• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt1548534716

• cmc35

• Tri-Agan

• Pat Stone1548534713

It's not. Well shoot here I thought I was at the center of this thing and now I'm just so disappointed . I bet we have the biggest field of the year for any group in the country at Infineon June 28-29. What say a little wager with the Texas boys? Free beers all around. Seriously though, I think i will be crewing for Brady at Mid Ohio so he can give you a run for your money there, speedy Glen.

PS

Building a new car here, but I probably should preemptively sign up before the fees skyrocket. Not sure if it will be done in time to qualify either. A lot of people are laying low this year it seems, for a variety of reasons.

Easy answer,economy.....

Gas $4.50 a gallon

Jobs..lack of

Business.. lack of

I think you will see the guys that are far away run the local stuff a bit more and not go, and the local guys will go to tyhe Nationals, that is what I'm seeing so far.

This is what I see right now.

We will run fewer races in the West Coast next year which means more cars at eacn event and way less travel.

Tony Guaglione

Maybe this situation with the gas and economy will result in serious conversations about spreading the nationals location around to different parts of the USA, or else it will be mostly the same local folks each year.

"A recession is when it happens to your neighbor, a depression is when it happens to you"

It's not just CMC and NASA...the same turnout complaints exist in motorcycles, SCCA, etc...by the time of the Championships, diesel will be almost $6.00 per gallon and gas $5.50 plus...SCCA has shown that their National program has serious participation issues this year due to the economy (and other builtin SCCA problems); the SCCA regional program is stronger but still suffering....who was it that said "it's the economy, stupid"...true words...great plan decreasing the number of races for 2009..regional race counts should still stay strong but as noted by others, is it worth the time and money given the current situation for large participation at National events like the Championships...we'll know the answer soon, but I expect a significant fall off from last years out of area entrants due to cost factors....locally with fewer races it should be better car counts and each race more important...looking forward to spectating at Sears Point in a few weeks...I'm betting 25 CMC cars will show for this weekend...long term, I'm inpressed CMC is already moving to structure the series for the benefit of the participants with regard to tight money and time for many of its member racers..that's just another example of how this series leads the way in user friendly racing...good job CMC....rp

Ditto what Pat said.

For most of us in the East it would be $1,000 in just fuel for the tow vehicle.

With average car count of 15-20 at regional races, I think 99% of the East will race close to home.

wow! i pulled from Fort Worth, TX the last two years and spend about $1200 round trip and that included fuel for the car too.

at this point i plan on going. i'll be doing it on the cheap for sure. sleeping at the track and all that.

FYI, Mid-Ohio is 20 miles closer to Chantilly, VA than it is from Cedarburg, WI, and you don't have to drive through Chicago! This might change your perception of "local," Kent.

It's almost exactly 900 miles round-trip from my house to the track, and it takes between 7.5 and 10 hours depending on Chicago traffic. My truck uses about 110 gallons of 87 octane at 8.5mpg with the enclosed trailer. That's about half of the $1000 estimate even at $4.50/gal.

But I still agree participation at this year's Nationals will be down for most classes.

My new 2008 F-350 is averging 6.2 MPG while towing. It's crap.

I live closer to MO than the rest of the gang. If most of our group decided to go, I would consider it even though it's $700+ in fuel for just me. Giving $700 away just isn't worth it to most of us when we have 3 more events this year at a track that is 45 minutes away.

My new 2008 F-350 is averging 6.2 MPG while towing. It's crap.

What.....the.......f*ck?

What are you towing? Is yours a gasser or oilburner?

Costas

cars and such...

I was thinking the same thing. I tow a 24-ft enclosed with a 1996 F-250 gas 7.5L that get 10mpg unloaded and 8-9 towing. It's horrific that a brand-new truck could be so inefficient, unless he's towing a 48-footer or something like that.

The new diesels are REALLY bad on gas. The Ford V10's are now getting better milage than the PSD's loaded. Mainly due to the DPF with REGEN, emissions and low sulfur fuel. Lots of TQ at 650 ft lbs but really bad milage loaded.

I get 12.5 unloaded with my 05 F250 V10 and 9-10 loaded for comparison w/a 24' enclosed trailer @65-70mph.

The new diesels are REALLY bad on gas.

They should be bad on gas - they're diesels.

FWIW, I regularly see ~14mpg towing an open 16' trailer with my '07 F250 CC PSD.

As for making the Nats.....the "schedule" I had in place the past 2 years that paid my way to Mid-O fell apart this year. That, coupled with several other issues (living/working in SoCal since April, staying here until August, cost of fuel, not interested in getting hit for the Big Race any more, been away from the family too much lately) are keeping me away.

Plus.....I've been to Mid-O twice - it's a nice track, but there's other places I want to race.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, it's the new diesel. The problem is the new emission requirements. I get about 11-12 around town when I am empty and I averaged 6.2 mpg when I towed down to SC for a race about a month ago. It's pretty bad right now. Hopefully the mileage will improve after I get some miles on it. If fuel prices go up any higher, I will almost be paying a dollar a mile while towing.

I figure from Raleigh, NC it would cost me at least $600 in fuel @ $4.25 a gallon. That is two weekends at VIR racing.

I ran three times out in Topeka for the SCCA Solo 2 Championships and have a real good idea of what it takes to be competitive. And I don't think I am ready for 2008. My hope was to be ready in 2009 and budget accordingly. There is no reason to spend $$$ entry fees, $$$ on tires and $$$ on gas if I am not ready to win.

I had entertained the thought of 2008, but the cost of fuel nixed that for this year. I can not justify doing it on a whim.

Holy Schmoly! I think I'll go outside and kiss my Duramax!

I agree! Another data point: 03 2500 Ram w/5.9 Cummins 5 speed. unloaded: 19-20 around town, 24 Hwy. With Adam's trailer and my car round trip to Buttonwillow 17-18 (thanks Adam!).

-Don

With fuel economy that low and diesel prices so high, sales of new diesel trucks must be tanking. I know there is no way I could justify buying a new truck given the amount I use mine. It would take 20 years to pay it back. I would like to find an older 7.3L Powerstroke though...

I would like to find an older 7.3L Powerstroke though...

So would everybody else who bought a 6.0L Powerstroke!

RPM Boys Racing will be in the hizzy in September to take another shot at the FFC class in #64.

Mark