Where to buy Racetech side net

GT4Point6

Looking for a Racetech dealer for the Vipernet.

Can't find much on the internet other than calling Racetech on a non toll free number. They aren't carried with Summit or Jegs.

The net I got now got me through the last race but barely passes tech. The lanyards are barely long enough and I had to make my own quick release. After seeing several cars with this net, I want something a little better/safer.

Vipernet.JPG

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• Glenn

• GT4Point6

• bsim

Looks like they only deal direct to fabricators. They do have an extensive list of the teams that run their gear on the front page, and many I recognize from NASA events. You may have to end up asking one of them.

Might I ask which net proved insufficient for your car? I got the Simpson net, and the lanyards were close to not being long enough. It did have it's own quick-release, though. The Simpson also has an adjustable vertical buckle for the vertical size of the main net triangle.

Doug

It was the G-Force Sprint Car net. I had to move it to make it wrap around the seat and anchor to the main hoop pillar. Just having it run from the dash to the cage wasn't good enough for tech. The straps are barely long enough to wrap it around the seat and it's not very tall height wise.

The rule is written poorly to say the least and that lead to me buying a net that barely meets tech. The rule only says you have to have one, not that it has to wrap around the seat and anchor on the main hoop pillar but that is what we were held to. Also, you can run a bolt-on side bolster instead of the net but if you look at the video on the Racetech site, the bolster just folds over like butter in a side impact. Again the rule allows either which makes no sense since the later won't do much for protection unless it's the type that is part of the seat, like the Racetech seats.

Rant over.

On my Simpson net, only the top strap was long enough to wrap all the way around the seat over to the main hoop. The bottom one was attached to the descending hoop behind the seat instead, which touched the seat as it went by, but didn't really "wrap". Guess I'll just have to have it inspected.

There's no way I'm going with one of those bolt-on jobs, I saw that video. If I ever end up getting a new seat, I'll probably get a builtin bolster as well as keep the net.

I bought this one

http://www.bsrproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=1857

SAF.DN.100.jpg

It is VERY similar to the one posted above except that it has the third strap at the back instead of two. oh, it says safety-solutions instead of racetech. even the quick release and red lanyard is the same.

Edit: here is a pic of what mine looks like

63.jpg

http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item.pl?action=ShowItem&id=63

edit again: ok your pic is the viper net w/ only two straps. mine is the C5R version with three, it also looks wider (taller).

This is the safety solutions net in my Camaro. This was the initial install. I have moved the top strap to the outside of main hoop, so it wraps all the way around the seat. Like wise the second strap has been relocated so it wraps around the back of the seat.

I bought my CR5 net directly from Safety Solutions for $95 plus shipping. I had it in two days and it took about 15 minutes to install. But if your roll cage doesn't have a dash bar at the right height with easy access through the dashboard, it will probably take quite a bit more work to get any restraint net installed properly.

I forgot to mention Alan Blaine has been hired by NASA to make sure all of you get the proper nets and install them correctly. I'd call him to make sure your net will work properly and for install tips.

Hey Kevin,

I called Wine Country Racing at Infineon on race weekend and they were the only ones who had that side net in stock. I bought the one with two straps just like in your picture. I just put it in to be legal at Infineon but we went back ant got it to fit nice and tight against the side of the seat where it will do some good. I found the straps to be plenty long. Call me if you have any questions.

PS

I forgot to mention Alan Blaine has been hired by NASA to make sure all of you get the proper nets and install them correctly. I'd call him to make sure your net will work properly and for install tips.

Sorry, but who is Alan Blaine, where does he work/live, and what does it mean that he "has been hired by NASA"?

thanks,

chris

Ah, who is Alan Blaine? He is a fixture with f-body racers out west, now nationwide, as a master fabricator and works out of his shop, Blaine Fabrication in Santa Cruz, California. He is also an SCCA ITE Champion when he raced a few years back with his 4th gen Camaro and is the head coach/safety tech of the Northern California Racing Club http://www.ncracing.org and the affiliated American Racing Club. NASA is familiar with his exceptional knowledge of race car safety and hired him to be available for folks to consult about the new rh safety nets they are now required to have in order to keep racing with NASA.

He has built some very competitive and safe race cars, including mine, go to

http://www.frrax.com the F-body Road Race and Autox Forums to see examples of of his work, just do a search on Blainefab. Here's an AI 4th gen project he is doing now:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=10265&hl=

My car:

http://www.geckoranch.com/cars/gekko_racing94TA.html

He has also worked on other marques.

i want to correct Julie here. a right side restraint is required, not specifically a net. it can be a seat or net.

Net or seat, check! Thanks! I could see how someone not familiar with the new rule could be confused by my comment.

I bought "7's Only" first net kit and I must say it is GREAT! They even installed it (free) and everything about it is first class. They have their own bar mounted to the cage, which makes the net fit straight.

I bought this one

http://www.bsrproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=16&products_id=1857

SAF.DN.100.jpg

It is VERY similar to the one posted above except that it has the third strap at the back instead of two. oh, it says safety-solutions instead of racetech. even the quick release and red lanyard is the same.

Edit: here is a pic of what mine looks like

63.jpg

http://www.lfttech.com/cgi-bin/Item.pl?action=ShowItem&id=63

edit again: ok your pic is the viper net w/ only two straps. mine is the C5R version with three, it also looks wider (taller).

I went with BSR since they had it in stock and it was only $75, has three straps and a ratchet belt to set tension. Now on that site, they are $105, didn't take long for them to go up in price. VERY NICE and easy to install. Much better than the cheap-o I had and I'm sure will do a much better job, if ever needed.

Roger and I were a Thunderhill last weekend doing time trials, and Larry M. (NASA chief Tech) that we might want to get a net instead of bolt on side restraint a.k.a. possible rule change for next year! So if you have'nt bought one buy the net and save yourself $$$. Don't know if this will be true, but maybe Tony can find out for sure to save new car builders some$$$.

Roger and I were a Thunderhill last weekend doing time trials, and Larry M. (NASA chief Tech) that we might want to get a net instead of bolt on side restraint a.k.a. possible rule change for next year! So if you have'nt bought one buy the net and save yourself $$$. Don't know if this will be true, but maybe Tony can find out for sure to save new car builders some$$$.

Well that would freakin' suck for those of us who followed the rules and did what we were supposed to do early in the game.

Lesson learned ... wait till the last minute, beg for leniency and let the powers that be get there collective bag'o tricks together before purchasing ANYTHING.

I ordered that one above from BSR to add to the new seat I have.

It won't be fun installing it.

I noticed on all the nascar in-cars this last weekend that none had the right side net. Just the high end seats (Butler, LaJoie etc).

I wish I had 3K minimum for one of those.

jb

seat.jpg

The problem that has been found so far is that some of the side seat extensions on some seats suck so bad you can bend them with your hand,however the good ones like above are legal and will be.

Best thing to do is to make sure your side protection net or seat side mount extension won't break down in a real life situation.

The rule is not to just stick a net in, its more of a side protection deflection ( see the video I posted).

So in tech you will be inspected to make sure its in working order,and if we can bend your aluminum side plate then you failed the test.

Also make sure your net is in its proper place,not a foot away from your head.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Director

Hope this helps a bit.

Tony Guaglione

CMC National Director

What would have helped is a rule written that clearly states the intent instead of being so ambiguous.

Look up the word "bolster" which is the wording used in the rule. It's defined as "support" which is a LOT different than "restraint".

Now, a bolster, even though it is specifically written in the rule, will not meet the intent is what I'm understanding. Correct?

Again, lesson learned. Wait till the 11th hour for compliance to allow "intent" to finally bubble to the surface.

so whats the status of those who have this bolt on part that can be bent by hand? here i am preping for Nationals and i get blindsided w/ this! now i gotta find a net and get it on order and hope it comes in in time, or am i gonna be ok till the end of the year?