• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• Glenn

• jeffburch

• Dave Schotz

I was told I shouldn't do as you suggest because it might appear to my competitors that I was editing the PCM.

That seems pretty ridiculous to me, and does make your viewpoint more understandable.

Wonder what would be said about this gem of a product: http://www.advantagemotorsports.com/PDG.htm

I have been looking to purchase something like that. MSD makes one called the Dashhawk as well as some other companies at half that price. Would be nice to monitor and record knock and a/f ratio.

Doug-people also remove the emissions to remove clutter from the engine bay and make it easier to work on.

I am a little more aggressive than Mitch as I think we should be able to tune the computers. I have to run a restrictor so it seems I should be able to do what is needed to get the engine to run right and be healthy. We already have the dyno as the equalizer. To me tuning the ECU is no different than me going to the dyno for a day or more and trying different restrictors, air lids, air filters, exhuast systems etc. Well actually it would be different as it would be cheaper than doing everything else.

Brad-not only am I lazy but I am cheap. I understand what you say about the knock sensors just cutting timing and not going into limp mode. However it would have been nice for me to know that I had a knock sensor problem with an SES light coming on instead of running that way for several events. Why do I want to ECU Tune.

As stated before I would like to know if I have a problem with my car with the SES light coming on. I wouldn't have an advantage since there aren't carbed cars in CMC2 so maybe it should only be allowed in CMC2?

Doing a tune could certainly help the health of my engine when running a restrictor. I have plenty of power unrestricted but still have room to increase my power with the restrictor I am running. Next time I go to the dyno I will have more than just a 50 and 55 mm plate so maybe a 51 or 52 will be the perfect setup for my car.

As long as there are still carbureted cars running in the class, allowing tuning of the ECU will be an unfair advantage for EFI cars because of the ability to accomplish powerband manipulation that is simply impossible with a carburetor and a stock ignition system. EFI cars already have the advantage of automatic A/F corrections for altitude and temperature compared to a carb. There are advantages and disadvantages to both carbs and EFI, but the carbed cars should not be rendered wholly obsolete by a rule change that further extends the advantages of EFI.

As long as there are still carbureted cars running in the class, allowing tuning of the ECU will be an unfair advantage for EFI cars because of the ability to accomplish powerband manipulation that is simply impossible with a carburetor and a stock ignition system. EFI cars already have the advantage of automatic A/F corrections for altitude and temperature compared to a carb. There are advantages and disadvantages to both carbs and EFI, but the carbed cars should not be rendered wholly obsolete by a rule change that further extends the advantages of EFI.

And likewise, an EFI car shouldn't have it's life shortened because you happen to chose a carb car.

What evidence do you have of shortened life expectancy from EFI cars running with the SES light on?

Thanks for all the input in this post.

The original poster, me, has enough information to determine my future.

I'll stay with the old school cmc car.

I've owned/tracked an LS1 in the past.

Knowing what's going on with it (under the hood) is certainly important.

I'll lay and wait for this to shake out.

Not ready for primetime is my assessment.

jb

What evidence do you have of shortened life expectancy from EFI cars running with the SES light on?

Excuse me? Where did I say that?

I said all along that screwed up A/F ratios would shorten the life expectency.

Screwed up A/F ratios with kill O2s

Dead O2s will set a code.

How will I know with an SES light glowing all the time?

Don't mess with the OBD port.

So what do I do?

Look ... today was not a good day for me and I probably have vented too much as it is. And I can't match King Matt and Queen Adam as they are master-debaters (say it real fast).

I do get it ... nothing will change till the right people are affected.

I love the rules the way they are

Next subject (do some of you guys have too much time on your hands..).

Tony Guaglione

JB-

I am running cats on my CMC2 LS1 car. Same exhuast configuration that it ran in T2.

If I ever get rid of them I guess the money that I can sell them for will have to be spent on O2 sims instead of turning them off in the computer which would be much cheaper.

I love these antiquated rules that combine carbed cars with huge wings.

Yes I do have too much time on my hands right now but with a hurt back I can't work on the car but I could still hook up my laptop and turn off the o2's.

Bryan

JB... sims are available... just not from Casper anymore...

Alan Blaine still gets them from a supplier without an issue... I just purchased a brand new set from him 4 weeks ago.

Thanks,

Dave

I love the rules the way they are

Next subject (do some of you guys have too much time on your hands..).

Tony Guaglione

• 1 month later...

i also agree with eliminating the emission codes. also for vats, not all systems can be bypassed using a simple resistor. for example weeks mustang at infineon missed qualifying on saturday becaused a simple sensor failed. a long trip from sonoma to sacramento fixed the problem, but only because that dealer was the only one around that stocked that particular part. the newer cars are waiting for a frequency rather than resistance, and this includes the ls1 camaros as well as the mod motor mustangs.

If this was such a big deal, how come it is not being enforced at all? yes, there are ways around inspections, but i feel that if someone took the time to include it in the rules, then it should somehow be utilized. I think this would be very useful because it takes very little effort to make such an impact on hp and torque.