Nationals Information and Registration

Tony G

Are we running with AI and AIX in the Nationals????

In the same race group at the same time???

Looking at the Nationals website, it looks like yes to both questions. See the "Event Schedule," that pretty much answers a lot of this. Both groups are in "Group A" running at the same time.

Will they grid us by laps times or start all CMC, AI and AIX cars together.

Checking the "Event Schedule," AI and AIX have a flying start and CMC has a standing start. That would imply that AI and AIX will have separate starts in the same group.

Will we get held up by more powerful AI cars that are slower in the corners???

Anyone know???

Well, in my region (West) we do get held up by AI and AIX occasionally in the turns. I imagine it will depend on the drivers that show up that day, just like any NASA race weekend anywhere.

Checking the "Event Schedule," AI and AIX have a flying start and CMC has a standing start. That would imply that AI and AIX will have separate starts in the same group.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, how is this done?

Thx,

jb

Thx,

jb

The separate starts or finding the event schedule?

Separate starts have separate green flags; there would be some distance between the classes. Usually AI and AIX start ahead of CMC out west. Are you CMC guys in Texas in a separate run group than AI AIX? Just wondering. We always run with AI AIX out west.

The events schedule is here:

http://nasachampionships.com/home.html - scroll down to the bottom.

It's very simple, and we've been doing it all season out here, including at Mid-Ohio. The CMC and FFR cars are gridded at the front of the group and go out on track ahead of the AI/X group. Pace is set by the polesitter, who brings the cars around for a warm-up lap, then stages on the start/finish straight for a flagged standing start.

Meanwhile, the second group has been sent out behind the first group under a pace car. When the pace car has made its way about halfway around the track, the standing group is started. The pace car then pulls off the track at its normal spot and the flying start polesitter brings the gridded field around the rest of the way for a green-flag start.

One result of this procedure is that it's pretty unlikely that a rolling start will be waived off. However, the officials have stressed that they have the right to access a blag-flag for a stop-and-go penalty if you jump the start or otherwise screw up badly.

Thx,

jb

The separate starts or finding the event schedule?

Separate starts have separate green flags; there would be some distance between the classes. Usually AI and AIX start ahead of CMC out west. Are you CMC guys in Texas in a separate run group than AI AIX? Just wondering. We always run with AI AIX out west.

The events schedule is here:

http://nasachampionships.com/home.html - scroll down to the bottom.

Seperate starts.

How is AI/X gonna do a rolling and CMC a standing?

How do the logistics of the warm up lap (of all) lead into these simultaneous starts.

We run together and start together here btw.

Thx JB.

Thx MK, I now see you response (additional page).

jb

Seperate starts.

How is AI/X gonna do a rolling and CMC a standing?

How do the logistics of the warm up lap (of all) lead into these simultaneous starts.

We run together and start together here btw.

Thx JB.

Thx MK, I now see you response (additional page).

jb

No problemo! At the driver's meeting the race director and or group leader usually explains the procedures to follow, AI and AIX will know they have a flying start so they won't stop to wait for their green flag, etc. I think the rest will depend on which group starts first. I am sure they will have a good plan for us at Mid-Ohio!

• 3 weeks later...

As of the latest entry list ( dated 7/6/06 ), it shows 13 CMC cars entered.

5 of those race in the Texas region - 65%!!! Where is everyone?????

Some are waiting until they know for sure or just waiting since the price isn't going up anymore up to the deadline. There are a couple more Cal drivers that are going that haven't registered yet.

Us poor Californian CMC people will wait until the last possible minute.

I just arranged for car transport, and will be registering, oh, somewhere around 8/31.

I just registered today, had to wait until the credit card billing cycle was in just the right spot!, I am sure Robb Brent will not be too far behind in registering - getting pretty close to the 20 Matt King was looking for.

It looks like one racer from Texas might not make it - Micah Bishop rolled his car @ TWS this past weekend, destroying the chassis. No one injured, cage held up well.

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/08_06_TWS%20019.jpg

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/08_06_TWS%20021.jpg

They're already looking for another chassis to swap parts to....I hope he and Jerry are able to make it to Mid-O.

i plan on attending. i should register this week. i wanted to make sure i got thru this past weekend w/ no issues. all seems well.

i know of another TX car comming thats not registered yet also.

Micah,

Glad to hear your Ok,and man that looks like a nasty one.

I've been there before..take a deep breath and everything will be ok.

Tony Guaglione