (there are no detents or marks, so you have to guess...though you probably could mark it with a sharpie or something).

Bottom line...I think listen only provides a huge comfort factor as far as knowing what is going on. Assuming you have someone to talk to, being able to send might be nice too. I dont really think hearing other drivers is important at all, but that might be because I couldnt understand them anyway.