Where we're heading

Al F.

• Members

Keith, other than a slightly smaller restrictor, you dont need to change a thing. I weighed in at 3330 at our last event and got two poles and two non-invert race wins. Just drive the hell out of it!

Alright guys, just remember the original post: our long term goal is to merge the two classes into one, but we're not in a hurry to do it. As a matter of fact, you, the drivers, are driving. When CMC entries are the minority then we'll start changing. Until then, its just something to know is coming down the road. A road map, to coin a phrase a friend of mine used.

The only exception is times where our hands are forced, like what almost happened for '08 with tires. Outside of that we're talking years, not months, and the number of years might be a lot...it'll all depend on what you guys choose, and what the new guys that come in choose.

Last, when changes do come, absolutely the goals will be high reliability, low cost, low "stress".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt1548534716

• Tony G

• Sidney

• Al F.

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my 'newbie' .02... (again I'll be racing with you guys full time next year no matter what you decide)... But to share some of the original reasons I think you have a competitive edge:

1st I can't agree that 'times' are forcing the change... 3rd Gens are 20+ years old... and Fox's 25+... so... it isn't like they were any newer 2 years ago.

The class was alive and well before CMC2... (IMO)...

The challenge has been the blur between CMC2... and CMC... allowing the mix platforms...

That ends up pulling from each group.. and netting you less partici.

LT1 Cars... prolly shouldn't even be allowed in CMC2... it's too easy to choose one or the other... Same goes for SOHC Mustangs (IMO).

Make CMC-2 clearly different engines or platforms:

98+ 4th Gens (LS1 Cars)

and DOHC Mustangs and 3V New Body style...

Also... use the Mustang RWHP to help set the CMC2 numbers... to keep the LS1 cars in line.

My .02

Dave

I'm thinking if power levels in the 5 liter cars get bumped up to try to make it a single CMC class again, I wonder what happens to trannies. Didn't A Sedan start with all T5s, but then as power level grew, they needed to allow other trannies that could survive the power? I like the idea of the 5 liters staying in a class, and the larger engines being a class although it would be a shame to potentially diminish the car counts in any given class.

For the record, I like the idea of the AI 1,2,3 progression, no matter how the final rule set ends up.

As far as 17" tires, I'm not 100% clear on the details other than it seems to be the discussion of Toyo moving away from the RA1. Has anyone from NASA talked about the need for a wide 16 to Toyo? I'm sure Toyo knows exactly how many tires they sell each year, but if Toyo had commitment from an org like NASA that the 16" size was the spec for X number of years, would that make enough of a business case for Toyo to support the 16" size?

Jeff

When the CMC-2 was first announced, I had just built my CMC car and I was furious, because I thought I had just built an already outdated platform.

With the look ahead, I can fairly easily move to CMC-2 so I am not as dismayed as some with Fox's may be feeling.

But with the way this is headed....it look as if the Fox's are going to die off.

I also am not to thrilled to hear about allowing 17's in CMC...maybe CMC-2/AI lite as I have heard it called, but CMC should stay 16's. IMHO

I really don't know what to do. I have a Fox and have decided I want another race car since my son will be racing with me next year. We were going to share time next year but I would like to purchase another car. What to do.........? One of the cars I want is another Fox. It's the nicest car I've looked at but after reading here it may be obsolete soon. I'm also considering a SN-95 but then there is the always present deal about if the Mustang is inferior to the Camaro. I don't want to spend top dollar on a Fox to see it go away in a few years or on a late model Mustang and have it not be competitive. Looks like there is really only one safe way to go right now if you are considering a new car.

JJ

As far as 17" tires, I'm not 100% clear on the details other than it seems to be the discussion of Toyo moving away from the RA1. Has anyone from NASA talked about the need for a wide 16 to Toyo? I'm sure Toyo knows exactly how many tires they sell each year, but if Toyo had commitment from an org like NASA that the 16" size was the spec for X number of years, would that make enough of a business case for Toyo to support the 16" size?

Not only NASA, but your CMC directors have been in contact with Toyo tires. Here is Toyo's response to the question if CMC sizes would be available with the new R888 tire.

Regarding the R888, we will have it in the 255/50R16 size as well as the 255/40R17. But for official information on when and how the change will take place, please contact Ryan Flaherty. But I can assure you that the change will not take place until the sizes are availalbe and it will not happen in the middle of a season.

Mike

TKO's are now legal.

I'd rather have an alloy T5 from Tony @ APW though.

jb

JB, I've got a T5 with the alloy 3rd and cluster sitting around. Doesn't have the good 5th gear yet though.

I'm getting delusional about a close-ratio Super T10, so if the right offer comes around...

JB, I've got a T5 with the alloy 3rd and cluster sitting around. Doesn't have the good 5th gear yet though.

...... so if the right offer comes around...

TJB,

If the cluster is one of his alloys with the bigger teeth (cluster is one solid piece), doesn't ALL mating gears have to be as well?

thx,

jb

Trivia about the T5: it was originally designed as a four-speed, which is why gears 1-4 are inside the main case case. The overdrive 5th gears were added later and were splined onto the end of the cluster gear and mainshaft outside the main case under the tailshaft housing. So you can upgrade the main gears as a set without changing 5th gear.

JB, you're right. I just pulled the invoices from Astro that I was given when I bought the trans. It looks like it was a stock rebuild to repair a 3rd gear blow up.

Well, now I'm really glad I thought it was a smokin' deal, now it's just a good deal. Shame on him for lying, shame on me for not checking.