Autopower Cages....

mcmmotorsports1548534724

Thanks Al, I think I am just going to buy the Autopower kit. That way I know for sure it is legal. Are there any talks about them outlawing that style cage in '07?

Try this site.. https://www.cachassisworks.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit?FORM_SELECT=C?CAT_LVL=0?CAT=CHASISWORK Chris Alston's Chassis Works... I have one of his weld in kits and it's all quality... the PO of my car ordered the kit from him so I don't know how the ordering process/shipping works, it came with the mounting plates included, after trial fitting the main hoop and forward tubes they will need to be trimmed a bit to fit, but it will be a nice snug against the roof line and pillars

Summit anf Jegs sell weld in kits also but I have no knowledge of their stuff

I just got an email back from Chris Alston Chassis Works. They said the largest cage they sell is 1 5/8.

Once again, an example of the need to familiarize yourself with the rules. You can use 1.50x0.120 wall tubing in a car up to 3000 pounds. READ THE CCRs!

• Members

I would not be surprised in the least to see NASA increase the minimum requirements for roll cages in the future. That said, I no of no ongoing discussions or anything that would lead me to believe they actually will, at least not yet.

I would not be surprised in the least to see NASA increase the minimum requirements for roll cages in the future. That said, I no of no ongoing discussions or anything that would lead me to believe they actually will, at least not yet.

Sure, that's a possibility (heck, we might even change the wheel rules in CMC someday ), but there is already a precedent in the CCRs to grandfather cars in this situation, so it's a very safe bet that you will not have any problems building a rollcage to CURRENT standards.

Once again, an example of the need to familiarize yourself with the rules. You can use 1.50x0.120 wall tubing in a car up to 3000 pounds. READ THE CCRs!

Point taken, but who says my car will weigh less than 3,000 lbs.

I sure hope it does, or you're leaving a ton on the table. Plus, if you were reading the rules, you'd know that the weight for rollcage purposes is calculated WITHOUT driver and fuel, and it's going to be pretty tough to miss that mark with a Fox-body Mustang. But you're welcome to try.

And you thought installing a cage was going to be easy. Al is right though ,the only thing missing besides the rear down bars is the diaganal bar from upper corner of main hoop behind drivers head to lower right passenger corner as shown in the auto power drawing. Otherwise that looks like a nice cage. You might want to think about not making the bars on the drivers side door so high and it will be easier to get out of the car in a hurry if your tall. It's also easier getting in too.

Pat Stone

I actually planned to not have 3 door bars, only two. And yes, it would have the diagonal brace on the rear hoop as well.

I bought my tubing which ran $400 and paid $300 for the labor to design, bend and install it by a local stock car fabricator, to whom I gave the CCRs. I do know that the more tubing you buy, the cheaper it gets, and some of the stock car fabricators are darn competitive on their pricing. I doubt you can swing a dead cat in NC without hitting a fabrication shop. I would suggest you go with as many door bars as you can. I've seen a bumper go between 2 bars at lower speeds than our cars can hit, and it wasn't pretty.

I am going to go with the Roll Cage builder in VA. who will get me the cage for $499. I will do the welding in house. It will be built to NASA rules with the addition of 3 door bars on the left and 2 on the right.

S&W race cars outside Philly has a good kit using DOM. you can get all the tubing you need plus the main hoop and A-pillar runners pre bent along with as much plate as you need for the bases all shipped to your door. I am only 2 hours away, so I drove up there to pick mine up.

I paid almost 900$ I believe. $499 sounds way too low. Hey if youre getting a great deal, go for it.

NOTE: the picture you posted uses a 'halo' over the driver. That style is usually used in drag race cars I believe. S&Ws normal kits use a 'Halo' and ERW tubing. I payed extra for DOM and "A-pillar" runners that go from the main hoop to the drivers/passengers feet. ( just FWIW)

Best of luck.