September 16th & 17th Firebird Raceway Main

October 14th & 15th Phoenix International Raceway

November 11th & 12th Firebird Raceway Main

December 9th & 10th Phoenix International Raceway

Howie

Nothing for Jan, Feb or Mar??? WTF??

kinkyllama
Nothing for Jan, Feb or Mar??? WTF??

Yeah... wow. Kinda sucks that there are so many gaps and then so many things crammed togather. At least there in the cool months though

bpanther

Ok guys...

June/July/August are out for you for obvious reasons. We've tossed around a few ideas here in the new RM region as far as dates for the new Miller track in SLC http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/ .

According to the weather charts, SLC avergage temp is 70-90 during the summer months. If we held a date there during this time, how many commitments could we get from the AZ folks?

On paper (err mapquest), it's about 700 miles. Anybody ever done this trip? How painful of a tow would it be?

944-Spec#94
SLC avergage temp is 70-90 during the summer months.

70 to 90 we that might be a little COLD for us Az guys in the summer time.

Seriously... Those temps are fine.

However 700 miles (one way right) is a long trip.

Plus much of that is not on the freeway.

I did a drive to Denver last fall from Phoenix in our tow vehicle. My wife had craft show in Denver and we used the truck to haul the stuff up and back. I forget the miles, but we did drive back home in 1 very long day. Left Downtown Dever at like 5:30 am. I think we arrived back home at about 6:30pm. Home for us on the far north end of Phoenix. It would have been alot longer with car in tow.

That was doing about 75 to 80 the entire way with stops only for gas. We took I think I-25 south to Santa Fe then to I-40. Then south on I-17 back home.

Now the trip to Salt Lake is 714 miles per yahoo maps and approximates 11hrs driving. Seems like that is the outter limit of how far most folks would tow. I know if it takes more than 1 day's tow out to a race then it gets less attractive.

I think if the event were in late july or early august you would have the best chance for large crowds. Reason is there is NOTHING going on locally at that time, it is damn hot and it has been a long time since the last race.

Just as side note there is another racing org that has been holding a large race the weekend of labor day in the Az North Country. It is maybe a 4 hr tow to get there from Phoenix and is held on a airport runway. Point here is folks will travel in the summer to even tracks that not great, but make it too late in the summer and it would compete with this event. Due to the much shorter distacne many folks would pick this over a trip to SLC. That is why I suggested the late July early August date.

Looking at the track layouts clearly miller is superior track. Shall we pick the either of 2.2 miles "short" courses. The 3.0 mile "Pro course" or the 4.5 long course... decisions decisions!

Greg G.

You guys are going to come up to Fontana in March, right? (325 miles from Phoenix).

This is going to be a SoCal/NorCal TT Crossover event. We would be happy to invite the Arizona TT'ers to join us. That will give you guys an extra TT event to help get you qualified for Nationals since you only have 3 weekends of events before Nationals in September.

Also, I'm thinking about heading over to AZ in December to visit you guys.

944-Spec#94
You guys are going to come up to Fontana in March, right? (325 miles from Phoenix).

Also, I'm thinking about heading over to AZ in December to visit you guys.

Well I went to Cal Speedway last march. It was blast. Test day was nice to get familar with interesting track. For those Az folks that have not been think AMP for the infield and Daytona on the banking. Drafting a honda 6" off his bumper at 132 mph then late braking into 50 mph corner Pretty cool.

Relativly easy tow too... Hop on I-10 going west.... Get off where you see all Semi's for sale.

We just may try to drag a bunch of DE/TT/Racers for that one.

Which December event are you thinking of to Dec 3,4 or Dec 17, 18th?

Greg G.

Joe,

I am considering going to PIR on Dec 17,18th. We just finished our season yesterday at Buttonwillow. In the last turn of the last lap of the last event of the season, I snapped the input shaft on the tranny and coasted into the garage. So, I need to replace the tranny and also the front wheel bearings before the car is going to be ready, but I should have enough time. I'm trying to get some of the SoCal TT drivers to head over also. I know of at least one that is definitely going, and some others are starting to consider it.

944-Spec#94
Joe,

I am considering going to PIR on Dec 17,18th. We just finished our season yesterday at Buttonwillow. In the last turn of the last lap of the last event of the season, I snapped the input shaft on the tranny and coasted into the garage. So, I need to replace the tranny and also the front wheel bearings before the car is going to be ready, but I should have enough time. I'm trying to get some of the SoCal TT drivers to head over also. I know of at least one that is definitely going, and some others are starting to consider it.

Sounds great (not the tranny of course), but the trip to PIR.

Weather should be great. Time of year lows get into the upper 40's at the track early in the AM (right at set-up time). Them warm to 60's or 70's come mid afternoon. One little tip is the garages get COLD that time of year. The other note is that at 8am the track is colder than snot yet the cars will make great HP! as you know cold track + cold air (hp) = great chance to loop it!