CMC-2

supermac

build it, they will come.

Good deal. I'm trying to get a local buddy involved, who recently bought a slightly-crunched 1993 Mustang Cobra with a sketchy title situation. It's financially impractical to restore it to "mint" condition, and if he can't get a clear title, then I'm trying to convince him to gut it and come racing.

Mark

Glenn is a great guy--just ask him. And that was one of the few posts of his I've ever agreed with 100 percent.

...... That's why I'm heading in the CMC direction, even if it means I'd be the only retard in the whole state of Florida with a CMC car! Mark

If I don't make it to Sebring in '08, maybe '09.

jb

Glenn is a great guy--just ask him. And that was one of the few posts of his I've ever agreed with 100 percent.

next thing you know Matt, you will tell people how cool you think i am.

just wait.

hell, i talk about you all the time.

Welcome Mark. Everyone is right, build one, the rest will follow.

I believe the Florida region is still quite young, the last I looked they were running classes based on enduro rules. For example, a CMC car would run in E1 I think.

Build the car as if it's for CMC, and let the rest of the racing take care of itself. A good CMC car will also fall into PTC if they're running that yet. Just be ready to be fighting CRXs and Neons.

Keep building up in Florida, and I just might move back!

build it, they will come.

Just dont wreck it in HPDE 1.

kyle

Hmmmm...funny you should mention that...I wasn't comfortable in that SVO, anyway.

Mark

I probably shouldn't have changed rear tires from the 2nd session to the 3rd. It did fine in the 2nd, but I noticed that it would get a little squirrelly in the rear on the brakes in the 3rd. I suspected that it had a little too much rear brake bias, and I had no way to adjust it, so I tried to take it easy on decel. From a few ride-alongs that I went on (after the tire wall incident), I noticed that I was still turning a hair when I got on the brakes, and combining that with the rear brake bias, made for a bad situation. Spun 90*, and the RF got the tires. Turn 10 is the one that eats cars for lunch, and rumor had it that a Lotus did the same thing in the morning. The corner worker started rattling off all the cars that he's seen pancake into turn 10 in the last few months, so at least I'm not the guy in the new Ferrari 430.

Mark

That was in HPDE1 ????

How is that possible

Tony Guaglione

Unfortunately, I didn't "build" that car...a couple of AI regulars did, then I took delivery of it. I put a little too much trust into the setup, I guess. I did a bunch of parts on it (new aluminum driveshaft, driveshaft loop, sealed battery box, Nomex shifter boot, swaybar bushings, engine and trans mounts, etc.) in the interest of making it a little more safe and reliable.

Mark

That was in HPDE1 ????

How is that possible

Tony Guaglione

Unfortunately, I didn't "build" that car...a couple of AI regulars did, then I took delivery of it. I put a little too much trust into the setup, I guess. I did a bunch of parts on it (new aluminum driveshaft, driveshaft loop, sealed battery box, Nomex shifter boot, swaybar bushings, engine and trans mounts, etc.) in the interest of making it a little more safe and reliable.

Mark

Really... What AI guys built the car. According to you it was your brothers car and you had not even paid for it. Is your brother a AI racer?

"I look at it this way...it was a $600 car, and I still haven't paid my brother for it yet! I got to run the hell out of the car for several laps at a pretty nice facility, basically totalled it, and everybody walked away to laugh about it and drive another day. It was still a pretty damn good weekend."

When exactly did you change "tires" on the car. In that other thread you only fixed the hatch with some paper towls.

"

In the first session, I only got 2 laps in before my instructor decided he didn't like the rattle in the rear end in one of the corners. He was convinced that the tires were hitting the fender lips, so I pulled it in and hammered on the fenders. As it turned out, the hatch was latched but wasn't snug, so I jammed a bunch of paper towels under the corners of the hatch and slammed it. Problem solved."

Lets see now. You blame the car, then you blame the track, then you blame the guys who built the car and then blame the instructor.

"Based on my instructor's positive comments at the end of the weekend (and the ratings in my HPDE passport), I'm not too concerned about needing a ton of seat time, although I'm not going to run right out and jump into AIX next weekend. Even without reviewing the incident with him, I remember exactly what I did wrong and where I did it, so I'm a few steps ahead of the game anyway. One of the other instructors put a good chunk of the blame on my instructor (I'm not sure if I completely agree with this, but whatever), saying that it was my instructor's job to keep me out of trouble. My instructor and I figured that it was a 50/50 deal."

yeah right.

kyle

My brother has raced his FFR-spec racer Cobra for the past 2 seasons. He ran it at nationals last September, and is currently running at the Thunderhill 25 right now. And no, I didn't pay for it. He wanted me to get into NASA racing, so he "contributed" this car. All I really owe him for are the gauges and the Kirkey seat, which he wanted $600 for, but since I might run different parts in the next car, I can just box them up and give them back.

The other builder is his AI-regular buddy who has also been racing for about 2 seasons.

This wasn't my first time trying to go around a corner. I used to autocross pretty heavily a few years ago, then just got out of it. I ran in the GM Rev-It-Up event in Orlando last July, where I finished 12th out of 1166 drivers in the Cobalt round, but down the order in the final Vette round due to cone penalties. Yes, I know that autocross is different than open tracking, and I'm sure that people like you look down on cone racers, but it's not like I came into this completely blind.

In the 1st session, I was running 1999 Cobra wheels (17x8). The instructor was convinced that the rear end noise was the sidewalls hitting the fender lips (as it turned out, this was not the case), so I went back to the pits, hammered the fender lips up, then switched to stock 1986 SVO wheels (16x7 with same backspacing as the 17x8s, so the overall width was 1" narrower on each side, so there's no chance of sidewalls hitting fenders). I found the loose hatch after the tire swap, and fixed that rattle, but left the tires on "just in case." No problems during the 2nd session, and the instructor was happy overall with my progress. I went back to the 17x8s after the 2nd session.

I'm not blaming the instructor...hence my "whatever" statement (which you pirated from my posts on another website...you REALLY have nothing to do today). Other instructors did. I still don't quite get that.

There's all of my backup. Are you satisfied now? At this point, you should probably mind your own business and shut your piehole. 9 posts since July, and 3 of them today in this thread. Get real.

Mark

Edited by Guest

Its called OSB

"Other sports beckon"

As in maybe another sport might work better for you.

No I wont shut my pie hole. Not when it comes to some dude BRAGGING, LAUGHING basicly thinking they are pretty darn cool for wrecking a car in HPDE 1.

This is the kind of stuff that gets people killed and others property damaged. Not cool at all.

Its called trust. something that we have for each other when entering a corner 3 cars wide at triple digit speeds several inchs from each other. Your attitude about this whole deal and your thinking that you dont need any more track time tells every one that you are not to be trusted on track.

There are alot of AI drviers that check this forum. I'm sure that they will be plenty amused about the fact that you just threw them under the bus by blaming your lack of experience and poor attitude on the incident at hand.

Good luck with your racing aspirations.

kyle

Kyle, I love your elitist attitude. So, should we all assume that you have never screwed up at the beginning while trying something relatively new, or that you never had a rough start? Probably not, since you're the only perfect human here. Right? Riiiiight. Remember what I said in the other thread about nobody being above making a mistake. Be sure to continue keeping yourself squeaky-clean.

At what point did I say that I don't need any more track time? Dunce. I'm not planning to go W2W anywhere until 2009 at the earliest, and that's only if I can hit all of the Florida HPDE events in 2008 and earn my competition license. I'm sure you can dig something up from the SVO board in your spare time and take it out of context. When did I say it was cool, or that I was bragging? I said that if I was alone in the car, and knowing full well that no other cars were around (which was the case...nobody ahead, and nobody in the mirrors...I checked at the start of and halfway down the backstretch, in case a point-by was needed), I probably would have been laughing about it. The part that bothered me more than anything, and still bothers me, was the fact that I had an instructor in the car.

Again, you were NOT there, you have probably never made a lap at Homestead, and you do NOT know what kind of person I am. Therefore, keep your piehole shut. I guess it's easy for somebody like you to run your mouth, though.

You're just another keyboard toughguy, and a weak one at that. I'm all done with you.

Mark

Lemme tell a story ...

In early 2004 I attended a NASA event at MSR-Cresson as a recon mission, deciding on if I wanted to race with this bunch of ya-hoos.

An experienced driver, made significant contact and caused some real mayhem, resulting in multiple cars limping away damaged.

I later found out, this wasn't the first time this kind of incident happened.

A review baord of peers was convened and the decision coming from that incident review was to suspend the driver for the year.

That kind of reign over those who take infraction lightly was one of the reason I decided NASA was the series to race in.

Moral: Sometimes the jury really is made up of peers and if they are pissed, severe punishment is very possible.

Lemme tell another story ...

I was running a local HPDE event in my old street car and just having my way with a pair of turbo 300ZXs.

I went home and began talking trash about these 2 guys on my local interent forum.

One of these 2 ZX owners had a friend who frequented that board and sent those 2 guys links to my comments.

My subsequent "dressing down" was quite the reason for embarrassment and distrust amongst my peer group. It took a long time for folks to give me early point-bys, easy passes and bench race between sessions.

Moral: The internet AND this community is suprisingly small.

Moral of the morals: Be careful about what you say and do because you just really never know who is watching.

135093128_19ac2b4f50.jpg

I think this post has veered a bit too far off topic and its time to close it off.

It has reached its expiration date.

Its shuffled off this mortal coil.

It has ceased to be.

Its pushing up the daisies.

It is no more.

-- Nick