17" wheel in CMC future

snakebit

I too have been looking at going CMC2 in SE. In fact, I will be racing both SE and MA. In fact, I'm about done acquiring the necessities for changing my car over from CMC to CMC2. I'm glad to see others looking that direction. I was figuring I may have to race either by myself in CMC2, race TT, or race underpowered in AI. Maybe we can get more folks involved in getting CMC2 going in SE.

Gentleman,

Thanks for all of your responses. I was hoping to build for CMC and not CMC2. NASA SE only has a handful of CMC cars (5 registered for Road Atlanta in 2 weeks) and no CMC2 that I've seen. Hey, I guess I could win every weekend in CMC2!

I guess I'll get the car dynoed asap and see where I stand.

Thanks again,

John

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• Varkwso1548534736

• KiMifan

• TurboShortBus

I too have been looking at going CMC2 in SE. In fact, I will be racing both SE and MA. In fact, I'm about done acquiring the necessities for changing my car over from CMC to CMC2. I'm glad to see others looking that direction. I was figuring I may have to race either by myself in CMC2, race TT, or race underpowered in AI. Maybe we can get more folks involved in getting CMC2 going in SE.

Gentleman,

Thanks for all of your responses. I was hoping to build for CMC and not CMC2. NASA SE only has a handful of CMC cars (5 registered for Road Atlanta in 2 weeks) and no CMC2 that I've seen. Hey, I guess I could win every weekend in CMC2!

I guess I'll get the car dynoed asap and see where I stand.

Thanks again,

John

Come on out with NASA-SE in CMC (or CMC2) we could use the competition numbers

as for seeing me in the paddock, whats that gonna fix?

It will determine if you are a keyboard kommando or have some substance...

i guess i just got served ....... yo.

Varkwso -

Keep this s**t up and I can promise you one thing: a very cold reception in the CMC pits.

Now stop it, both of you.

-chris

Varkwso -

Keep this s**t up and I can promise you one thing: a very cold reception in the CMC pits.

Now stop it, both of you.

-chris

Chris is right. Glenn is a good guy and a big guy, but wanting to fight a fellow racer over something posted on the internet is stupid!

JJ

I don't want to meet Glenn on a well lit alley, let alone a dark one.

But that's just me.

Yeah, I witnessed him go Semper-Fi on some guy behind a Hooters once ... and it was in broad daylight!

I with Chris M on this one...We dont need this sort of stuff on this board.

Definitely! Reminds me of some of our guys telling us whey they came out for CMC from circle track racing where they have bouncers. Not our theme!

I with Chris M on this one...We dont need this sort of stuff on this board.

I agree 100% and I will quit picking on Glenn - I am sure he is a fine sensitive fellow in person. I really do look forward to meeting him and more of the TX Posse one day, in person. A few years back they came to Road Atlanta, in mass, and schooled a lot of people here in the SE. Watching the NASA CMC racers on track, and in the paddock, is one reason we came to CMC (that and the running CMC race car - two hours away - cost less then caging our C5 Vette TT car) instead of the other options out there. I am sure there is something in our NASA Regional Series Director Handbook (I am looking for my copy right now) prohibiting us from resorting to fisticuffs over mere words - face to face discussion works much better (and requires fewer stitches) in my experience.

The technical info I have gleaned from this thread, and from the paddock at events, is the 1993 Cobra (not R) engine setup seems to work the best in the early Fox Mustangs for CMC, 17" wheels are OK at regional levels (but not national or TX) in CMC, there is a passion for the rule set currently in place, and no one is real sure what is going to happen after 2010.

• Members

You can get 93 Cobra numbers for a lot less money than a true 93 Cobra 5.0 costs. Texas has two cmc2 5.0s and they are both very fast. We also have a 4.6 sn95 running on 255x17s that won his first race last weekend. Oh, and the guy that's going to win the cmc2 Tx crown has been on 255x16s all year.

Skill is much more important than 15lbft, 15hp, or 20mm of tire.

Yeah, but what happens when you combine the skill with the 15lbft, 15hp, and 20mm of tire?

Yeah, but what happens when you combine the skill with the 15lbft, 15hp, and 20mm of tire?

Take up ballroom dancing?

• Members

Ok, so the formal answer is to submit the rules revision request to the directors during the upcoming rules silly season. It will be discussed and a decision made.

Just remember that for every person that would save money by not having to buy 16s there will be a person that will spend money because they feel the need to buy 17s.

... there will be a person that will spend money because they feel the need to buy X.

Al, can the powers that be decide on an argument and stick with it? A few years ago, this argument worked when people asked why they couldn't fab an aluminum cowl to replace a broken factory plastic piece. "Well, everyone would feel they needed this mod to win". Then along came the 4-pot calipers. "You are stupid if you feel this mod is needed to win" Are we back to "Can't allow it because people will feel they need it to win"?

Are the rules in place to protect people who don't know any better from themselves? Or are they in place to help keep costs down? If somebody isn't winning on 16's I would bet they aren't winning on 17's.

"You gonna get used to readin' them rules afer a while, Luke. Don't you never stop listenin' to them clinking. 'Cause they gonna remind you of what I been saying. For your own good. "

"Wish you'd stop being so good to me, cap'n"

Are the rules in place to protect people who don't know any better from themselves? Or are they in place to help keep costs down?
Both.
If somebody isn't winning on 16's I would bet they aren't winning on 17's.
Right. But that doesn't keep people from buying stuff needlessly.

Look, we could mandate 13" wheels. Or 22's. A rule is a rule. Some people accept the rules, and some people fight and question the rules. Always been that way.

If someone is running 2 seconds back from P1, they think if they had X that they would pick up that 2 seconds. But the guy (or girl) running in P1 will also get X and still be 2 seconds faster.

People need to realize that they need to spend $$ on practice and seat time before they start throwing $$ at a car. There are people running street cars with multi-thousand $ mods -why? They'll never use the potential on the street.

This series isn't about "putting the smack down on my competition". It's about being putting a blanket over 1st through last.

If you wanna run 17s, run CMC2.

Or, if you think 17s should be allowed in CMC, submit the request to the directors with a valid reason.

Valid reasons are NOT:

"I have some in my garage"

"I don't have any 16's"

"They make me (us) faster"

"They're "better""

"They look cooler"

And remember, your car isn't the only model allowed in CMC. It goes all the way back to the 80's when 17s didn't exist.

Now that we know what reasons are NOT valid. Can you let us know what reasons ARE valid?

There is no performance advantage in a 255/17 over a 255/16 right? Is that a valid reason?

Now that we know what reasons are NOT valid. Can you let us know what reasons ARE valid?

There is no performance advantage in a 255/17 over a 255/16 right? Is that a valid reason?

I'm lost. What is it you are wanting?

No 17s? Late model Mustangs are gonna have to spend a crap load of cash to shrink their factory brakes to get a 16" wheel to fit.

No 275s? Sidewall thickness and bulge when using a 255/17 on a factory 17x9" rim was rolling the bead and bending the lips of rims on the pavement. Thats a safety issue.

To just argue? Sorry, that's my territory, bud. Move along, nothing to see here.

Meow! That's a reply and a statement!

I'm lost. What is it you are wanting?

No 17s? Late model Mustangs are gonna have to spend a crap load of cash to shrink their factory brakes to get a 16" wheel to fit.

No 275s? Sidewall thickness and bulge when using a 255/17 on a factory 17x9" rim was rolling the bead and bending the lips of rims on the pavement. Thats a safety issue.

To just argue? Sorry, that's my territory, bud. Move along, nothing to see here.