BIG CMC announcement.

Tony G

At this point in time there is little reason to believe long tubes will be allowed for 5.0 motors simply because we dont believe they'll be necessary.

What's the chance they will be allowed for the 4.6? Is the fat lady reaching for the throat spray?

John

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeffburch

• K Shaw

• mitchntx1548534714

• King Matt1548534716

Yes the 4.6 will be allowed the long tubes since the shorties do nothing on the 4.6 hi revving OHC motor.

I just ran back to back tests on a 2003 Gt... BBK Long tubes into X pipe 14-16 HP and 10 TQ ..BBK shorties 2 HP and 3 TQ same car same exhaust.

Most likely the shorties will work best on all other cars...but that is why we are are testing it all.

Tony Guaglione

Yes I have several runs with headers,with no headers,with intake kit,.

I still need to do a few more runs with a stock throttle body as I was also in the middle of testing that too vs an accufab set up.

Need to race in a week so I'll do it after I get back with more combo's listed.

Tony

After 21 pages in this thread, are we forgetting what was posted on page 1 in July?

I just spent $2k to get my SN95 up to 220/295.

We're going to need some serious help as to how we get the SN95 platform to 260hp. Jump up to the 351?

-chris

I hope Chris will correct me if I'm wrong, but except for adding long tube headers, I believe Mr. McCombs has already done everything allowed under the current and 2010 proposed rules to max out his HP/TQ numbers. What other options are available for his 5.0L?

After 21 pages in this thread, are we forgetting what was posted on page 1 in July?

I just spent $2k to get my SN95 up to 220/295.

We're going to need some serious help as to how we get the SN95 platform to 260hp. Jump up to the 351?

-chris

I hope Chris will correct me if I'm wrong, but except for adding long tube headers, I believe Mr. McCombs has already done everything allowed under the current and 2010 proposed rules to max out his HP/TQ numbers. What other options are available for his 5.0L?

Chris still has the restrictive GT choker intake manifold. Headers and e-cam may be int he works as well. Those will all wake up his 5.0. Not sure if he has pulleys or not.

Thanks for clearing that up Rich.

The next year or so is going to be interesting. If Dave T goes for the "hand-me-down" parts plan, I think I've finally come up with a workable plan to get a car of my own on the track. Kyle has to have somebody to 'school' at the back of the pack!

I hope you can get her out in 2009 Scott! It would be hella-cool to have another CMC car. Let me know if you need any help or parts. I know the biggie will be the cage for you, the rest can be somewhat adjustable or moderated.

Thanks Rich. I think I may have some bartering power with Hank, so I'm not too worried about that. The biggie for me is going to be cleaning out all the non-car crap taking up all my CMC car space in the shop so that Dave and I can get all the suspension and driveline stuff in order and getting the shell ready for a cage during the off season.

Thanks for clearing that up Rich.

The next year or so is going to be interesting. If Dave T goes for the "hand-me-down" parts plan, I think I've finally come up with a workable plan to get a car of my own on the track. Kyle has to have somebody to 'school' at the back of the pack!

oohhh is that a challenge. I'm going to make me a "How ya doin back there Scott" sticker for my rear bumper.

kyle

Another outsider perspective...I live in MN and the SCCA is more prominent up here but still wishing to support Nasa, I built a car that will work for SPO and AI. I have yet to race or even earn my comp license, but that will come in 2009.

Anyway...

The passion I see here is awesome. You guys have me checking CL for an old SN95 to build for CMC and I'll leave the AI fox in the stable. For reference while you guys are mulling over E303 cams and $150 shorty headers, the AI guys are arguing that $5300 Dart Aluminum blocks should be legal and 17x10s would work better with the R888s. It could be much worse for CMC.

I had the pleasure of driving an SN95 CMC car at the new BIR short track last month and I will say...Man! Those cars are fun!

Don't get me wrong, driving a 2700lb fox with a 300hp SBF is a riot, but the CMC car has made a lasting impression on me and may require a third garage stall. What a delightful car to flat footedly (sp?) drift around the corners. I hope the class survives this bit of Evolution. Just remember, it could be worse.

Hey Steve,

Great to hear you have been watching,and yes the CMC cars are a blast to drive.

You will see the small changes we are making will make this class even better than it is now and when your racing next to 20 other cars that are just like your's, you will know what I mean.

Have fun and ask any questions you want.

Tony Guaglione

Yes, passion is a good word to describe this group, and you can get into this racing class for less than the total cost of an AI motor. Think of it, car and all for less than a motor, and you're only going to be a few seconds slower. What a great class. A lot of fun to race with all these guys and girls.

ps

Chris still has the restrictive GT choker intake manifold.

About 10 years ago, long before there was a chassis dyno on every corner, we did some dragstrip testing with my brother's mostly stock 5-speed 1995 GT convertible (typical aftermarket exhaust and gears). We ran it with the stock SN95 upper intake and throttle body, then switched to a Fox upper intake with the SVO adapter elbow and the same stock SN95 throttle body. There was no appreciable difference in ET or MPH with either intake. Maybe it would make a difference up around the 230 rwhp area, but closer to stock HP levels, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe somebody out there has some more definitive dyno results by now that might say something different.

Mark

I believe Rich was remarking about the difference between a complete GT and a Cobra intake and not a SN95 GT vs Fox GT intake.

Chris still has the restrictive GT choker intake manifold.

About 10 years ago, long before there was a chassis dyno on every corner, we did some dragstrip testing with my brother's mostly stock 5-speed 1995 GT convertible (typical aftermarket exhaust and gears). We ran it with the stock SN95 upper intake and throttle body, then switched to a Fox upper intake with the SVO adapter elbow and the same stock SN95 throttle body. There was no appreciable difference in ET or MPH with either intake. Maybe it would make a difference up around the 230 rwhp area, but closer to stock HP levels, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe somebody out there has some more definitive dyno results by now that might say something different.

Mark

I believe Rich was remarking about the difference between a complete GT and a Cobra intake and not a SN95 GT vs Fox GT intake.

Ah, gotcha...that makes sense. At least it's some semi-useless info for the SN95 crowd! lol

Mark

• 10 months later...
8) Uh, yes...its in the current rules.

current rules, for 2009, indicate stock exhaust manifolds, must be used.

seen this:

7.24 Exhaust

All cars must use OEM stock exhaust manifolds

a few dozen times.

perhaps my question would have been better phrased:

have any decisions regarding shorties for 2010, been reached?[/i]

You must not have read all the rules.

For CMC that is correct, but for CMC2 read what headers are legal in the rules...shorties for the 5.0 and long tubes for the 4.6.

Thanks,