• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• tacovini

• Al F.

• King Matt1548534716

Congrats guys! That's a hell of an accomplishment to finish, let alone win.

Are you guys running E1 so you can take advantage of the fuel rules?

the track was paved. but it rained like a mofo for two days all the way up to the start of the race. i went off two times on my stint, James went off once, and Mike aint saying anything. the track was just grimy.

E1 is where a CMC car class's. by fuel rules, do you mean:

1) max 10 gallon fill per stop?

2) no single fuel jug larger than 5 gallons?

3) no dump cans, only run of the mill race fuel jugs w/ minor mods?

4) all E1 cars must start the race w/ the same fuel load as OEM if equiped w/ a cell, even if the cell is 25 gallons?

i dont see any advantage in there, do you?

we beat a ESR car that has no max refuel limit.

• Members

Instincts would tell you a CMC car just cannot win in the enduro world when classed against cars that have equivalent or even better lap times AND better fuel economy. But instincts are wrong!

LAW Motorsports has now take two consecutive E1 class enduro victories, and one overall win, using a typical CMC car and CMC legal RA1 tires. The amount of planning, organization, and strategy this takes cannot be overstated. It also takes near flawless execution on the track (easy with the quality of CMC and AI drivers available in Texas!), in the pits, and a couple of really gutsy calls by the Crew Chief.

Congratulations to the full and part time members of the LAW Motorsports Enduro Team (Team Schmoe?) for showing the world how to do it right!

Guys....get involved in some enduro action. Having participated with the LAW boys for those two outings I can tell you enduros are tremendous fun.

Was the track Paved? LOL

I am partially repsonsible for the filthy car. I had a big off, but never lifted to make sure I didn't get stuck in the mud.

I am also partilally responsible for making weight...from all the mud.

Glenn and Mitch build awesome cars and run a great pit with Mitch as Crew Chief. The whole crew did a tremendous job...even that guy Bryan that doesn't bring anything to CMC.

They really put a lot of time and effort into the event and it definitely pays off.

My part was easy... how hard is it to drive a National Championship winning car.

Lots of great stories ...

There were 4 or 5 of us all huddled around trying to decide what our last pit stop was going to look like.

It was about 8:05 and we knew the race wasn't going to last much longer. We kept hearing 8:30 as the end.

But we also knew we were going to be close on making weight if we didn't get some fuel in the car before then. So it came down to a 5 gallon splash and go.

We began making those preps and I communicated our strategy to Mike that we would pit in 2 laps.

Almost immediately, Mike radioed back that the car just fuel starved and he needed fuel NOW!

OK ... let's do it.

As Mike was slowing and about to enter pit road, a crew member yelled at me that next time by was the white flag ... 2 TO GO.

I called Mike and told him ... STAY OUT, STAY OUT, STAY OUT! And he just missed the grass veering back onto the track.

Every decision up to that point was a team effort. But I had no time to explain what had just transpired. I knew we would be in the pits when the race ended. I also knew the split times between us and the 2nd place car was about 40 seconds.

It was gonna be close.

I told Mike that we had just gotten word about 2 to go and that I realized the car was fuel starving and for him to conserve ...

I then explained what happened to the crew and we all agreed it was the best thing to do.

We took the checkered flag with the 2nd place car just 7 seconds behind us on track.

But we had now gone 2 race laps and a cool down lap beyond our fail safe to make weight. I was worried. We knew the rate of consuption of fuel per lap and running the math in my head I knew we had eaten away most of a our fuel pad.

Fortunately, the black gumbo mud that had accumulated in the inner fender wells was the just the ballast we needed.

I had considered taking the time to remove it during a pit stop, but I didn't want a muddy pit box for a crew member to slip in and get hurt. So, I never even brought it up.

Another near miss ...

Like Al said, a CMC car can be competitive in E1 Endurance racing. But it takes extra, Extra, EXTRA effort in planning and strategy to make it possible. The only way to make it happen is to run mistake free.

The team had a couple mistakes that cost us precious seconds. They are well documented and we will plan actions to prevent them from happening the next time.

But let me say ... the team formed worked as a single unit. No one complained or argued. We had great discussions and everyone was open-minded. Egos were left in check.

That's the ONLY way I can see a big ole gas-guzzling V8 be competitive in E1.

Can't wait til next year.

Instincts AND past experience will tell you that a CMC car can't win in E1.

I've run a couple long enduros (6 & 12 hour) and placed 3rd in E1 both times behind the Honda Civics of Taz Harvey & Roger Foo both times. Both times, I felt as though we ran a clean race and should have beat them....but was convinced it was simply impossible given our V8 fuel economy.

Many congrats to LAW Motorsports for proving that it can be done. I learned a bunch watching their efforts and now understand that my 3rds in E1 were probably well deserved given the lower level of prep/execution we had vs. Mitch, Glenn & the LAW team of drivers.

Watch out for them if they ever venture out to the 25 Hour!!!

Congrats to the LAW Motorsports team. Winning an enduro takes near flawless execution from every member of the team. Taking the win with a fuel economy challenged car makes it much sweeter. Big thumbs up!

...E1 is where a CMC car class's. by fuel rules, do you mean:...

My bad, maybe I'm thinking E0? That's even more impressive, congrats again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there glen I have been off radar but wanted to put in my two cent. That is four total from the other post.

Mike Nunley and myself have been running sn197's in EO. If you haven’t learned there is no real way with OUT a LOT of LUCK that you can beat ES. The trick is unlimited fueling.

What we have done is a 24 gallon fuel cell and ran the vents up to the top of the car and out the top, put a cap on it. Then we took the fill port and put a Y fill port so that we could fill with two can at one time. The rules (for the 25hour at least) do not say one fuel man.

SO we pull the cap off the vent (which is 1/2 the size of the fuel port) and then dump two 5 gallon can in under a minute

We are building the actual cell right now but we made a model of it and work great.

Sounds like you all had a lot of success nice job

CMC and CMC2 cars are not that bad for enduro racing we have found just dont crash like we did. after reviewing all the tape and studies done, crashing is the number one thing to slow you down.

• 10 months later...

Well we just finished another Enduro. A 6hr this time.

E2 (new class for CMC) Class Win and also the Overall Win!

Put down a couple GT3's and a Farrari Challenge car (current vintage).

As usuall, the crew was perfect. Zero penalties out of the 3 enduros we have won.