Mustang Brake Calipers?

mcmmotorsports1548534724

What Calipers are you running?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Calipers are you running?

• PBR Dual Piston
    • Single Piston

You can get a new set of Mach 1 PBR calipers (same as the Cobras but unmarked) from Diversified Products for $190, which includes the brackets and stock pads, or you can get a complete system with 13-inch rotors and braided steel lines for $350 plus shipping. If you have the ability to get the rotors cut down to 12 inches and modify the brackets, this is the best deal going for a CMC Mustang front brake setup. Otherwise you could buy just the calipers, get the brackets from Baer and a set of Crown Vic rotors for not too much more money. You could then sell the stock brackets and pads and be into it for even less.

Stock bolts are fine.

No grinding involved unless you run ASA JS5 rims, some of us had very little to zero clearnce from the inside of the wheel to the caliper and would scrape under load.

my understanding is that the 94/95 spindle is slightly different than the 96 and up spindle. if one uses the 99+ caliper/bracket on a 94/5 spindle, it doesn't meet up perfectly and edges must be ground down for a good fit.

one other question i have is the difference between 'PBR' calipers and 'Cobra' calipers because i thought that PBR made the Cobra calipers. Are they not the same? And when someone says 'Cobra style caliper', which Cobra? 94 style, or newer, or ???

thanks guys. as you can see this is totally new territory for me but i'm looking forward to being able to stop the car much more effectively than it does at the moment! [obviously, ducts, high temp fluid, & good pads are all on the list as well].

[ps: sorry for the hijack. . . maybe i need to start another thread. please let me know if so.]

The confusion comes from the fact that there are two types of two-piston calipers for Mustangs made by PBR, the 99-up GT calipers, and the 94-04 Cobra/Bullitt/Mach 1 calipers. I don't know much about the newer GT calipers, but they are definitely different and not interchangeable with the Cobra-style. They may in fact be a very good caliper, but the smaller rotor size is a limitation and I don't think they are easily adapted to a 12-inch rotor size like the "Cobra" calipers. Two versions of Cobra caliper were used over the years, the earlier 94-96? version had 38mm pistons, while the 96?-04 version has 40.5mm. This later version is still readily available brand-new from Ford at very reasonable prices.

Hmmm...from the early portion of the discussion I was under the impression the dual piston PBRs(non-Cobra) were the ones to get. I guess I'm glad I backed out on an opportunity to buy a set and will change my focus to looking for a set of the Cobra/Mach 1 dual pistion PBR calipers.

Thanks for the clarification.

at risk of sounding like i actually know what i'm talking about, i'll interject what i've heard from one of the top CMC mid atlantic mustang drivers. he stated that "If you need to go with calipers I would go with the PBR 2 piston found on the 99+," but he also mentioned that the aluminum calipers can 'spread' from the heat produced under hard braking and to use aggressive pads and ducts and all the rest.

but my point is this: i think it depends on how much you want to spend, how much time you want to spend fixing stuff if it's not as high quality as other cheaper stuff, and whether you want that slight advantage of having bigger/'better' brakes. the jury is still out for me, but i can get the 99+ non-Cobra PBR calipers and brackets from a 'recycler' i found online [i'm sure there are others] for about $79.

Thanks all for the help!

I've heard plenty of F-body folks remark about aluminum caliper spread in contrast to the lack of spread on the cast iron calipers.

Can you clarify what combination of parts you are using?

Is it the "regular" (non-Cobra/Mach 1/Bullitt) '99+ PBR dual piston calipers with the "regular" '94-'04 (10.865" a.k.a. 11") rotors? Which SN95 spindles are you using...'94-'95, '96-'98, '99+?

I've heard plenty of F-body folks remark about aluminum caliper spread in contrast to the lack of spread on the cast iron calipers.

Can you clarify what combination of parts you are using?

Is it the "regular" (non-Cobra/Mach 1/Bullitt) '99+ PBR dual piston calipers with the "regular" '94-'04 (10.865" a.k.a. 11") rotors? Which SN95 spindles are you using...'94-'95, '96-'98, '99+?

. . . hey there. not sure if your question is directed at me. if so, i'm the wrong one to ask! my car is almost 100% stock still. 94 gt with the 5.0. i am renting a big storage space and working on the car until next season to get it reliable and begin turning it into a race car. the jury's out on which brakes i'll choose. i'd rather 'do it right the first time' than to have to constantly mess with them [as much as possible], with that in mind i may avoid the aluminum caliper brackets. anything's better than my malfunctioning stock caliper that's currently on the car!

• 1 month later...
You can get a new set of Mach 1 PBR calipers (same as the Cobras but unmarked) from Diversified Products for $190...

Diversified Products? I couldn't find anything for them, but I did find a Diversified Marketing Solutions (www.newtakeoff.com) that sells Mustang take-off parts. I contacted them, but they said they have no '99-'04 Mustang parts available. It seems they deal exclusively with the '05-up parts now. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Scott

You can get a new set of Mach 1 PBR calipers (same as the Cobras but unmarked) from Diversified Products for $190...

In the past, I've bought them from ebay for $160 a set, although they're getting more scarce as time goes on.

It seems those deals are gone, but I got a set of Mach 1 brakes from Diversified a month ago for $375 delivered: Brembo rotors, stock pads, new calipers w/brackets and Goodridge braided stainless brake lines. Really tough to beat that.

Mike and Belinda rock at diversified. I don't even bother checking the price against them. they are always the best price with reasonable shipping prices. plus it is at my house the next day with ground shipping

What I do since Diversified started, is get thier price and call Summit. Summit price matches minus $10, which pays for the handling. I prefer Summit's return policy!