Nationals 2008 Entry List?

Glenn

So would everybody else who bought a 6.0L Powerstroke!

Not everyone. I really like my '07. Sure, I'd like to see better mileage - wouldn't everyone? Best mileage is right at 19mpg, cruising @ 65mph on the freeway. Hard to complain with a ~7000lb truck.

Don - it was my pleasure helping out on Saturday.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt1548534716

• cmc35

• Tri-Agan

• Glenn

So would everybody else who bought a 6.0L Powerstroke!

Not everyone. I really like my '07.

Is yours one of the ones that hasn't been in the shop for engine trouble or broken down a few times per year? I ask all of my subcontractors about their choice of diesel pickups here at the jobsite, and I have never heard any of them have a kind word about the 2003-up Fords.

Then again, my brother's 20k mile Dodge 2500 Cummins spit out the auto tranny while towing an empty 26-foot enclosed trailer. Pick your poison, I suppose.

Mark

Yeah, it's the new diesel. The problem is the new emission requirements. I get about 11-12 around town when I am empty and I averaged 6.2 mpg when I towed down to SC for a race about a month ago. It's pretty bad right now. Hopefully the mileage will improve after I get some miles on it. If fuel prices go up any higher, I will almost be paying a dollar a mile while towing.

Care to share what you are pulling (weight + enclosed or open)? I've got an 05 Dmax crewcab 4x4 pulling down 19-21 empty (recently took a motor to Houston..), 15-17 pulling an open and 10-12 pulling a 28' enclosed (w/car/tools/golf cart/etc...~10k). I love my dmax.

Costas

cars and such...

2002 F250 Power Stroke SD 4x4 crewcab w/ cab high shell full of stuff towing a 18ft open trailer w/ a 4ooo lbs 1954 mexican taxi on board 3000 miles r/t to Chihuahua ,Mx = 14 mpg all day @ 75 mph

loaded but no trailer, as chase vehical = 18 mpg @ 85 mph (daughter drivin ) $8.19 pesos/lt

Towing to Infinion from Redding, about 200 miles, my '05 F250 Powerstroke got right at 19 at 65. Open trailer with all the essentials in the back. It only has 17K miles on it so I think it will get better. My son has an '07 Dodge Cummins and gets over 23 MPG, (not towing). These are both 4 wheel drive...aren't all trucks in Nor-Cal? Gary

2000 dodge 5.9 cummins with bd power chip, 3.55 gears, six speed manuel trans. 21mpg average empty, 18.5mpg towing open flat bed with CMC car. 14.5mpg average with 32' tag haulmark edge weighing 10k loaded. I'd make Ford take that truck back if it really gets that bad of milage.

ps

It always cracks me up, how many non-Ford drivers like to put down the PSD. (yes, Corey, you're an exception)

My experience has been nothing but positive.

1) 2005 F250 crew cab, 2x4, 17mpg empty, 16 mpg with bed full of tools and an 18' open trailer w/ CMC Mustang.

2) 2006 F250 crew cab, 4x4 (moved from Houston to Colorado,) 15mpg empty, 14.5mpg with same trailer and tools. This altitude kills mileage.

3) 2004 F350 crew cab dually 4x4 (bought a big trailer.) 15mpg with or without the open trailer / CMC load. 8.9mpg with a 15k pound gooseneck, at 70 mph. This mileage was at altitude, and it only dropped to 8.4mpg when I pulled over Raton Pass. I doubt whether any gas engine could pull this trailer over a pass, at whatever mileage.

-chris

I doubt whether any gas engine could pull this trailer over a pass, at whatever mileage.

Good point, but the flip side is that with the cost of diesel going up and some of the issues with the newers diesel engines, I think we're going to start seeing fewer people buying diesel trucks just as daily drivers or to pull light loads that a half-ton truck can handle. Back in the 70s and 80s, before everyone thought they needed to own a mini Freightliner, my parents used to pull our boat and 20-foot camping trailer with a 79 Chevy Caprice!

I think we're going to start seeing fewer people buying diesel trucks just as daily drivers or to pull light loads that a half-ton truck can handle.

And that would be a good thing.

-chris

Back in the 70s and 80s, before everyone thought they needed to own a mini Freightliner, my parents used to pull our boat and 20-foot camping trailer with a 79 Chevy Caprice!

Also back in the day, the good ol' tow bar behind the family "truckster", or the "EL CAmino".

Easy there Chris, I wasn't putting down ford trucks, I am just shocked with todays tecnology that they can sell a pickup that gets the same milage as a rig pulling 80,000lbs down the highway. That's just wrong. My freightliner FL60 averaged 10mpg pulling a 32' tag trailer from Cali. to mid ohio last year and we were going 75mph most of the way. That's a 300hp Cat with 850lbs of torque. That truck will tow a stacker with three cars in it no problem. A Detroit series 60 with 500hp gets 7mpg pulling the max of 80k. So all I was saying is I would find that milage unacceptable for a new truck. Ford could do better. But hey maybe it's too hard to resist smoking the tires with that twin turbo monster. The new trucks are way fast that's for sure.

ps

Ford could do better.

ps

Absolutely.

And I should have put a smiley in my thread about folks dissing on Fords, it would have given it the right attitude.

-chris

But hey maybe it's too hard to resist smoking the tires with that twin turbo monster. The new trucks are way fast that's for sure

If I smoke the tires for 10 feet it would cost $5.00 because it would take a gallon of fuel to do it.

I really love almost everything about the new 2008 F-350. It's a shame that they screwed up the fuel mileage of the new Powerstroke, because the old ones rocked. If I really baby it, and get a few drafts for a long period of time when towing, I can get 7.5 - 8 MPG. Once I crank it up to 75-80 MPH, it really starts sucking the fuel and I get 5.5 - 6.5.

Matt............You have to come and play out here at least once this year. Right now we will have 19 cars at Hyperfest next weekend. 11 CMC & 8 CMC2

Kent

I'd love to run with you guys. Let's all meet at Mid-Ohio in September.

My brother in law lives in Haymarket, VA, so one of these years I will try to make a trip out with the family to run on the East coast.

Not sure how we got on truck performance, but here we are as of today:

16 CMC David Balingit Elizabeth CO Ford Mustang 1998 Hanksville Hotrods/NASA Rocky Mountain

18 CMC Bryan White Metamora IL Pontiac Firebird 1984 Co-op racing

67 CMC Bob Denton Eureka IL Pontiac Firebird 1987 Hoerr Racing, Tazewood Composites.

70 CMC Glenn Landrum Fort Worth TX chevrolet camaro 1995 Moonlite Printing & Graphics & PST

95 CMC david davison dayton OH ford mustang gt 1989 fattboyz wheels tires and service

34 CMC2 David Schotz Chandler AZ Pontiac Firebird Formula 2001 SCCAForums.com / Carbotech Brakes / HP234.com / Toyo Tires

Looks like I'll be moving to Cmc!

Thought we'd have a bit better turn out, but at these gas prices I guess it isn't to surprising!

At least Cmc 1 will have 5 or more cars!

Peace,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure how we got on truck performance, but here we are as of today:

16 CMC David Balingit Elizabeth CO Ford Mustang 1998 Hanksville Hotrods/NASA Rocky Mountain

18 CMC Bryan White Metamora IL Pontiac Firebird 1984 Co-op racing

67 CMC Bob Denton Eureka IL Pontiac Firebird 1987 Hoerr Racing, Tazewood Composites.

70 CMC Glenn Landrum Fort Worth TX chevrolet camaro 1995 Moonlite Printing & Graphics & PST

95 CMC david davison dayton OH ford mustang gt 1989 fattboyz wheels tires and service

34 CMC2 David Schotz Chandler AZ Pontiac Firebird Formula 2001 SCCAForums.com / Carbotech Brakes / HP234.com / Toyo Tires

3rd time's a charm for the 3rd place guy?

Add one to the list. Got the new car running on Saturday, 78 days after I picked up the bare tub. There's still a lot to do before Autobahn in 3 weeks and the Nationals, but it looks do-able

IMG_1027.jpg