Does anyone have a problem with this battery?

MHISSTC

What did that big leaded battery cost?

I don't have the receipt with me, but it was in the neighborhood of $130.

buy the type 24 battery that weighs the most

The OEM battery group size is 56, and according to the above discussion, the group 24 battery wouldn't be legal.

buy the type 24 battery that weighs the most

The OEM battery group size is 56, and according to the above discussion, the group 24 battery wouldn't be legal.

My interpretation of the rules is that any "average over-the-counter car" battery from a local parts store would be acceptable. Whether a group 56, 58, 24, 34, 78, etc.

I understand your frustration about making weight. It can seem crazy that you have to spend so much time engineering that much weight back into the car. There are lots of little things that "could" be added to your car that could easily add an additional 50-75 lbs. to it. They could all benefit the car but would of course cost $$.

I'm not sure your exact setup but you could add:

Bigger radiator, oil cooler, strut tower brace, k-member brace, panhard bar, switching from stock brakes to 12" / 11.65", even full-tread tires.

My Fox Coupe comes in at 3160 w/ 160 lb. driver, 80-100 lbs. of ballast (depending on race length), a tremec 3550 (30 lbs. heavier than T-5), and a "heavier" battery box. Without my tremec and battery box I would never make weight even with 150 lbs. of ballast.

If ya'll come to Hallett we can talk and bounce ideas off each other. Good luck with the challenge.

We do appreciate the suggestions on how we can bump our weight up with useful pieces.

Our Group 8D battery was an in stock off the shelf item at our local All Pro parts house.

The car and primary driver will be at Hallett, hopefully at minimum weight...or at least really darn close.

We've already overspent our car budget as it is this year. Next year, as the budget allows, we hope to add more performance related and allowable parts to the car like bigger tires and wheels, a panhard bar, 5-lug hubs/12" brakes, so making weight will be less of a concern next year. We were just trying to get it up to weight as easily and cheaply as possible...so far without success...in this initial rookie year just so we can get some seat time.

I received untold amounts of grief for talking about fielding a car and not getting it done over the last few years. This year Dave and I pooled our resources and formed a team. We finally got a car out there and are happy to be out there puttering around in our underpowered, safe, and reliable car while we watch others miss out on track time as they try to cope with their own mechanical and budget issues.

We do appreciate the suggestions on how we can bump our weight up with useful pieces.

Our Group 8D battery was an in stock off the shelf item at our local All Pro parts house.

The car and primary driver will be at Hallett, hopefully at minimum weight...or at least really darn close.

We've already overspent our car budget as it is this year. Next year, as the budget allows, we hope to add more performance related and allowable parts to the car like bigger tires and wheels, a panhard bar, 5-lug hubs/12" brakes, so making weight will be less of a concern next year. We were just trying to get it up to weight as easily and cheaply as possible...so far without success...in this initial rookie year just so we can get some seat time.

I received untold amounts of grief for talking about fielding a car and not getting it done over the last few years. This year Dave and I pooled our resources and formed a team. We finally got a car out there and are happy to be out there puttering around in our underpowered, safe, and reliable car while we watch others miss out on track time as they try to cope with their own mechanical and budget issues.

Scott. As you, Rich and I have discussed we are not that concerned about the car being a little bit light when you guys race with us. We just want to have fun and good clean racing.

I'm happy that I could help Dave knock his times down at PMI. He keeps running those times and he and I will be side by side the whole race weekend. You guys keep it up and I will have to get my lazy ass out too the garage and fix my over weight and under powered problems.

you guys are going to make me spend money and I wont be able to brag about having 3500 in my third place in points car anymore

Sucks you guys live so far away.

If the wife and i move out of state like we are thinking you guys can have my spare fox sparts for cheap. I really dont want to haul that stuff 500 miles east with me.

kyle

If the wife and i move out of state like we are thinking you guys can have my spare fox sparts for cheap. I really dont want to haul that stuff 500 miles east with me.

DUDE!

Next year, as the budget allows, we hope to add more performance related and allowable parts to the car like bigger tires and wheels, a panhard bar, 5-lug hubs/12" brakes, so making weight will be less of a concern next year.

Bigger tires and wheels? Is this a CMC2 car?

JJ

Bigger tires and wheels? Is this a CMC2 car?

Yup. We found a good deal on shaved Toyos that the intended purchaser refused in a size that would fit well on a set of 16x7 4-lug Pony rims we already had. We already have a set of 16x7.5 5-lug factory Ford wheels we're planning on using next year....if we get the 5-lug swap done in the upcoming off season.

Good thing I weigh 200lbs, or I wouldn't be able to make minimum with the ballast rule either! Here are a few useful things that will legally add non-ballast weight:

Scattershield

Accusump

Fire system

Cool suit

Fuel cell

All of that costs money, but has other benefits beyond just weight. You can also put the stock passenger seat back in. I wouldn't start hanging weight back on the front of the car, since that only makes a bad thing (weight distribution) worse.

Another idea Hank and I discussed the other day (when I nixed your giant battery idea), was a big wing that weighs a lot .

I like the subframe idea, passenger seat and max out on the steel plates. That should get you close.

If we did the wing, we'd have to set the wing for zero downforce. If we added a wing with downforce without also adding some type of aero to the front to produce at least an offsetting amount of downforce equal to that in the rear, the car would plow straight off every corner nose first with huge amounts of understeer.

Unfortunately, a wing doesn't make as much sense in CMC as it does AI since we are not allowed to also run things like front splitters. Can we add a wing to the hood instead of the trunk lid? It wouldn't obstruct vision too much if we mounted it really high.

8.5.4. Any rear spoiler (rear wing) may be used. The rear spoiler shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above perpendicular to the ground. Excluding endplates, the spoiler shall not be any taller than 11†from the deck of the car. The spoiler must fit securely with minimum modifications to the body and not significantly obstruct the driver's vision.

It doesn't really specify that the rear wing must be at the rear of the car.

You might be onto something here

jb

8.5.4. Any rear spoiler (rear wing) may be used. The rear spoiler shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above perpendicular to the ground. Excluding endplates, the spoiler shall not be any taller than 11†from the deck of the car. The spoiler must fit securely with minimum modifications to the body and not significantly obstruct the driver's vision.

It doesn't really specify that the rear wing must be at the rear of the car.

You might be onto something here

jb

Thats what we thought about the battery

With the low amounts of power the car is making a wing of any kind would only add drag and slow us down.

...the car would plow straight off every corner nose first with huge amounts of understeer.
Ah, just like Camaros. Now we're getting to "equal"cars!

...the car would plow straight off every corner nose first with huge amounts of understeer.
Ah, just like Camaros not setup by LAW Motorsports, those fast guys in Texas. Now we're getting to "equal"cars!

Fixed ...