Future Spec Engines

comeback kid

Of course you will be able to run 16s if the rule changes to allow 17s. It's a maximum, just like the current rule is a maximum 16x8. Does anybody really think that means 16x7.5s or even 15x7s are illegal?

BTW, I have compared data between my car and Jeff Feit's AI car (4th at last year's Nationals) and there is virtually no discernable difference in available lateral grip between the 255 and 275 Toyos. You will not be at any major disadvantage tire-wise if you stay on 16s. The ability to run the bigger brakes with 17s may be a different story. I would certainly think that at a minimu, the Cobra R Brembos are the way to go on the Mustangs, but with the current rules in CMC-2, there are many more high-zoot options than that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt1548534716

• comeback kid

• ls168camaro

• mitchntx1548534714

Change creates anxiety. The amount of anxiety is directly proportional to amount of cash one forsees draining from the bank account.

I don't see the sky as falling, but I do see a few getting extremely frustrated with the rules being significantly altered as many times as they have over the last 3 years. You have to admit, there have been significant changes to a series marketed as stable.

This series just isn't as stable as it once was, if recent history is any indicator. Just like when the 4th gens were "phased in", this most recent change will see several years of rules massaging in the name of parity. See first sentence ...

Will this remerger of the 2 series get back to that? Maybe that's the overall objective.

The appearance today is focusing on the series and seemingly little on the racers. "Build it and they will come" in this economy is a slippery slope all unto itself. Lot's of good drivers and great folks are racing on a very slim budget. This stretches that budget significantly.

There is an arguement that 'you don't have to be competitive to have fun' and there is significant truth to that. But the reality is no one goes racing hoping to just run mid-pack. And if a new guy (or a vet) doesn't feel as though they have any shot at all at finishing close to up front, they'll find something else to do with their disposable income.

See crazy question #2 ... What is broken that needs fixing? Isn't overall car count stable or even up? I know that CMC specific car count is off, but NASA is still seeing the same if not more cars with the series divided into categories.

Change creates anxiety. True statement but it hits me in several different ways. I currently have a back of the pack car. Not very satisfying at all. I intended to remedy that situation this year with a fresh motor for 2009. Now what to do? Do I start a build on a motor for 2010...and run at the back of the pack for another year with the set up I have,(cause I can't afford to build 2 motors)...and then put the new motor in for '10...OR sit out a year, (which at age 55 is really not what I want to do since I may never get to race again), and hope that I can join the fun again in the future? I am getting better at driving and really feel like I can get as much out of my car as it has to give and now I will have to adjust to the new HP levels and everything else plus spend more money to get competitive. I just get this sick feeling in my stomach when I think about the whole thing. I finally get to race...something I have wanted to do since I was a kid...and realize that my entire racing career may b only 2 seasons long. Like the Prophet said...Change creates anxiety! Gary