Bucket seat question

Mike B

I see all these questions about seats and expiration dates. What if the seat serial tag/lable was removed because the back of it was painted? I bought some Recaro GT3/GT2 seats however the back of the seat does not have the tag? What does this mean exactly?

wNTY0ODQ2czQxM2RmZDMxeTU0MQ%3D%3D.jpg

wMTA2ODczNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

I thought the seat only had a lifespan if you mounted it according to FIA (no seat back brace)..

I thought if you use a seat back brace the seat can be used past "expiration" date.

I thought the seat only had a lifespan if you mounted it according to FIA (no seat back brace)..

I thought if you use a seat back brace the seat can be used past "expiration" date.

ya your right, i didn't think about adding that in there

Just to clear this topic up,

1. no tag not legal

2. expired tag with back brace is legal

3. no tag with back brace legal

did i get this all right?

Just to clear this topic up,

1. no tag not legal

2. expired tag with back brace is legal

3. no tag with back brace legal

did i get this all right?

yep you passed

Where in the rules does it say a racing seat needs a tag???

its says that unless it has FIA certification, it must have a back brace. I don't expect the tech inspector to know each and every seat that is approved. Add to it the fact that the seat has a lifespan, and the only way a tech inspector would know the lifespan for a certian seat would be if the there was a sticker on it.

Actually, personally I didnt see anything about needing a tag. I was just bringing out a potential concern for any of you and including myself for those who dont have tags on your seats. Id rather go into a situation complete, prepared, "done right", than get denied because my car isnt within specification.

• 11 years later...

Resurrecting this thread here.

I have a question about when a seat actually expires if it does not specifically say so. I have two Sparco Pro 2000 seats, both are FIA 8855-1999, one was manufactured March of 2011 and the other was manufactured in March of 2012. Neither state a specific expiration date. I race in GTS2.

The rules state: 15.16.1 Racing Seat

Some series require an approved racing seat. It is strongly recommend that a racing seat be installed in all vehicles. A racing seat is of solid design; not “tube and cloth” designs commonly found in passenger cars. It can be very difficult to properly brace a “tube and cloth” type seat and the vehicle may not pass technical inspection. Additionally, the cloth or material on a “stock” seat is typically not flame retardant. Therefore, the proper installation of a racing seat is strongly recommended.

I read through the most up to date GTS rules and it does not address seats. I've heard mention of a back brace needed if the seats are expired, but again mine don't state expiration.

Thanks for your help.

My understanding is that you have five years from date of manufacture on FIA seats unless you decide to add a back brace.

Is it five years from the month? Or is it five years from the year? i.e. seat manufactured in 3/2012 is good until 3/2017? Or is it good through the end of 2017?

15.6.21 Seat Back Support

A seatback support must be made to hold the seatback from failing in the event of a crash. A plate shall be

used to distribute the load. No bolts, corners, or sharp objects should be placed in such a manner that could

lead to a possible puncture of the driver in a high impact crash. Seat back support need not be attached to the

seat itself. Proper design and installation is crucial to safety and it is recommended that the driver employ the

services of a professional race car builder for this, as well as all other vehicle safety items. An exception may

be made for those seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance with, FIA 8855-1999 or 8862-2009

standards. Those seats that qualify for the aforementioned exception must conform to the entire FIA 8855-1999

or 8862-2009 set of regulations, as applicable. This includes a mandatory seat replacement, or use of a seat

back brace, for any seat more than five (5) years old (8855-1999) or more than ten (10) years old (8862-2009).

Please reference the FIA regulations.

The way I read that is the seat you have is good for 5 years from date of manufacture. So if it was made 3/12 after 3/17 you will need to add a seat back brace or replace it.

If the GTS rules do not have information about the seat you need to check the CCR

Never mind. After some searching on FIA's site, I came across the actual document that specifically states the regulation...

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulation/file/8855-1999_Competition_seat_0.pdf

Section 7. Seat Life

"The usable life of an FIA homologated seat will be 5 years from the year of manufacture. For example, a seat manufactured on 1 January 2014 will be “Not valid after 2019”; likewise, a seat manufactured on 31 December 2014 will be “Not valid after 2019”.

An extension of up to 2 further years may be authorised where the seat has been returned to the manufacturer for re-validation. Extensions will be indicated by an additional label affixed to the seat identifying the date on which the seat eligibility ceases, and validated by the manufacturer's quality inspection stamp."

The CCRs don't specifically state it either. At least not that I'm finding.

I quoted the ccr that states what FIA certification lasts for how long. It stated 5 years or 10 years from the date of mfg depending on the FIA # on the seat.

The CCRs don't specifically state it either. At least not that I'm finding.

I quoted the ccr that states what FIA certification lasts for how long. It stated 5 years or 10 years from the date of mfg depending on the FIA # on the seat.

You're right, I was looking at the racing seat section 15.16.1 as well, but the CCRs still don't specify whether its based off of calendar year or month. So I assume they would refer to the actual FIA regs for that ruling...